R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #106
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead View Post
i love these batteries have two 5000mah 40c 2 cell and run them in my sct i have to go out early and run off the peak in these things they rip and for the price your getting ripped off if you pay more for a battery than what these guys charge it's silly to pay more i've been running them since july and have had no problems out of them on race day i just charge them no balance and when i get home i balance charge them they are strong as nails keep up the good work gens ace can't wait for the new ones to come out

My 5000mah 40c just quit on me last weekend in the middle of a race. I tryed it in other rc cars and still nothing. My charger does not recognise it. I have only 10 charges on it. Any ideas?? Will they give me a replacement???
Thanks!
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #107
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
My 5000mah 40c just quit on me last weekend in the middle of a race. I tryed it in other rc cars and still nothing. My charger does not recognise it. I have only 10 charges on it. Any ideas?? Will they give me a replacement???
Thanks!
Have you checked the battery, and individual cell voltage with a multimeter? If the pack voltage drops below 6v, or 3v for either cell, then the battery is toast. If one cell is close to 0 then that cell is dead. Pretty much throw the pack away (Although in that case I believe you can salvage the single cell if you want to)

Also, its possible the pack is so close to cut off it wont work in the cars, and i have seen balance plugs that need a little giggle to read the pack, one of my batts (not a gens ace) did it to me once and I nearly had a heart attack when the charger came up with the error.

Last edited by wollow86; 09-07-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Had another thought
wollow86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #108
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks!
They are good, but not invincible. I've had 2 of 3 (2S 40C packs) go bad on me. 1 of them was puffed right out of the box. Never even got a chance to charge it. It was puffed so bad the case came completely apart. HobbyPartz did replace it for no charge though.
Associated FT T4.2
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #109
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks!
i would assume it has a melted solder joint. use a volt meter and test current between + and balance port and - and balance port see what voltage you get. thats how i figured my lipo that has no connectivity
littlealex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

When a pack or a cell in a pack drops too low; it doesn't mean the pack is done. I have recovered some for people I race with. Put your charger on NIMH setting, set the charge rate as low as possible (.5 AMP is what I used), start charge; WATCH CLOSELY. If batt starts to heat, cancel charge. If it charges without any unusual heat, smoke, or sounds; continue to charge. When pack has a little charge above the 6 volt or 3 volt per cell level, stop charge. Now switch pack to regular LIPO charging and start it; WATCH CLOSELY. If everything is going OK, I would still watch until charge is completed. I have recovered batts that were left plugged in overnight, run too long, and one that was left in storage for a long period of time.

This doesn't always work but it is worth a try. I do have six Gens Ace 2 cells and have not had any problems with them. 2 are over a year old, 2 are six months, and 2 are new.
nutz4rcyktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've got a new 40c/5000 w/ bullets, and one of the cells is about .03-.05 low (it's closer at lower voltage). When I fully charged the battery, the low cell didn't seem to want to come up about 4.15. Any suggestions? I could break out some alligator clip leads and try charging the low cell as 1s through the balance port.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:11 AM   #112
Suspended

The Gens Ace 5000 40C 4S ROAR pack is on sale now due to popular demand on our Facebook page!
hobbypartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #113
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4rcyktw View Post
When a pack or a cell in a pack drops too low; it doesn't mean the pack is done. I have recovered some for people I race with. Put your charger on NIMH setting, set the charge rate as low as possible (.5 AMP is what I used), start charge; WATCH CLOSELY. If batt starts to heat, cancel charge. If it charges without any unusual heat, smoke, or sounds; continue to charge. When pack has a little charge above the 6 volt or 3 volt per cell level, stop charge. Now switch pack to regular LIPO charging and start it; WATCH CLOSELY. If everything is going OK, I would still watch until charge is completed. I have recovered batts that were left plugged in overnight, run too long, and one that was left in storage for a long period of time.

This doesn't always work but it is worth a try. I do have six Gens Ace 2 cells and have not had any problems with them. 2 are over a year old, 2 are six months, and 2 are new.
I can better that.... I have seen a battery left plugged in with a hard wired fan for about 2 weeks... Very very low voltage but we did excatly what you said and just charged it up at 0.1amps to bring it back to life. Pack works fine but is noticeably softer than its partner which was brought at the same time.