R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Newb Upgrading, need advice

So I haven't messed with my car for about 10 years now, and I am trying to get started again. I have an RS4 Pro, and I know most everything on it is outdated. Should I start over with the electronics or are the following half way decent: Team Trinity D5 motor and Super Rooster speed control. Plus I need a new battery; anty suggestions?

Thanks
ESwanny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Most likely it will take you a bit to get back into the hang of things and become comfortable again. While doing that there really isnt a need to upgrade. Once you get into the grove and want to start racing competitively you'll want to look into a new setup. Chassis,motors,esc,and battery tech have come a long way in 10 years.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

I agree. Your current equipment will be more than enough to get you started again until you feel like you can handle your RS4. You will need to buy new batteries most likely and NiMH stick packs are still available at around $35 or less.

Once you feel like you've reached the full potential of your current chassis or electronics then an upgrade would be your next step.

6 years ago I was racing and the hot setup at the time was Novak TC Cyclone esc with matched 3300mah NiMH batteries and Epic 27t brushed motors. Now the hot setup is Tekin RS/RS Pro, Castle Creations Mamba Max combos and 40c/50c 5000mah lipos with 17.5t or less brushless motors.

Equipment back then wasn't a small fortune, could pick up a good competitive esc for $90-$150 and motors were $35-$50 and batteries at most were $90 (for good hand picked matched 6cell packs). Now you're looking at $200-$275 for a brushless esc and motor combo, $80+ for a spare motor, $80-$130 for a good competitive ROAR approved battery.

Prices have went up because of the advancements of RC technology, definately a new world of RC you are coming back to.

You can find better prices with other equipment I was just using Castle Creations and Tekin as examples, Novak still makes good affordable equipment.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was looking at some of the prices now compared to when I used to fiddle around, and there is a huge difference. R/C technology has come along way in 10+ years!
ESwanny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESwanny11 View Post
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was looking at some of the prices now compared to when I used to fiddle around, and there is a huge difference. R/C technology has come along way in 10+ years!
Hell, even 5 years! I was racing back in 2005 with brushed equipment and when I took a 4 year vacation from the RC world and came back everything I once knew about escs, batteries, motors had all changed! I had to relearn what was the latest and greatest out now compared to back then. I'm glad Novak is still running strong as back in the day they were my favorite speed control company and still are today. If ya need anymore help give the site a shout.