Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors >

Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors

Like Tree1Likes

Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors

Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 AM
  #376  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 83
Default

What is the Kv rating of a 13.5 Z3R?
RSCosworth is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
  #377  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 647
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Have you tried a different pinion? Most of the noises that come from my transmission seem to be related to the type of pinion.
I'm pretty sure the noise comes from the motor internal. I've switched between sonic and thunder power and reedy is completely quiet. It's a belt drive tc by the way.
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
  #378  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
I'm pretty sure the noise comes from the motor internal. I've switched between sonic and thunder power and reedy is completely quiet. It's a belt drive tc by the way.
Only thing I can think of is to check whether it has the correct amount os shims on the rotor.
Just enough to remove all but the last little bit of slop.
Skiddins is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
  #379  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 647
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Only thing I can think of is to check whether it has the correct amount os shims on the rotor.
Just enough to remove all but the last little bit of slop.
I think the shim is okay, but I'll look into it. Thanks
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM
  #380  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (47)
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,806
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
I think the shim is okay, but I'll look into it. Thanks
I get the same thing in my 12th with the HT rotor in my TP. The sound is definitely internal. For me I noticed it when applying the brakes with the car on the bench and the wheels stopped. It sounds like a cogging issue, but all the sensor lights on the RS work and in forward the car does not stutter or hesitate and is plenty fast. I can even see the motor trying to rotate backwards, even though reverse is disabled in the RS. I have about 38 degrees of timing on the motor and the RS is in blunky, but it looks almost like there is so much timing in the car that the esc can't find the rotor and is trying to move it but is mistimed. Weird!

Last edited by andrewdoherty; 10-10-2012 at 06:43 PM.
andrewdoherty is offline  
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM
  #381  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 647
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
I get the same thing in my 12th with the HT rotor in my TP. The sound is definitely internal. For me I notices it when applying the brakes with the car on the bench and the wheels stopped. It sounds like a cogging issue, but all the lights on the RS work and in forward the car does not stutter or hesitate and is plenty fast. I can even see the motor trying to rotate backwards, even though reverse is disabled in the RS. I have about 38 degrees of timing on the motor and the RS is in blunky, but it looks almost like there is so much timing in the car that the esc can't find the rotor and is trying to move it but is mistimed. Weird!
This is exactly what I'm getting, the timing mark on the motor seems like way underrated than my reedy sonic. timing at 40 degree, the motor is absolutely ballistic when free revving with tire lifted but doesn't seem to give much when the car actually runs on the ground.... And that noise when braking.... Will it damage my esc or is it fine...?
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM
  #382  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Green Machine!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 816
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Hi all.
Using the 13.5 in my WGT pan car. 1S blinkey rules. Fairly small indoor carpet track. 80 is my approx rollout. Using 80t & 38t. Installed green rotor. Motor timing around 45. Temp after 4-5 min is around 160. Still doesn't seem to have quite the "punch" and top speed combination that the rest of the field has. Close though. Any suggestions on changing anything? Am I close to peak performance? Anyone know anything crazy good about that "special" "1S" 13.5 specific motor that MurfDogg has?... Thanks everyone
Green Machine! is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM
  #383  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
Hi all.
Using the 13.5 in my WGT pan car. 1S blinkey rules. Fairly small indoor carpet track. 80 is my approx rollout. Using 80t & 38t. Installed green rotor. Motor timing around 45. Temp after 4-5 min is around 160. Still doesn't seem to have quite the "punch" and top speed combination that the rest of the field has. Close though. Any suggestions on changing anything? Am I close to peak performance? Anyone know anything crazy good about that "special" "1S" 13.5 specific motor that MurfDogg has?... Thanks everyone
Others running 1s have suggested that the green rotor bogs down the high rpm so it won't actually be as fast due to the lower voltage.

Try the red or blue rotor.
Skiddins is offline  
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM
  #384  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (32)
 
j.d.roost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
This is exactly what I'm getting, the timing mark on the motor seems like way underrated than my reedy sonic. timing at 40 degree, the motor is absolutely ballistic when free revving with tire lifted but doesn't seem to give much when the car actually runs on the ground.... And that noise when braking.... Will it damage my esc or is it fine...?
For those running a rs/1s if you have not...try running a rx pack.
I had similar issues (felt like it was cogging) when using a booster +tekin rs/pro and the pack immediately fixed the problem.
j.d.roost is offline  
Old 10-25-2012, 05:38 PM
  #385  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 647
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by j.d.roost View Post
For those running a rs/1s if you have not...try running a rx pack.
I had similar issues (felt like it was cogging) when using a booster +tekin rs/pro and the pack immediately fixed the problem.
Does this also apply to 2 cell?
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 AM
  #386  
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 4,039
Default

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
This is exactly what I'm getting, the timing mark on the motor seems like way underrated than my reedy sonic. timing at 40 degree, the motor is absolutely ballistic when free revving with tire lifted but doesn't seem to give much when the car actually runs on the ground.... And that noise when braking.... Will it damage my esc or is it fine...?
I think you already know the answer... you are over-timed.

Don't trust the markings on the cans, they are not consistent from brand to brand. Make your own call based on performance.

Knock the timing back until you get a smooth and fast car again.
sosidge is offline  
Old 10-30-2012, 10:28 AM
  #387  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 647
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I think you already know the answer... you are over-timed.

Don't trust the markings on the cans, they are not consistent from brand to brand. Make your own call based on performance.

Knock the timing back until you get a smooth and fast car again.
Tried it but didn't work.... even with timing at zero. Rpm went down but the clicking did not go away
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM
  #388  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Green Machine!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 816
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Since it is a "used motor" that you got your hands on, has anyone suggested to change the bearings? If it's not timimg, or the esc, or rotor, or shimming..nothing else touches anything else to make a noise. I too have been experimenting with everything from timimg to rotors to make this thing faster and nothing has made a noise. Worst case was when I used the green rotor and gave it lots of end bell timing. It cogged and stuttered a bit in the corners but no clicking noise.
Green Machine! is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
  #389  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Flagler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wentzylvania
Posts: 1,354
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Can I just drop a 13.5 stator in the can of my 17.5?

I see by searching this thread that it's been done, but some of you have had problems. Trying to keep my costs down and I don't need both motors at once. Would you guys recommend this?
Flagler is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
  #390  
Tech Master
iTrader: (49)
 
Jerz616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 1,045
Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Flagler View Post
Can I just drop a 13.5 stator in the can of my 17.5?

I see by searching this thread that it's been done, but some of you have had problems. Trying to keep my costs down and I don't need both motors at once. Would you guys recommend this?
I believe all the Z3R stock motors use the same can. It's the mod motors that some have had issues with.
Jerz616 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.