R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default HB TCX or TRF 417 or Xray T3 ?

Hello everyone,

As from the title, my question is : which car is best performing and is " better " ?
I know its a very hard question to answer as now days touring cars are just down to anoddization color, but in your opinion, which car is better then an other one ?
My LHS has part suport for each chassis so it comes down to the chassis ....
As an example : on the TCX, the motor has been moved 4.5 mm inward, on the 417 its only 2 mm, both of them compared to there previous chassi ...
Anyway, could i get your opinion please
As my birthday is coming soon, i thought of getting a new chassis, currently running a HB cyclone
Thanks
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Most people say Xray has the best finishing touch . It's expensive , but it's a little stronger than others . Plus , it's built in Slovakia , in the EU , by engineers and not by some low-wage children workers ... However , your first criteria should be parts availability . Buy the one which is most popular with racers in your area , so you can echange parts .

So you know my advice

P.S. why not consider other top class cars , such as Associated TC6 , Yokomo or Schumacher ?

Last edited by UrabusDenis; 01-10-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: mistake
UrabusDenis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrabusDenis View Post
Most people say Xray has the best finishing touch . It's expensive , but it's a little stronger than others . Plus , it's built in Slovakia , in the EU , by engineers and not by some low-wage children workers ... However , your first criteria should be parts availability . Buy the one which is most popular with racers in your area , so you can echange parts .

So you know my advice

P.S. why not consider other top class cars , such as Associated TC6 , Yokomo or Schumacher ?
Haha ok
Ive heard it often that people say xray has the best finishing blabla ... But what is the " touch " ? lol
I have considered other chassis but my LHS doesn't have much part support, I dont really mind, but also, i haven't seen these chassis on podiums at important meetings ... I dont know lol .... Just trying to gather as much as information as possible
cyclone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone speed View Post
Haha ok
Ive heard it often that people say xray has the best finishing blabla ... But what is the " touch " ? lol
I have considered other chassis but my LHS doesn't have much part support, I dont really mind, but also, i haven't seen these chassis on podiums at important meetings ... I dont know lol .... Just trying to gather as much as information as possible
Will those pros on the podium be out at your local track helping you with set up's???? How can a shop get Xray and Tamiya but not AE parts? What are your best track buddies running? That's the car you know you would always have help with at the track.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

At world level , Yokomo with Ronald Volker is currently the car to beat

Hard to explain the finishing touch ... others will do a better job at explaining
UrabusDenis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Tech Master

I can also vouch that Tamiya trf kits are also not made in sweatshops (or their other kits as far as I am aware). I don't really know about HB but it's all a bit mute as we are just western consumers.

It's really down to preference. They are all great. I went for a 417 as tamiyas have always been my first choice build quality is always exceptional, they manage to win championships so I would say they are plenty good enough for me.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
Tech Adept

just pick up by color

purple, orange, or light blue ,,

anyway ,,, as far as I know Xray is the most durable and strongest ,
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Tech Elite

They're both great cars, so just go with the one you see most at the track. Then you'll get help from people who have the same car as you. Maybe even some freebies.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

In the US, T3, TC6 or TOP. In other countries, whatever you can get parts for without having to buy stuff from Kuala Lampur.

Don't worry about the podium at big events, those are hired guns that run for the company willing to pay them the most.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What's your favorite color? If it's blue then go for the Tamiya 417.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Even if you hate orange it will grow on ya!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:07 AM   #12
Tech Addict

The choice is between TCX and 417, T3 a lot of money for many plastics.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Number 1 : Tamiya is just sublime. No other car handles like this. The car is beautifully balanced and developed by the fastest team on earth. If they don't know what they are doing then who does. Alien fast drivers do not crash much though. If you crash you better have deep pockets, its not uncommon to break 3 or 4 parts in one accident. Stay away if you're not a smooth driver.

Xray doesn't feel as good handling but for sure it is fast. The new car is really fast. At the track every single driver I have seen get one goes faster and more consistent, simple as that. Ignore anyone who goes on about it being expensive etc. its rubbish. You will spend less on this car than any of the others it hardly ever breaks. Plastics are the highest quality and so is all the metalwork. The drivetrain will last 3x longer so long as you maintain it. The company rightly commands a lot of respect for their products.

Personally I run a TRF but I think overall the Xray is easily the best car and by a mile.
Its really fast - and most drivers go fast easily with it
Its really strong
Other cars do not compare in quality (including my beloved TRF )
Will cost you less in the long run
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:05 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
Xray doesn't feel as good handling but for sure it is fast. The new car is really fast. At the track every single driver I have seen get one goes faster and more consistent, simple as that. Ignore anyone who goes on about it being expensive etc. its rubbish. You will spend less on this car than any of the others it hardly ever breaks. Plastics are the highest quality and so is all the metalwork. The drivetrain will last 3x longer so long as you maintain it. The company rightly commands a lot of respect for their products.
Perhaps Xray will also be strong, (my was not ...) but you certainly do not save money because Xray patterns change too quickly, making obsolete the model purchased a few months before.
I'm not even agree on the quality of plastic, ones of series have very little graphite inside.

Last edited by AGNO; 01-11-2011 at 02:52 AM.
AGNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Some people will say that certain cars will suit certain people.

Or, you could just say that they have not found a car set up to their liking when they have tried other brands/cars...

Just because Mr X drives car X and it is set up in XYZ fashion, it doesnt meen it will suit everyone.

You are going to get very varied answers, some of which may not even help you.

Sometimes a car grows on you, sometimes it always seems to work against you

Other times it will fall into your hands as if it was made for you

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote