R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #241
Tech Elite

i really dont care on timing one way or another, but racing seems to be closer without. just dont ban speedos that have blinky programs. forcing everyone to go buy new speedo's again is stupid. it could be the final nail in the coffin.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #242
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyd View Post
We ran a 17.5 Blinky no timing class at are dirt oval race this year (460 plus entries) and had no problems teching this class and no problems with cheating what so ever. It was very easy to police. Both the Tekin and Castle speedos where used and checking for the ROAR blinky no timing was a breeze for me and the other tech. Don't get much easier. Very simple.

At the end of the day no matter what rules you make and no matter how much you try to control classes the end result is the fast guys with boost will be the fast guys without because they drive and setup their stuff better than others and that will first and foremost win races. The best drivers and setups will always prevail.
Absolutely, and I'll add that if the arguement is that new drivers don't want to deal with programming a speedo etc why couldn't the programmable speed controls sold in the US come loaded with a stock no-timing profile so it can be bolted right in and run without the need of a computer. Then, if or when the person decides to move up they don't have to buy a new speed controller. Admittedly I've only raced one big race since the zero timing profiles have been out and didn't hear any complaints from the drivers or the people doing tech. What I did hear was largely positive. Having a easiliy verifiable 0 timing mode IMO was a great step forward but the new structure feels like a couple steps back. Instead of killing on-road with a bullet to the head we can instead kill it with a thousand cuts.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #243
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
I agree in part, but I think all the bells and whistles is making on-road too costly and expensive to enter. There are all sorts of things that could be spec'd out battery C rating, etc. I just think the speedos are the big barrier for most right now. I think it is too much of a load for the new racer to buy and try to figure out from the start. The off-road in our area seems to have more "thrive" in our area because of the buy stupid and run it stupid rules. I just put a brand new B4.1 together with $100 worth of electronics in it. And in a few weeks of racing I will be competitive with that. On-road stuff approaches $300 in electronics and I am not even competitive with that.
In sum, I just want to see on-road grow and prosper here and everywhere, and I think we have to look at reducing sticker price and complication to help it do that.
so is it your opinion that the general public is not smart enough to figure out the new technology?
You are defined in life by how you respond to defeat!
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #244
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Yes. And then for the nationals it would be up to roar and the host to come up with the correct classes for the nationals.

EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
I've seen and been to a lot of races. For onroad I can see having a slower class.

Spec esc with a 21.5 seems reasonable for the "Amatuer/Sportsman" class. However there needs to be a class between this and open Mod. 17.5 Boosted seems to be this class. It will allow the majority of racers to continue to use the exsisting equipment they've already invested in(esc's and motors).
how bout 17.5 blinky stock, 17.5 boosted and mod? pick two classes to run at the nats 17.5 stock and 17.5 boosted or 17.5 boosted and mod??? you cant run blinky stock and mod as your 2 TC classes??? i think this would be a very happy medium for most carpet tracks and most outdoors tracks . . .and maybe we can get the big three (birds, iic, champs )to run them also
Old 01-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #245
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post

how bout 17.5 blinky stock, 17.5 boosted and mod? pick two classes to run at the nats 17.5 stock and 17.5 boosted or 17.5 boosted and mod??? you cant run blinky stock and mod as your 2 TC classes??? i think this would be a very happy medium for most carpet tracks and most outdoors tracks . . .and maybe we can get the big three (birds, iic, champs )to run them also

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #246
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
so is it your opinion that the general public is not smart enough to figure out the new technology?
A quick look at anyway of the esc threads.. that's a yes
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #247
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post

BMI - Parma - The Raceway at Beaver, PA
-showtime- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #248
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the birds are running 17.5 amatuer, 17.5 blinky, 17.5 expert, and mod this year

HotShot RC / Nexus Racing
Xray T2 '009 w/Exotek Chassis, BMI DB12rr, Tamiya F104X1
Team Durango DEX210
ChadRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #249
Tech Initiate

The way things are going we will have to hit two rocks together to make fire. What does this say to the RC industry? Fire all your engineers and produce a product with a blinking light.
A.B.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #250
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub
Thumbs up

Awesome line up in TC at the Birds!!....... Something for everyone....... Isn't that what this hobby is all about!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #251
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.B.R View Post
The way things are going we will have to hit two rocks together to make fire. What does this say to the RC industry? Fire all your engineers and produce a product with a blinking light.
if your not careful your post count is gonna be over 10 in no time.

You coming to nats? I have a dinner and beer with your name on it.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Yes. And then for the nationals it would be up to roar and the host to come up with the correct classes for the nationals.

EA
Yang, EA, this is exactly what I posted at the beginning of the thread. It has worked well in the 1/28th scale world. And although people don't take us very seriously many times, this has proven to be a successful, growing segment of the RC Racing industry with organized events all over the World. This is a very INCLUSIVE way of doing racing and each individual club is able to adapt what suits them best.

In the case of our club, a small track as ours (80x60 with 10ft lanes) , a 13.5 Boosted set-up is something very few of us can drive, so we chose 17.5 boosted and non boosted as our racing classes. Across town, we have Gulf Coast Raceway, which boasts a 250 ft straightaway (and 15-20 ft lanes). 13.5 motors would make far better options for non-boosted and boosted classes. Each track is different and a sanctioning body should understand this in order to accommodate more clubs and racers in a more "specialized" manner. It really does not over-complicate things either. It is a very simple solution that caters to each track best.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #253
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
A quick look at anyway of the esc threads.. that's a yes
I think that's a quick way to size up the situation. That and going to the track and you see all the guys with laptops surrounded by guys who look puzzled...

Maybe it's a stretch to say people aren't smart enough, but how about those who have vast amounts of track time seem smarter than those who get to the track less.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #254
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
Yes and no. I think it is too much for a NEW racer to figure out from the start. And personally, I don't have time to spend at the track figuring out the best and most effective way to use it. When I am there I want to spend my little bit of track time driving and practicing. Not in the pit wondering where to move the tabs. I think Tekins are awesome. They make the best speed controls and support them 200%. LOVE EM! I am just throwing ideas out that might help this section of the hobby. $350-$500 chassis, $170 speedo, $90-$120 motor, $85 steering servo, $150 battery.......finding someone to buy into it and do it: Priceless!

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to kill the new speedos. They are awesome. I just think there is a middle road somewhere that makes on-road more inviting... That is the reason I am on here typing and discussing.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #255
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mracer View Post
Yes and no. I think it is too much for a NEW racer to figure out from the start. And personally, I don't have time to spend at the track figuring out the best and most effective way to use it. When I am there I want to spend my little bit of track time driving and practicing. Not in the pit wondering where to move the tabs. I think Tekins are awesome. They make the best speed controls and support them 200%. LOVE EM! I am just throwing ideas out that might help this section of the hobby. $350-$500 chassis, $170 speedo, $90-$120 motor, $85 steering servo, $150 battery.......finding someone to buy into it and do it: Priceless!

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to kill the new speedos. They are awesome. I just think there is a middle road somewhere that makes on-road more inviting... That is the reason I am on here typing and discussing.
This is why the separate classes are good. I think the overall concern of the more seasoned racers are different than the beginners. The Amateur and beginners' classes are fine with no boost. This simplifies things. But the Boosted classes should not just be killed off, just kept as separate entities for people that want to be there. Boosted set-ups are not for everyone, nor should they be, but they should be kept as another class option, given that there are enough entrants at events. 17.5 Boosted is a lot less expensive than to run full blown mod and also serves as a great club and regional class, if anything. It is easier on tires, suspensions and drive trains than full blown modified racing, which can be prohibitively expensive at some asphalt tracks.