R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default indoor, on-road help setting up

Hi,

I'm new to rc in general. I've raced once so far and did pretty good! The problem was my car kept sliding every where and I feel the suspension could be set up differently.
What tires do you guys (and girls) recommend that I get for racing. I race in a gymnasium in Barrie so floors are slick.
Also, how do I set up my suspension, camber, etc or where do I even start lol.

I run a stock HPI Sprint 2 Sport brushed. As I said before I am new to this and I just need help on setting up my car for on-road.

Thank you
rctori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

SETUP GIUDEread over this its very helpful
Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Xray T3 setup book is a must. Changing droop is one of the most noticeable things you can change on the car.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Xray T3 setup book is a must. Changing droop is one of the most noticeable things you can change on the car.
This is the best advice you could ever get!

Here is the link to the page with the free download on it. Download it, read it, memorize it! This knowledge will put you ahead of 75% of the rest of the racers you know. It's like free money

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...f79c84c7e8b8cd

Or if the link doesn't work, type in "xray setup book" in the web browser and click on the 1st result link. The download is the 2nd one down, not hard to miss.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

WOW!!! I'm gonna memorize all of it!!

Thank you very much!

Tori
rctori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Is the XXX main book the same as the xray setup book? You need to get all the tools, camber gauges, droop blocks and all that. Setup is everything.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Is the XXX main book the same as the xray setup book?
Yes, and no. The Xray/Hudy book has some theory and instructions on how to use the tools of the set up station. The XXX Main book is a step by step by step book on set up AND testing AND troubleshooting each and every item in tuning the car's suspension. The Xray/Hudy book has some troubleshooting, but not very clear, and the XXX Main book is very light on theory (but more than enough for understanding).

Use the Xray/Hudy book at home for set up, and use the XXX Main book at the track for troubleshooting and fine tuning.

I'd say they go hand in hand and compliment each other very well, but neither is 'enough' by itself for a new or just moving into intermediate level driver/mechanic. Both are a must have, especially since the Xray/Hudy is a free download.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We run on a indoor painted surface here and it is very slippery. We run shumacher mini pin tyres for 1/10th touring cars. You wont really find them in australia you will have to buy them online.

http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/catego...d_Inserts.html

That is the link to get you to those tyres we use but they say they are out of stock. So for them to be out of stock means the indoor racing seen over in the uk is going off cause they use them over there to run on all polished floors and painted surfaces.
Run as much droop as your car can and about 1 degree of toe in on the front and if you can adjust the toe in on the rear make it about 2 to 3 degrees of toe in aswell.
Run about 1 to 1and a half degrees of camber and 0 degrees of caster.
Spring wise you need soft setup with them but still always put one stage of spring rate harder on the front compared to the back.
That should give you some ball park idea and then work from there.
Every car and driver is different but that will be a good start for you.

Let me know if you need more of a hand as I race on this sort of surface every week.
Fordy
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

Painted and polished racing surfaces?? Huh, sounds like a huge challenge!! Makes me want to give it a shot, sorta.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Tech Rookie

Default need help, please answer

hi I just got a traxxas stampede for christmas and it was running just fine the first 10+ times and now it doesn't even move. The only thing that it can do is turn, but not forward or backward. I'm wondering if it's the transmitter or the motor, any advice.
drewrad8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioStylz View Post
Painted and polished racing surfaces?? Huh, sounds like a huge challenge!! Makes me want to give it a shot, sorta.
Mate huge challenge it is but fun in the same. Its controlled racing and drifting all in one. great fun and teaching you really how to control a rc car in high speed racing conditions on a surface that the car is fighting with to go forward.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I seem to recall someone saying that Tamiya rally block tyres were quite good on a polished surface.
They look like a copy of real road tyres.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I seem to recall someone saying that Tamiya rally block tyres were quite good on a polished surface.
They look like a copy of real road tyres.

Skiddins
Yeah mate we used them for awhile but mini pins have proved to work the best on our surface but your right they have worked before for different tracks
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctori View Post
Hi,

I'm new to rc in general. I've raced once so far and did pretty good! The problem was my car kept sliding every where and I feel the suspension could be set up differently.
What tires do you guys (and girls) recommend that I get for racing. I race in a gymnasium in Barrie so floors are slick.
Also, how do I set up my suspension, camber, etc or where do I even start lol.

I run a stock HPI Sprint 2 Sport brushed. As I said before I am new to this and I just need help on setting up my car for on-road.

Thank you
LOL I run there too have the HPI Cup Racer with the Green Datsun body. I would have to agree the TS setup book is a good guide. Last week was my first time out with that car and your right she is real slick. Unfortunately a lot of my spare parts are on order right now so tuning could only be done by adjusting what I had.

I allowed for more droop and adjusted a degree of negative camber in the rear and both helped a lot. Still not perfect but should be able to dial in the car a little more with some softer springs that are arriving this week.

If you had a look around at the racers that were around there last week the ones that were hooking up are running the Schumacer mini pins and the Tamiya Rallye tires. Remember tires are only half the battle.

Hopefully see you this week!
Axial AX10 x 2
All Controlled By Futaba 3PM-X. All Powered By Castle Creations.
rbjeepthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjeepthing View Post
LOL I run there too have the HPI Cup Racer with the Green Datsun body. I would have to agree the TS setup book is a good guide. Last week was my first time out with that car and your right she is real slick. Unfortunately a lot of my spare parts are on order right now so tuning could only be done by adjusting what I had.

I allowed for more droop and adjusted a degree of negative camber in the rear and both helped a lot. Still not perfect but should be able to dial in the car a little more with some softer springs that are arriving this week.

If you had a look around at the racers that were around there last week the ones that were hooking up are running the and the Tamiya Rallye tires. Remember tires are only half the battle.

Hopefully see you this week!
Amen