Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just got one of these motors to replace my revtech as it blew in practice. but now going to run this motor in a 17.5 boosted class. currently in an old mi2 ya I know it's ancient but still competitive for its age. I have it geared 30/81 respectively on an Lrp stock spec and boost #2 on Esc setting and everything else at 0. my final drive is at 4.86. wondering if this fdr is ok. I ran it outside my house but it was at night and motor was 87 degrees f after about 4-5 mins of hard running with lots of stop and go while doing big turns. the car was fast! but wanna make sure I'm at a good range for my fdr for the next parking lot race here in San Diego

thanks,
D
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

anyone have a good setup for 17.5 boosted with a stock spec Lrp?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
Got to run my new 10.5T motor tonight, left at 20 timing, I ended up with a 4.8 FDR, or 41.888mm roll out.

Super cold night so I was wary of pushing it being so new, running around 65C, although then in the second final I pushed the timing to 25 and it came off at 60C, I suspect that means I'm getting close to the sweet spot?, at this point I'm unsure if to try more gear, or crank more timing?.

What is a little odd, to me anyway, if I did not match my best times with the Hobbywing motor, the ZR3 felt like it had more bottom to mid, but it's not translating to faster overall yet.
How have you set your ESC up, are you using a lot of timing?

I have had my Thunder Power 13.5 up as high 33-34 deg in boosted but it usually doesn't end well

I limit the motor to an max absolute max of 30deg timing, but I do bring the ESC timing down to try and keep things the same overall.
I have found that as you up the motor timing it doesn come alive more, but you do have to be carefull.

Are you running 1/12 or TC's

Skiddins
Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by derbrylac
4.86 seems really High for a final drive ratio. Here in Denmark we run 6-7 in final drive ratio. I blew mine 17.5 boosted with mode 6 on a LRP Stock spec agter about 6 min Racing :-(
You Could try Some of the modes with a slow ramp (mode 1-3-5-7-9-11) and se How hot it gets.

Remember to tjek temp every 1.5 to 2 min and stop of the motor hits 80 degrees celcius.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by derbrylac
My mate runs either 4 and 7 ( on the main two modes) or 4 and 9.

This is with a 13.5
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for the tip guys, I will go with the 5.5-6/7 FDR and test from there
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
How have you set your ESC up, are you using a lot of timing?

I have had my Thunder Power 13.5 up as high 33-34 deg in boosted but it usually doesn't end well

I limit the motor to an max absolute max of 30deg timing, but I do bring the ESC timing down to try and keep things the same overall.
I have found that as you up the motor timing it doesn come alive more, but you do have to be carefull.

Are you running 1/12 or TC's

Skiddins
Sorry, forgot to mention, it's zero esc timing, or blinky etc, I was running as low as 4.1 FDR on the old Hobbywing motor, but it has no timing adjustment on the can, HW never quite had the top end.
I'm seeing some signs of improvement with the TP, it seems to pull a little harder, though I'm not sure it's topping out as high yet.

Edit: Oh and it's just a touring car.

Last edited by Bishop; 07-10-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just put A 17.5 with the stock rotor in my trf416x, What's a good starting point to put the timing and gearing on a medium size track? Right now I'm running a hobby wing speedo in blinky and I put the gearing at 3.77 but I haven't made it out to the track to test it yet.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djamiller
I just put A 17.5 with the stock rotor in my trf416x, What's a good starting point to put the timing and gearing on a medium size track? Right now I'm running a hobby wing speedo in blinky and I put the gearing at 3.77 but I haven't made it out to the track to test it yet.
With that low of gearing I would suggest using the green high torque rotor. With the stock rotor you will have great top end but probably be a little short on the torque in the infield. Our track is a medium sized track and I use the blue or green rotor geared about a 3.8- 3.9 or so. Gives me great rip on the infield and good top end for the straights. I usually run the timing about 30-35 and the temps are usually about 150.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Tech Rookie

using 25.1 in USGT with NiMh batteries and it des very well againtst LiPos ... now if my Chassis was better ...
Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by plummers
hi, im thinking of running a thunder power motor. my question is, are the ok with gm 90 2010 speedos running in blinky. i usually run gm motors, what kinda gearing is a good starting figure. the track is indoor 30 metre straight at newbury(skiddens knows it)..thank you in advance. plummers
How did it go in the end with 30deg on the motor? What were the temps like?

Skiddins
Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Odd night last night with my 10.5 TP, I tried upping to 30 on timing, gave it some punch, but traction was low so many ended up with too much wheel spin, can't quite figure if it gave me any more top end, I upped a tooth on the pinion and it got a touch hot (77C I think), so backed off timing down to 25 again, not real sure if I should try for more timing and less gear or less timing and more gear, so far I still feel it's not coming up to what I was expecting from it.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Odd night last night with my 10.5 TP, I tried upping to 30 on timing, gave it some punch, but traction was low so many ended up with too much wheel spin, can't quite figure if it gave me any more top end, I upped a tooth on the pinion and it got a touch hot (77C I think), so backed off timing down to 25 again, not real sure if I should try for more timing and less gear or less timing and more gear, so far I still feel it's not coming up to what I was expecting from it.
What gearing were you running?
I think the TP's like lower gear ratio's than a lot of other motors.
It might be worth trying lower timing, around 20 and gearing up and then do the opposite.

I run 30deg timing on my 13.5, and that's in boosted!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you are safe upto 87c
Old 07-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
What gearing were you running?
I think the TP's like lower gear ratio's than a lot of other motors.
It might be worth trying lower timing, around 20 and gearing up and then do the opposite.

I run 30deg timing on my 13.5, and that's in boosted!
30/72 which would be like 4.8fdr, though it's foam so I'm keeping track of rollout at around 42mm.

5 degree worth of timing is looking like being around a tooth on the pinion (in terms of heat being produced), which I find helpful in a tuning sort of way.

Next meet I may try and wind down to 10 and gear up three on the pinion, then try the other way and maybe try like 35-40 dropping way down on the pinion size, see which gives me a quicker lap.

Originally Posted by Craig W
you are safe upto 87c
Good to know thanks, I get timid about temps at times, I cooked a speed passion back when we went zero timing, told it was good to run 80C+, then while gearing around that, it decided to shoot to 140C by the end of a heat and melt, had a mental block ever since when I see a high 70C figure.

I probably should slap my ceramic bearings in it now I think of it, I bought two sets for my older HW motor, bearings sizes are the same, the HW bearings were shit, no idea what TP bearings are like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.