R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #31
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DOMOisCOOL
What youre seeing there is part of the rear wing and diffuser assembly not the diffuser itself. That is what the car is lifted by with the rear jack and what the rear wing is supported on. The main working part of the diffuser is on both sides of that farther ahead of the rear wing. Thats how it would be on a F1 car so its hard to see it. Thats a minardi from the 95 or 96 F1 season and I dont know if it had one but some cars did. And also I meant to ask where did you find that pic? I forgot to include the question in the post and had to go back and add it. Are there more?

Last edited by nitrous36; 08-07-2004 at 12:38 PM.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #32
Tech Regular

Come on, that is a diffuser, not a rear wing support. That two side fins are used to control ( or maintance)the low pressure of the diffuser. What you see in the picture are the rear wing and the central diffuser. The side diffusers cannot extend beyond the rear drive shaft because of the regulation that's why you can't see them.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:09 PM   #33
Regional Moderator

That what I was saying. Its apart of the diffuser but not the main part of the diffuser. The guys before thuoght that was the whole diffuser itself. I was just saying there is more to it you cant see.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

In order to build a rear diffuser, you will have to build a chassis that incorporates a rear diffuser. adding it to an existing platform will not only make it ineffective, but will add weight.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #35
Regional Moderator

I know but it would be good for looks. You could do it to make your car look more like a real race car. But then you would have to remove it every time you race it.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:45 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

To those who don't know:

Diffusers are underneath the car, they are designed to add downforce from under the car, which in turn keeps the car center from lifting into the air. The rear wing from R/C cars only provides downforce to the rear tires, and the design of the lexan bodys front end provides downforce in the front tires. Adding a rear diffuser will give the car more downforce in the rear.

If you can successfully create a chassis with a diffuser that has enough downforce in the rear, it will eliminate the need for a rear wing, thus reduces drag from the body and gives you more speed.

That is why it is outlawed.

edit: wrong car for this type of physics....touring cars don't have this kind of diffuser.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote