R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #31
Tech Master

Don't you just love racing r/c cars??????
Someone please potect us from ourselves......
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #32
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Honestly I like the no-boost classes and enjoyed them when I traveled for a race...however outlawing the programmable ESCs in the stock class is the wrong way to go for a couple of reasons. First those that wish to stay in the stock classes will be forced to buy a new ESC...and new people who start out in stock will be forced to buy a new ESC when they step up to a modified class. Having the no-boost profile was a great way to keep costs lower so the ESC could grow with the racer.
I'm split on this decision...or future decision...

I have a Tekin and like the company a lot. They have a great product and support their customers well. I like the idea of having one ESC that can be programmed to suit your class. Recently my Tekin died on me so in a pinch I bought a Speed Passion Cirtix ESC for $59.95 and it works great. So I get the low cost, entry level aspect. But we all know someone will come out with a "spec" ESC that is faster than _____ (fill in the blank). People will flock to the newer faster ESC...that's just the nature of the game. The same can be said about software, but in the case of Tekin it's free! I think ROAR may have overlooked that aspect of it.

I'm interested in hearing the manufacturers side of this.

P.S. I'm not a ROAR member...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I just dont understand who roar is talking to about these rules and decisions. They cannot possibly asking anyone that actually races these classes.

They think forcing everyone to buy new speedos and or motors every year will increase attendance?

I think they are going to force Jackson RC, to race at least 2 classes that have never been raced at the track before classes for the nats and leave 2 classes that are regularly attended by locals off the list.

We had races last year that had 50-60 entrants in 17.5 boosted and I'm pretty sure that class will not be offered by Roar for the race.

Basically roar doesnt care about race attendance or what the host track wants, they are just pushing their agenda down everyones throats. This is possibly going to hurt the attendance at this race if the proper classes are not run.

Who wants to run 21.5 unboosted on a 175x80 track with no walls? Its the nationals not a novice funster local race.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo

Last edited by Xpress; 01-11-2011 at 01:17 PM. Reason: .
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #35
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

here is some interesting facts for those who actually think we are going faster today.

Not sure we even have anything bad currently.

1/12th
ROAR nats 2007 4 cell brushed 27t Stock-10.762 fast lap
Modified Brushless 4 cell 9.8 second fast lap

ROAR nats 2008 4 cell Brushless, limited timing available to consumer close to blinky 1/12th stock 10.580 modified brushless 4 cell 9.510

ROAR nats 2009 4 cell brushless, limited timing for speedo's SPX was the most you could get. 10.2 modified brushless 4 cell 9.4

ROAR nats 2010, Lipo brushless, Sportsman rule no timing, no sponsors... Not enough entries to run
SS 1/12 expert 13.5 BL open timing. 10.1
Open Mod 1/12 Brushless, Lipo 9.3

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
they're too complex and require too much expense and investment of time to sort them out for the typical stock class racer. This is the reason that it will be fazed out by 2012. The 2011 season will still allow the
For the stock class its a good idea, but for the faster classes it would be such a fould if this decission is ever made. If you win you would be champion off the poverty... The dynamic ESC just makes that brains cann make the difference, not the wallet...

If you know how such a ESC internally works, its only technical progress...
A lot off power without the wear disadvantage off extreme starting torque...
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #37
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

People pay for this?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #38
Tech Elite

As a long time ROAR member- Typically ROAR does not listen to many people.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedybill View Post
why no adj speedos??
is there something here I'm not aware of??
Worldwide pressure on racing institutions from manufacterers that haven`t or cant develop a dynamic ESC and the propaganda they make among drivers...

It`s all money related...
rbakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
here is some interesting facts for those who actually think we are going faster today.

Not sure we even have anything bad currently.

1/12th
ROAR nats 2007 4 cell brushed 27t Stock-10.762 fast lap
Modified Brushless 4 cell 9.8 second fast lap

ROAR nats 2008 4 cell Brushless, limited timing available to consumer close to blinky 1/12th stock 10.580 modified brushless 4 cell 9.510

ROAR nats 2009 4 cell brushless, limited timing for speedo's SPX was the most you could get. 10.2 modified brushless 4 cell 9.4

ROAR nats 2010, Lipo brushless, Sportsman rule no timing, no sponsors... Not enough entries to run
SS 1/12 expert 13.5 BL open timing. 10.1
Open Mod 1/12 Brushless, Lipo 9.3
You can't compare those races unless they were run on the same track with the same layout ...

Regarding the classes ... I can see why ROAR wants to ban boosted ESCs. They take a lot of resources to tech. Even if the ESC has spec class programming, can you be sure it's really at zero timing?

That being said I think there is a place for boosted classes. I think ROAR should run 3 classes. Mod, boosted 17.5 and non boosted 17.5.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Someone has to protect us from ourselves I guess

as a long time local club member and being involved with MANY class rules ect, I have found that regardless of the rule changes EVERYONE is pissed off about it!!!

either accept it, or don't, your choice

We try to adopt modified versions of ROAR rules to suit our needs

If any of us decide to attend a ROAR race we will follow those rules, same as you would at any track you run at.

Bill
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not sure why they would do this. I mean, why dont they just implement these rules in a new class. No offense but the guys running the "stock class" (17.5 timing on speedo) are far from beginners, most are team drivers. (locally)

I would say the GT class or VTA is a beginner class not stock...

Mod is not run at club or trophy races in my area.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Z View Post
Not sure why they would do this. I mean, why dont they just implement these rules in a new class. No offense but the guys running the "stock class" (17.5 timing on speedo) are far from beginners, most are team drivers.

I would say the GT class or VTA is a beginner class not stock...

Mod is not run at club or trophy races in my area.
perhaps this is what roar is trying to change. beginners running stock and experienced forced to run superstock/mod?

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I run stock. Dont have a lot of money. I just got a RS PRO and a 17.5. Now I have to go buy a new speedo and motor.. wow what a way to spend money... Right there is $300 plus dollars down the drain. Thats a car payment LOL.
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbakker View Post
Worldwide pressure on racing institutions from manufacterers that haven`t or cant develop a dynamic ESC...
Well that rules out LRP, Tekin, and SP. Who else is there?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote