R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #211
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Gag !

These on-roader's sure will ague till the moon turn green rather than let the beginner race & win stock like the old days & the experience racers race mod and everyone having fun ...


I blame Roar for it all ....
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #212
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

The real issue here is programmability and having the timing features available in the escís at all. The fear is that if the esc can advance the timing someone will slip it out of blinky mode and cheat. Fear of a few people cheating seems like a weak foundation to dictate everyoneís choices and make thousands of escís illegal from all the leading manufacturers that people already own.

All the manufacturers supplied a blinky mode as requested. A decent argument can be made that it falls to the governing bodies to include it in the tech process rather than everyone lose their freedom of choice to make it easier for them.

We all agree we need a slower class and even power for close racing.

We all agree spec mode or non boosting escís help get us there with existing motors and make it easier for some.

We all agree it is popular at some tracks.

The fact is the blinky modes and non boosting escís are all equal.

Most of us agree we need a middle class where dynamic timing still has a place. Something between slow and stupid crazy fast for us wanna be mod drivers. Also at large events the expense and time is huge to run 1 class.

I realize what I am opening up by saying this so letís just get it done. 208 was an honest misunderstood mistake and it was corrected quickly and for free. If nothing else it shows we are motivated to police each other and the updatability is not an issue anyone has to worry about.

Programability comes down to a little extra tech effort after the race if there are any questions. The blinking leds indicating spec mode are pretty easy to see. Ours in particular are obnoxious on purpose.

Tekin Prez
__________________
[email protected]
Smarter, Smaller, Faster....
www.teamtekin.com
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #213
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
The blinking leds indicating spec mode are pretty easy to see. Ours in particular are obnoxious on purpose.

Tekin Prez
Almost distracting on a lightly painted body! LOL

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #214
Tech Master
 
2wdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
The blinking leds indicating spec mode are pretty easy to see. Ours in particular are obnoxious on purpose.

Tekin Prez
had a chuckle from that one.


So just curious...wich esc does everyone in the US have to buy now if roar has it's way?
2wdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #215
Tech Master
 
TeamB&B's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,177
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Having a ROAR Stock Spec class is great for club racing where everyone is just out to unwind (if you have a job), have fun and go home.

But this class should no be a National level class. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a racing specification that is electronically limited. Never worked in the past, and will never work in the future with any form of racing. To prove the point (I am an Engineer), ask any ESC manufacturers to guarantee (with financial bonding and penalties) that their systems are unhackable. If they could, then they would be in to the electronic voting machine business and make more money.

ROAR should make all specification for the STOCK SPEC class be scrutinizable by mechanical means. If it cannot be checked by a tape measure, scale, caliper, or template, then the spec is too complicated and open for cheating - immediately. Hell, we cannot even find 2 electronic scales at a R/C race that show the same weight. That is why NASCAR has all mechical specifications. Their scales are certified and stamped. Even adding simple electronic fuel injection would destroy the class.

My company has a 5 gal. can to calibrate gas station fuel pumps. A regualar 5 gal can cost $18. A certified one cost $600. (Next time you pump gas, check out the pump's inspection sticker.)

We raced Tamiya TCS racing for a few years which is all spec'd down to the Tamiya tires. We realized after travelling a lot that Spec racing in R/C = Cheating. We now watch a Touring Stock Spec class as entertainment as many experienced racers who we know are very "imaginative" race and "shallacks" the field. The poor unprepared loosers go out and buy the tire of the day, body of the day, chassis of day, motor of day thinking that their results will improve.

This cycle is not good for the ROAR or the hobby. The solution for a Stock Spec Class is open up the ESC, use slower mechanical motors (21.5,25.5, etc), and add a lot more weight.
__________________
RCAmerica / Sweep
TeamB&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #216
Tech Elite
 
Racecrafter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: RC Mecca
Posts: 4,138
Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Everything you posted is GREAT for club racing! But this is mainly going to affect the Nationals. Do you really want to turn the Nationals into the "US Backyard Basher Nationals"? Actually Yes. I want to see the ROAR Stock National Champion be someone that none of us have ever heard of or seen in a magazine. Everyone knows that clubs and tracks will run what ever suits their racers best for weekly racing which is perfect! Thats what they should be doing. I agree.

Yang had a great idea as creating rules for several different classes for use through ROAR and allow each track (For nationals) to pick what best suits THEIR track size and region. This won't work. The main reason is that it gives the local guy that much more of an advantage. Nationally followed rules are the only way to go. We need more tracks to follow ROAR's set rules but it's hard to do since there are tracks that have already created their own. It's a double edged sword. Sounds pretty simple to me as long as we (ROAR) dont do anything stupid and create more new odd classes that are not needed. After all if you read the National guidelines now the only REQUIRED classes at the Nationals are Mod classes because of IFMAR tie ins for the Worlds. This is correct as IFMAR World Championships do not crown a "Stock World Champion" As for our National Champions we need to create a step stone path to get to the Worlds. We as an IFMAR block (Canada and USA) need to cultivate and grow racers to compete at this level. We need the more serious club racers to step up and become our future World Champions. Handing a boosted XX.5 motored car to one of them and wishing them good luck isn't going to do it. We need a serious yet reasonable start even for the Regional and National level.

And speaking of Off road wonder what they are going to think when they find out they will have to follow the same guidelines. Clearing a Double is going to be fun in 2wd buggy with a 21.5 and zero timing! LOL (Uhm Off Road is going 17.5 non boost /fixed to aid with the 3rd dimension)

EA
Don't take this as bashing you or anyone personally: Please read comments in red above.
__________________
Jimmy Wright

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #217
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, Washington
Posts: 791
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamB&B View Post
Having a ROAR Stock Spec class is great for club racing where everyone is just out to unwind (if you have a job), have fun and go home.

But this class should no be a National level class. It is IMPOSSIBLE to have a racing specification that is electronically limited. Never worked in the past, and will never work in the future with any form of racing. To prove the point (I am an Engineer), ask any ESC manufacturers to guarantee (with financial bonding and penalties) that their systems are unhackable. If they could, then they would be in to the electronic voting machine business and make more money.

ROAR should make all specification for the STOCK SPEC class be scrutinizable by mechanical means. If it cannot be checked by a tape measure, scale, caliper, or template, then the spec is too complicated and open for cheating - immediately. Hell, we cannot even find 2 electronic scales at a R/C race that show the same weight. That is why NASCAR has all mechical specifications. Their scales are certified and stamped. Even adding simple electronic fuel injection would destroy the class.

My company has a 5 gal. can to calibrate gas station fuel pumps. A regualar 5 gal can cost $18. A certified one cost $600. (Next time you pump gas, check out the pump's inspection sticker.)

We raced Tamiya TCS racing for a few years which is all spec'd down to the Tamiya tires. We realized after travelling a lot that Spec racing in R/C = Cheating. We now watch a Touring Stock Spec class as entertainment as many experienced racers who we know are very "imaginative" race and "shallacks" the field. The poor unprepared loosers go out and buy the tire of the day, body of the day, chassis of day, motor of day thinking that their results will improve.

This cycle is not good for the ROAR or the hobby. The solution for a Stock Spec Class is open up the ESC, use slower mechanical motors (21.5,25.5, etc), and add a lot more weight.

It's a lot more difficult to hack a ESC when the hardware link (hotwire, novalink or program box) isn't being sold. A hacker would need to hack the firmware and find the specs for the hardware link which the manufacturer only knows.
malkiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #218
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Don't take this as bashing you or anyone personally: Please read comments in red above.
And where exactly did the off road decision come from as I am not aware of it and havent seen it on the Excomm side either. Just curious. If we are trying to slow on road down then off road should be held to the same standard since they do run the same equipment.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #219
Tech Elite
 
theisgroup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 3,191
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecrafter View Post
Don't take this as bashing you or anyone personally: Please read comments in red above.
you misunderstand my statement. i did not say that each club can choose their own rules for each class. what i said is that each club can choose the classes that they use to compete locally, but to have rules defined for each class. the idea may be to have a spec 17.5, 17.5 boost, spec 13.5, 13.5 boost, and mod. then the clubs choose among these classes, but each class has well defined rules. this allows clubs to run what is popular in the area.
__________________
yang lai

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #220
Team EAM
 
EAMotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 9,158
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theisgroup View Post
you misunderstand my statement. i did not say that each club can choose their own rules for each class. what i said is that each club can choose the classes that they use to compete locally, but to have rules defined for each class. the idea may be to have a spec 17.5, 17.5 boost, spec 13.5, 13.5 boost, and mod. then the clubs choose among these classes, but each class has well defined rules. this allows clubs to run what is popular in the area.
Yes. And then for the nationals it would be up to roar and the host to come up with the correct classes for the nationals.

EA
__________________
Contact Us
Team EAM, Our Facebook
Team EAM | Xray | RCAmerica | Hudy | APEX Raceway and Hobbies | RC Mission | Killer Concepts | AVID | Hobbywing.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #221
Tech Addict
 
tunerjetta29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Fontana,CA
Posts: 690
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Coming Soon: Mechanical ESC's and Brushed Motors. Increased wiring costs and complex flashing lights sequences are too much for the entry hobbyist who apparently we want to draw to run in Regional and National Competitions where the travel and lodging costs far exceed the cost of his equipment.
__________________
Currently Running:
Serpent Project 4X , 17.5 Motor, Team Orion R10.1 ESC
X-Ray X1 2017, 25.5 Motor, Hobbywing X10 Pro ESC
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #222
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

If going to all unboosted classes means we can get back to differentiating our ESC's by how smooth they are rather than how fast they go on the straight, I'm all in. But banning existing ESC's, or trying to kill the "middle" class is a mistake.




Is ROAR really hiding on their forum saying "la la la I can't hear you?" If the public's perception of you is so bad you have run away, then you've pretty much already lost credibility. Why do we even care what ROAR does? The biggest races that matter to anybody certainly don't. We should just crown our national champions with the winners of Snowbirds (since IIC seems to be defunct, and it's in the beginning of the season) and be done with it.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #223
Tech Master
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerjetta29 View Post
Coming Soon: Mechanical ESC's and Brushed Motors. Increased wiring costs and complex flashing lights sequences are too much for the entry hobbyist who apparently we want to draw to run in Regional and National Competitions where the travel and lodging costs far exceed the cost of his equipment.
Can I run a rotary model or does it have to be a wiper?
__________________
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #224
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,702
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

I've seen and been to a lot of races. For onroad I can see having a slower class.

Spec esc with a 21.5 seems reasonable for the "Amatuer/Sportsman" class. However there needs to be a class between this and open Mod. 17.5 Boosted seems to be this class. It will allow the majority of racers to continue to use the exsisting equipment they've already invested in(esc's and motors).
__________________
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #225
Tech Master
 
Keith Billanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BUFFALO
Posts: 1,794
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Forgive me- I literally just walked back into RC.. I have done a search= but what is the problem with this V208? Why was it deemed Illegal over previous versions? Is V212 just a redraw of 208 with a blinking light mode?

might be wrong place, wrong time.. but EA only replies to my emails when he has NOTHING better to do
__________________
OUT
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's wrong with racing in OZ Craig1 Australian Racing 94 01-21-2003 08:24 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:52 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net