Wiki Posts
Search

running Li-po and or brushless

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? running Li-po and or brushless

Hey guys,
I am just starting to get myself into racing a 1/10. I use to race the mugen truggies and ofna buggys which was great fun.now iv just got a racing chassis and put the bits off my old drifter on it so i can get it running.
running gear at the mo:
-Tamiya TZ motor
-TP-M8 esc
-3300 ni-mh battery
-dx2.0

Now what i have absolute no idea about is running a li-po. will the esc i have current be able to handle the li-po??
i know i need a li-po charger and balancer.
now with the li-po what voltage do i get and will it be ok to run on a brushed system?

and the other thing is that tonight iv been looking at chucking in a brushless system in. over here in nz there are a massive range on trademe . co . nz and not sure what will suit it. theres some cheap bits and get what you pay for thing.

can you guys help me to shed some light
Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Adept

well after going to see a hobbie shop today and with the costs of a brushless system im not going to go ahead with running it. Im going to stick with a decent brushed system running a lipo battery. well the guy i was talking to really didnt know much about lipo's. would a lrp ai pro esc be able to handle the lipo?the guy i spoke to said the esc needed something built into it to cut it off or something when the voltage gets low so it doesnt destroy the lipo? is that what you call a BEC?
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A BEC is a battery eliminator circuit. Its an old feature on speed controllers so that they will power the receiver and servo thus eliminating the need for a separate receiver pack. It has nothing to do with the lipo cut off.

If you have a lipo battery and charger the only other thing you need is to be careful. A lipo battery is nice and safe unless it is handled improperly and then it is a fire hazzard. If you run it down too far then it will do something called "puffing" you can tell if your lipo is puffed because it will swell up like its allergic. If it swells up its already ruined and likely to burn your house down. If it gets punctured it will burst into flames.

Ok a safe lipo charger will keep your battery from over charging and exploding, but you can also discharge the battery too far. Good brushless speed controllers usually have a lipo cutoff that will keep this from happening. If you dont have one just make sure that you dont run your RC model for too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0tE_...eature=related
Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=snoopyrc;8456136]A BEC is a battery eliminator circuit. Its an old feature on speed controllers so that they will power the receiver and servo thus eliminating the need for a separate receiver pack. It has nothing to do with the lipo cut off.

If you have a lipo battery and charger the only other thing you need is to be careful. A lipo battery is nice and safe unless it is handled improperly and then it is a fire hazzard. If you run it down too far then it will do something called "puffing" you can tell if your lipo is puffed because it will swell up like its allergic. If it swells up its already ruined and likely to burn your house down. If it gets punctured it will burst into flames.

Ok a safe lipo charger will keep your battery from over charging and exploding, but you can also discharge the battery too far. Good brushless speed controllers usually have a lipo cutoff that will keep this from happening. If you dont have one just make sure that you dont run your RC model for too long.

thank you for that because im just beginning out racing, and will probily put drift wheels on it to play around with mates iswell. iv been looking at LRP8063 ESC IPC SR Digital, LRP ESC: F1 Reverse Digital, LRP ESC: F1 Reverse Digital and the LRP A1 Pro automatic speed control there all around the $80-$150 mark.i guess its safer for me to run ni-mh with what sort of esc would you reccomend?

iv also just brought a turnigy accucel-6 charger.

Thank you for your help