R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #496
Tech Adept

I am curious - what does putting a tire on a dremel prove? - I know you said someone asked, but I missed that part.

This is an extremely popular thread. I never knew this message board was here until today.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #497
ajg

Just read a test on the venom speed meter, and it was off by 2 mph, and radar gun are off by 1 mph. Not much difference.

Also, There isn't any other cell small enough that can take the amperage of the mod motor that is nimh. I use nimh batteries on my other cars though.

The dremel thing. Look for the guy who told me to do it and ask him. I just did it to make him feel good.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #498
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero
Default AJG, MORE QUESTIONS.......

What type of servo are you using? standard size? What type of ESC you have and how big is it?

I got an idea, but it is going to cost you........................

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #499
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I still don't think it can be done simply because the tires and bearing cannot handle the rotational speeds required to run that fast.

I'm going to do some research on magnetic pickups and see what RPM range they are accurate in.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #500
Tech Adept

GundamWZero - Yeah, it might be useless but it sure is fun trying. hehehe

I love making the cars go fast myself.

I do believe a micro can hit those speeds but I am having trouble controlling mine at 35 right now. I have better batteries to put on. But I need to learn how to better to control this tiny little car. At 35, if I hit a pebble I lose complete control of the car.

I do plan on CNC'ing a chassis that can carry 16 2/3 size sub-c cells and running it like that. I bought a bunch of GP1100's 2/3 size sub-c cells which are rated for 20-30amps. I will be putting those on my chassis when I learn how to better drive this thing.

A 1/10 scale is easier to control. But even still once get in the 50 - 60 range it takes a lot of skill to keep it straight.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #501
ajg

Quote:
Originally posted by GundamWZero
AJG......

You need to chuck the Nicads for NiMhs. NiMhs carry more amps than the NiCads per cell.

You are running 8 cells, okay, may not be enough for a brushless in your current equipment, but if you Get NiMhs, a brushless may work.

I need to know the actual size of the cells, can you fit more on to the chassis?

If the Air Force can show the world thay they can get a brick to fly (F4 Phantom) I believe with the right parts and equipment (and lots of money), a micro can reach 80. But after that, it'll be useless.
I don't have any more room on the chassis, unless I put cells on top of each other. As for money, I've spent around $1100 on this micro.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:09 PM   #502
ajg

Default Re: AJG, MORE QUESTIONS.......

Quote:
What type of servo are you using? standard size? What type of ESC you have and how big is it?

I got an idea, but it is going to cost you........................
I'm using a Hitec HS-81mg servo(micro size) and a GM V12 esc. Esc size: 32mmX22mmX14mm

Last edited by ajg; 08-17-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:14 PM   #503
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero
Default AND MORE......

Did you think about using rechargeable AA NiMh batteries as you power source for the car? I am using 2300 mah NiMh batteries for my reciever in my gas heli. Betch you can get an lot more of AAs to fit in your chassis that the sub-c ones.

Is that fesible, guys? Can you draw the same or amount or more power if you use 10 t0 12 AA NiMh at 2300 mah than the standard sub-c nicads?

Old 08-17-2004, 05:15 PM   #504
ajg

I've thougt of using AA, but I don't think they can handle the motor.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #505
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ajg
Just read a test on the venom speed meter, and it was off by 2 mph, and radar gun are off by 1 mph. Not much difference.

Where did you get the radar gun from, AJG?

where is the suit........................?

Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #506
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I believe thats where internal impedence of the cell comes in. That the ability of amperage to flow out of the cell. The lower the number the better. I don't know the IR of AA cells. Maybe one of the battery guys can answer that.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM   #507
ajg

I didn't, I read a test on the vsm: http://www.rc411.com/scopes/100/
Old 08-17-2004, 05:31 PM   #508
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ajg
I didn't, I read a test on the vsm: http://www.rc411.com/scopes/100/
Oh, okay... for a second there you came up with a radar gun. But that was tested using a 1/10 car with normal electronics. So for future reference, remove the speed meter and find Officer Friendly!

let me put the suit back in the closet.......

You didn't try the AA cell cause you thought that the motro will gobble it up, right? Well, I am looking at the NiMH rather than the standard NiCad cells. Also to need to shave weight by replacing the standard servo for a durable, micro servo. If you are trying to do this on a straightaway, you don't need much steering at all. Maybe changing the batteries to AA MiMH from Sub-Cs will help you lose some weight, i don't know, but it might help. Judging from the type of Sub Cs you have now, The AA NimH may help out in power, I guess.

Old 08-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #509
Tech Adept

AA's do not put out enough AMP's.

I am running the equivilent (cant spell) of AA rechargables on mine. They are the kind used for building battery packs. On my Mamba Motor which is brushless - they cause a lot of cogging. More or less the batteries suck.

The sub-c's are deisgned to put out more power volt/amps per cell than the AA's.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:39 PM   #510
ajg

Quote:
Oh, okay... for a second there you came up with a radar gun. But that was tested using a 1/10 car with normal electronics. So for future reference, remove the speed meter and find Officer Friendly!

let me put the suit back in the closet.......

You didn't try the AA cell cause you thought that the motro will gobble it up, right? Well, I am looking at the NiMH rather than the standard NiCad cells. Also to need to shave weight by replacing the standard servo for a durable, micro servo. If you are trying to do this on a straightaway, you don't need much steering at all. Maybe changing the batteries to AA MiMH from Sub-Cs will help you lose some weight, i don't know, but it might help. Judging from the type of Sub Cs you have now, The AA NimH may help out in power, I guess.
I'm using a Hitec HS-81mg servo. (it's a micro servo)

Also, I just sent an e-mail to rccaraction about testing my car for all of you guys. So you wouldn't be hearing the results from me. If they deside to test it.
Closed Thread