Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How important is camber? >

How important is camber?

How important is camber?

Old 08-06-2004, 04:25 AM
Tech Adept

Default How important is camber?

Like the topic says: How important is camber?

I run most of the time 1.5 to 2 degrees of camber and it seems to work. But is camber really important on a modelracing car?

I know Erik Jonk (Dutch guy who became European Champion 1:12 and Pro10 years ago) and he worked for hours on his geometry on his car and also did it with his touring car. Unfortunately he isnt racing anymore and was one of the best drivers in the world.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, it do matter.

I set camber for tire wear. If tire wear is even, you're quite sure you'll have maximum tire contact most of the time. And your tires will last longer

1,5-2,0 sound reasonably. It's important to have them the SAME, from side to side. Front/rear might differ, depending on amount of caster. More caster, less camber front. Less caster, more camber front.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 08-06-2004 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:25 PM
s2
Tech Adept

Default mod/stock camber comparisons

it would be true to say that a car running a stock motor needs less camber than a car running mod (all other variables being ket the same) ?
but how much less? say a mod setup has front camber of 1.5 and rear of 2. would reducing the numbers by 0.5 be about right?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

There is no golden rule for camber settings. You just need to try some different settings and see what works best. Adjusting for tire wear is the easiest way to do it.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Tech Master

yeah camber does matter. although there is only a minor difference in how more or less camber grips. i seem to find it affects the way my car accelerates the most. if it isnt perfectly equal all round then my car will pull to one side.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

The XXX main setup guide would be useful in this situation.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Well this brings up another topic....In F1 and CART and others like those, they set-up every corner of the car different. If you ever get a chance to look at a drivers view of a F1 car, the front wheels are way different from eachother. Why can't we setup our cars "4-corners" independent from eachother. You know, maybe you only have a problem in one particular area that has a series of tight right handers....why can't we just go down one spring rate on teh left front? Or shorten just the left front link?