R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM   #421
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
Damn I am sure glad we quit racing after the IIC... reading this thread gave me a headache and convinced me we made the right decision
That is some messed up logic right there.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...11-Carpet-Nats

here is the link, you may have to register before it will let you in as well as waiting for the admin to approve the registeration.

Thank you Sir!
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #423
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEN View Post
Have the people who are the makers of the rules ever concidered the future
and asked the manufactuers of batteries to put more effort into 6.6V LiFe
batteries! All governing bodies around the world need to grow a pair! and maybe concider them more.

Its also funny how with all the advances in speedies and motors and batteries that the SLOWEST class to go FASTER is Modified! and also its the smallest in driver numbers no matter where you race. Enjoyable to watch the best in the world do it! but last time I looked there was a small number of them to.

Maybe the govering bodies around the world SHOULD be looking at restructuring classes rather than capping the classes that have the most
drivers in them..... There is a lot of options out there to choose from, who has the biggest pair to guide this hobby we all enjoy.
You make a good point. If an ESC/motor manufacturer released a 17.5 combo that was as fast as a 5.0 they would sell as many as they could make. And people would still not race modified because it is too fast.

As far as LiFe goes its introduction will be tough. A manufacturer could put big money into development but in the end it will still run slower than a $20.00 LiPo. This will be a tough sell when everyone wants to go faster.

It will happen eventually and could happen in some parts of the world as soon as 2012.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #424
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
got to love VTA...thanks USVTA

25.5 Novak and limited esc's ...why not..

hey ROAR...add VTA to your classes and that can serve as your entry into r/c onroad racing...

thanks again USVTA...we finally got it right...

man this is alot to read if you miss a day..geez
I think they did....21.5 --2 cell--any speedo ...Someone is the 2010 National Champ ...well as far as ROAR is concerned.
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #425
Team Tekin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy View Post
I have lost a great deal of respect for Tekin in this whole matter.
I am sorry to hear that. We do take such things very serious because we are all about doing it right. I am not sure what would make you happy. It went thru the proper channels and a solution was provided. The system worked. I feel no obligation or think it would make any difference to share technical specifics, although I understand the curiosity.

You must at least admit I am one of the few that come in here and get involved at all. My position often evolves as information is presented. Decisions are a process not a mood.

Back to work and finishing the decision process….

The issue is do we BAN programmable esc’s with a blinky mode from the spec class?

The fact is that almost everyone agrees the spec modes and non boosting esc’s are currently equal on the track. No one is complaining about any product being unfair currently. Everything is already in place to make sure it stays that way. We really do not need to change a thing and we can get back to racing.

Fear of cheating is a valid concern. However does it justify a decision to ban thousands of existing programmable esc’s from multiple brands from any class? Is this really in the best interest of everyone or just to satisfy a few with trust issues?

Does this ban actually assure us of anything or are we just making rules for the sake of rules and still dependent on the honor system and the tech process in the end anyway.

Are we making things more complicated and restrictive to NOT solve a problem that does NOT exist?
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #426
Tech Legend

If you have to blame a great company like Tekin for improving their products and introducing new technology ?

You have no clue ....

and

The same can be said for this Ex con decision's on stock .

The Ex-con has bundered & put their personal agendas first and now no where in the whole country can you find Roar rules being used .
No one track has the same stock rules now ,.
All ROAR's Fault.

Now days we have two stock class's !!!

What a disaster that's turning into .....

Now days ?
still the same-O-La....

You guys keep killing the new racers entering your on-road sport by not moving up and letting the new guy a chance for some fun .

Hopefully
some day someone will set a example and get the sport back on track....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #427
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Why not have the company that ratted out Tekin for the issues in 208 produce a few of their machines for ROAR so you can spot check ESC's to make sure they're compliant? Clearly they've got the ability to test it now.

What's the concern, that some unscrupulous company will release secret firmware that will allow racers to activate timing in their ESC after it's gone through tech by initiating some trigger sequence? Couldn't that same company just burn a different image into the EEPROM of a non-upgradable ESC that's approved for spec racing? Of course they could. If companies want to facilitate cheating, there's really nothing we can do other than ban their products outright. This preemptive ban is 'cause nobody can keep up with Tekin, and when they try, their ESC's catch on fire.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #428
Tech Elite

Sadly, the faith in the integrity of software has been broken.

So the only answer is tighter hardware controls.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #429
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post

Yeah, but the hardware still runs software, and that software image has to come from somewhere. If a company wanted to cheat, they just burn another image to the same hardware with the cheats enabled. To my knowledge, you can't run a sensored motor without software.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #430
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
The issue is do we BAN programmable escís with a blinky mode from the spec class?

The fact is that almost everyone agrees the spec modes and non boosting escís are currently equal on the track. No one is complaining about any product being unfair currently. Everything is already in place to make sure it stays that way. We really do not need to change a thing and we can get back to racing.
I can't see how requiring racers to buy a "new" esc for this new rule. The benefit of buying ONE esc that can GROW with the user/customer seems to make sense. As a consumer wouldn't you want to simply invest one time on a purchase such as this?

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

So I guess you have NEVER made a mistake or got something wrong ?
And from your post it sounds as if any one or any company that has made a mistake should never be allowed to redeem themselves?
It has already been stated that a mistake was made and corrected and they should be given a chance to redeem themselves.I have NO INTREST with the company but I believe EVERYONE should be given a second change.Our court system of justice allows that for criminals and this is no where near a criminal act.
O.K. that's my opinion..... flame on
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #432
Tech Master

Quote:

Everyone has his opinion.

As was stated before software and hardware are not so easy to combine as one might think. "0" degree timing is also not really "0" timing. Otherwise the motor would probably not even run or way out of effeciency rate. It needs some timing to run. People see an artifical "0" as true zero but that just isn't the case. It depends on the hardware and sofware and how you interpret what "0" is. (which isn't "0", it is only by name). As stated with real "0" timing the motor would not run. For simplicity sake, people made something as "0" just to make it simple to understand for the end users (you).

It is old news ....it got adressed propperly and there is absolutly no speed difference with other brands "0". Even others on here stated that there was absolutly no difference.

Now people are still bringing the old subject out as though it is still the case, that it is still not ok or whatever . Wake up...It got adressed and all is good.

The system worked to make sure it got adressed (whatever it was). I don't see that the faith in the integrity of software is being lost. I see the opposite. When there is a problem it will be known and fixed for free and you can do it at home if your esc has the capability.

Speeds are the same. Try it and you will see.
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #433
Tech Addict

If the car is run on track, then picked up by tech and checked there should be no way or opportunity to change profiles. Whatever method they used to determine the timing advance of 208 should be used by tech to verify the legality of the SPEC profile that each of the top cars is running. Unless we get to the point where somehow the cars profile can be changed remotely I don't see how it could ever be an issue.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #434
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerjetta29 View Post
If the car is run on track, then picked up by tech and checked there should be no way or opportunity to change profiles. Whatever method they used to determine the timing advance of 208 should be used by tech to verify the legality of the SPEC profile that each of the top cars is running. Unless we get to the point where somehow the cars profile can be changed remotely I don't see how it could ever be an issue.
O.K. let me ask this question: IF as has been stated there Is a difference in the "spec" settings, or they are worried that there is a difference,wouldn't the race director SEE that one car is markedly faster than the others?Logic would say yes to that question,right?And if it is then wouldn't it be the responsibility of the race director to check said car?
If the "spec" settings don't make the car faster than the "other" ESCed cars then what's the problem. I contend that this all politically motivated and improper to BAN types of ESC's for a problem that has been proven to be fixed.
flame on
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #435
Team Tekin

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

IF the issue is simply that the profiles can be altered on the fly from "spec blinky" to another profile and back again. This too can be altered with a quick software update. We could simply NOT allow the user to switch from "blinky spec" to another profile WHILE in blinky mode. And THAT update woud once again be FREE!

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote