R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Two motors in one car?

I'm starting plans for a high speed car. I was thinking about running two motors in an 1/8th scale car, one on each side of the spur gear(shaft drive car). The motors would run in opposite directions and each have their own speedos and battery setups.

Anyone see any potential problems?
reracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AudioStylz

I could see 1 problem being that every motor built has their own power band. Something along the lines of 1 motor could be slightly more powerful over the other identical motor. IF you do this, get in contact with Murfdogg on this forum. He can probably match up a pair of motors that are very close to each other in all aspects of each motor.

The other possible problem is battery voltage being different from each other which to me would cause one esc/motor combo to have more power over the other combo, just thinking out loud on that one as I'm not really sure if say 1 2s 40c 5000mah battery charged to 8.42v while the 2nd battery only charged to 8.37v. I'm not sure if that would cause a problem but just logically thinking, it might.

Keep in mind, this is late night logic talking.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reracer View Post
I'm starting plans for a high speed car. I was thinking about running two motors in an 1/8th scale car, one on each side of the spur gear(shaft drive car). The motors would run in opposite directions and each have their own speedos and battery setups.

Anyone see any potential problems?
If you have a shaft mounted spur gear, and run two motors that are on the same motor plate, then mate them up to the same spur gear, while running the motors in opposite directions..... You will have the slowest car ever as it billows smoke. The motors need to go in the same direction, otherwise they would both be pushing against eachother, and result in the car not moving while you quickly smoke all of the electronics in the car.

Also, a dual motor setup is not ideal. Run a single motor/esc setup, with lots of cells to get big power.

Id recommend a Castle 125 amp ESC.... and a NEU motor.

A good buddy of mine, Nic Case has the motor driven land speed record for RC Cars, and used a similar setup in his early speed run cars. Not sure what he is using now.

Matt
Luxury Dirt Oval Racing Chassis and Performance Accessories
The MurfDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

http://fastestrc.blogspot.com/search/label/nic%20case
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MurfDogg View Post
If you have a shaft mounted spur gear, and run two motors that are on the same motor plate, then mate them up to the same spur gear, while running the motors in opposite directions..... You will have the slowest car ever as it billows smoke. The motors need to go in the same direction, otherwise they would both be pushing against eachother, and result in the car not moving while you quickly smoke all of the electronics in the car.
If the motors are on the same side of the motor plate and spinning in opposite directions you'll more than likely strip your spur gear (assuming its plastic) before frying your ESC. However, if the motors are on opposite sides of the motor plate then they need to rotate in opposite directions. I know it's not shaft driven but for example Traxxas E-Revo and E-Maxx (both brushed)
Attached Thumbnails
Two motors in one car?-5603_5605_power_system.jpg   Two motors in one car?-3903-top-chassis.jpg  
CCMMP5700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Motors running left/right of the spur, obviously won't rotate in opposite direction.
i think it would work, without even worrying much about matching motors. I would get the same motor/esc/battery for each powertrain but the minor differences between them won't have any impact.
Even if one motor is slightly more powerful than the other, the fact remains that their net power is doubled. the slower motor might cause a drag to the faster one at the upper range of revs but you get immense benefits in the mid range where they both output their peak power.

Last edited by omegaf; 01-30-2011 at 10:27 PM.
omegaf is offline   Reply With Quote