R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #121
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

I got my 3racing lathe. (V-Block style lathe).

Came to a total of $130 CDN incl. all the shipping and stuff.

Comes with a carbide bit, belt, everything u need basically except a slave motor.
Need 3mm hex wrench and some imagination to setup because it comes with no instructions.

But once I got all the bugs out and practiced on a few old armatures, everything turned out great. For something about $100 USD,.... it does 95% a job as a Hudy lathe.

Only real problem w/ my lathe is that the on-off switch didn't work. But I just used a switch of my own instead. There is no noticable coning or anything when cutting, everything's nice and even. (at least when measured with my non-electronic caliper down to 0.005cm).

Neways, I like my lathe and it was worth the wait
And the price, is unbeatable.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:31 AM   #122
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
alright guys...

my turn...it seems that buying anything in this hobby is a HUGE pain, especially when it comes to necessary items. I've read through this thread twice and still haven't come to a solid decision. Even though I've only been in this hobby for 7 months, I want to start purchasing LONG-TERM items the 'first-time'.
Any help with this is appreciated
Here's the list I'm choosing from....

FAN62625- Fantom comm lathe
diamond bit & slave motor includ. $364.95

101404- Hudy multipack lathe. HSG
slave motor includ. (no bit!) $234.95

101401- Hudy tech comm lathe. MODIFIED. HSG
slave motor includ. (no bit!) $199.95

C22340- Integy auto super lathe
carbide bit & drive motor includ. $169.95

101001- Hudy advanced comm lathe. MODIFIED. HSG
slave motor includ. (no bit!) $159.99

COB2000WD- Team Cobra pro-comm lathe
diamond bit includ. (needs slave motor) $156.95

X-MODLATHE2- Integy Xipp X-mod lathe
carbide bit included $139.99

hku-1002- 3racing ???? (not so sure about this one)

Well there it is; all I'm trying to do is get the most value for MY MONEY. Sorry the list is sooo long but, well, you know......

- jaybee
Well the 3racing lathe is out of the running, I don't want to have to deal with that crap (rcnewb2004 )
How about some input on these choices guys

- jaybee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:15 PM   #123
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get either the xmod or the integy auto.....I have both and they both work great.....I've used pretty much every lathe on that list....and I'll stick to the integy units.

Later EddieO
Old 08-24-2004, 01:02 PM   #124
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
Get either the xmod or the integy auto.....I have both and they both work great.....I've used pretty much every lathe on that list....and I'll stick to the integy units.

Later EddieO
Yeah I was leaning towards the last 4 on my list, especially the Integy Auto.... but I wasn't sure if the Auto was the best choice for a brand-new/first-time user. I'll keep in touch EddieO, 'cause I wanna try some TeamBr00d stock motors and batts. I was there at the Summer Sizz. and watched Korey and Sean kick some major A$$

- jaybee

Old 08-24-2004, 01:20 PM   #125
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The auto is extremely to use....I don't think you would have any problems with it, not to mention there is a thread online with all the do's and don'ts to use it.

Just let me know when you need motors and batts.....got lots of stuff in stock.

Later EddieO
Old 08-24-2004, 01:35 PM   #126
Tech Champion

will do...

- jaybee

Old 08-24-2004, 04:21 PM   #127
Tech Elite

JayBee - You'll still have to square up the blocks with integy lathes. Also I'd say forget the fantom, once the blocks wear out you'd be looking at a very expencive replacment if you can find one.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 05:44 PM   #128
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
JayBee - You'll still have to square up the blocks with integy lathes. Also I'd say forget the fantom, once the blocks wear out you'd be looking at a very expencive replacment if you can find one.
So in your opinion, which one would you suggest to have for years of no-prob usage...

- jAYbeE

Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 AM   #129
Tech Elite

If I had to buy again I'd pic the integy auto lathe and then after 20 or so cuts upgrade it with a daimond bit. It really is an awsome lathe and is very simple to use. For less then the price of a hudy tech you can't go wrong. Plus it's just so dam trick! Pic the one you like best, you really can't choose a wrong lathe, they all work well and will all last a long time.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:57 AM   #130
Tech Regular

It seems like the Integy auto lathe is the way to go!!!
Does any of you guys have a problem with the size of it and its case? How heavy? The case looks so big to me (from Integy web site).
AlanLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #131
Tech Champion

Thumbs up

Is a Hudy Tech Comm Lathe w/ the diamond bit included for $200 a good deal?

- jAyBeE

Old 08-25-2004, 10:52 PM   #132
Tech Adept

If the diamond bit is in good shape, that's a pretty good deal. Otherwise, the price of a brand new Hudy Tech Comm lathe (w/o the bit) is around $200.00.
DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #133
Tech Master

I will go w/ the integy xipp, everyone in my area uses this lathe and its awesome. I don't really think the "auto" is necessary.

And you are right about the crap part JayB. 3racing is just for those who need a lathe and can't really afford one. I really like the xipp and think it is good. (comes with a nice case and all too)... The auto is even better, but personally, for the price, i dont' think its worth it....
Old 08-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Too late, I already ordered the Integy Auto and their set-up equipment stuff last Thurs., so I should be able to test everything out in a day or two. I wanted that Hudy w/diamond bit but I'm such a skeptic when it comes to picking up used stuff that I haven't had a chance to see. I KNOW I'M AN IDIOT Like I said before, I wanna stop buying important items twice. Now since the lathe and set-up equipment (I will make an exception to my rule when the new HUDY set-up equipment becomes available...maybe ) is taken care of, the next big item is a charger; I already have an INDI 16x3v6 but a big one needs to join the stable. I just haven't made up my mind on whether I want the Pro-Trak 30, GFX Turbo 35, or the INDI 16x9v6. What do you guys think?

- JAYBEE

Old 08-30-2004, 06:26 PM   #135
Tech Master

I feel the competition is between the GFX and Futaba's new charger... (don't remember the model name, but its got ALL THE SH*T).

I have an integy 15x5v6 and its great. There is a thread about it here, and I think there is quite a few satisfied customers.

But if you want top of the line, i think the competition is between the GFX and Futaba... but hey... i am a newb, and I don't own any of these, but from the bells and whistles that I have seen on these chargers,... they are both great.

I can't really tell the difference at my level of racing.

About the integy setup stuff, u got a model number or a website u can throw me? i am looking for a setup kit that's not HUDY.
(its just far too expensive, and I have been hearing stories that its not consistent and stuff.)

ANd do leave me a PM, I am interested in knowing about how the integy setup kit is. I am itching to buy one.. but really need some feedback on it first. Thanks JayB