Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors >

Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors

Like Tree1Likes

Thunder Power RC Z3R Motors

Old 03-02-2012, 04:24 AM
  #136  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by donwhit View Post
Hi Skiddins,

Tried one pinion lower (16) at Stafford tonight. Ian said it was better on the short straights. Also tried a 15, gutless. Also tried an 18, seemed overgeared on same speedo settings.

Also tried the thin topdeck in the last round, Ian reckoned it gives more 'in corner' steering on a 2012.
Everyone I know who uses a Tekin tends to run 50 timing (max'd out) and around 5-10 turbo when running 13.5's
We used to run 40 on the timing when using 10.5's

Might be worth trying to run more on the ESC and less on the motor and see if the torque increases.

Last edited by Skiddins; 03-02-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Skiddins is offline  
Old 03-02-2012, 07:55 AM
  #137  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by defcone View Post
for the snowbirds /iic setups, how much timing on the can was used?
Sorry... offtopic. Is that Gate's X in your Av?

You follow TA in the US?
JamesL_71 is offline  
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 AM
  #138  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
defcone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,356
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Sorry... offtopic. Is that Gate's X in your Av?

You follow TA in the US?
Technically no, it's a 9. Yes, but only every so often, when nothing else is on.
http://ns223506.ovh.net/rozne/6e437c...er-1721298.jpg

Full size^

Thought I'd make my question clearer, for this setup how much motor timing was used?

17.5 Boosted TC
50 boost
15 turbo
5000 -14000 rpm
.1 delay
10 min throttle
10 min brake
2 ramp

geared around 5.5
Red rotor
defcone is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 AM
  #139  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by donwhit View Post
Hi Skiddins,

Tried one pinion lower (16) at Stafford tonight. Ian said it was better on the short straights. Also tried a 15, gutless. Also tried an 18, seemed overgeared on same speedo settings.

Also tried the thin topdeck in the last round, Ian reckoned it gives more 'in corner' steering on a 2012.
Tried gearing from, 7.60 to 7.98 tonight with motor timing at 30deg
The following is my final (I was car 2, dark blue with pink looking front end using 7.98 FDR)
It was coming off around 61degC with only a small passive heatsink, no fan.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


For once I was as quick as the turbo esc cars down the straight. But my drivng wasn't good enough for the A Final (Newbury only run 8 car finals)
Skiddins is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 AM
  #140  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Craig W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: stoke on trent
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Tried gearing from, 7.60 to 7.98 tonight with motor timing at 30deg
The following is my final (I was car 2, dark blue with pink looking front end using 7.98 FDR)
It was coming off around 61degC with only a small passive heatsink, no fan.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


For once I was as quick as the turbo esc cars down the straight. But my drivng wasn't good enough for the A Final (Newbury only run 8 car finals)
for blinky racing you are going need blue rotor
Craig W is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM
  #141  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
for blinky racing you are going need blue rotor
or green.
Fred Hubbard is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:11 PM
  #142  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
for blinky racing you are going need blue rotor
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
or green.
We don't do blinky racing so not a problem

Changing the rotor would also stop it being legal at our nationals
Skiddins is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
  #143  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Craig W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: stoke on trent
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
We don't do blinky racing so not a problem

Changing the rotor would also stop it being legal at our nationals
red blue and green were sent to Paul at the same time as motor so should be legal but i am waiting for email to confirm this and i have spoke to Andy at rc explorer uk as well and he is a waiting same e mail
Craig W is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 PM
  #144  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by Craig W View Post
red blue and green were sent to Paul at the same time as motor so should be legal but i am waiting for email to confirm this and i have spoke to Andy at rc explorer uk as well and he is a waiting same e mail
Ok, so whats the difference between the rotors?
I believe the standard item is 1300gauss (I did measure it but forgot to write it down
Skiddins is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:01 PM
  #145  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Craig W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: stoke on trent
Posts: 488
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Ok, so whats the difference between the rotors?
I believe the standard item is 1300gauss (I did measure it but forgot to write it down
blue is the torque rotor factory advise to run in blinky classes
Craig W is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM
  #146  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Ok, so whats the difference between the rotors?
I believe the standard item is 1300gauss (I did measure it but forgot to write it down
Blue is a 12.3mm Torque and Green is a 12.5mm High Torque. Running the green yields more bottom end than the blue, runs cooler and you can gear up about 1 tooth from the blue and/or run a bit more timing.
Fred Hubbard is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM
  #147  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (103)
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,393
Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)
Default

Has anyone found the melting point yet on these motors? What temps have you seen and still managed to not roast the motor?
stiltskin is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
  #148  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
L.Fairtrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 3,786
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Has anyone found the melting point yet on these motors? What temps have you seen and still managed to not roast the motor?
With about all motors if you get it to 190-200 it might smoke. I have had mine hotter than that without smoking but I wouldnt try it.

160-170 is what I would consider a safe operating temp. Anything over that might be ok but with all motors anything over that is pushing it.



To whoever asked I would run around 30-35 timing in boosted 17.5 Touring.
L.Fairtrace is offline  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 PM
  #149  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
texastc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Forney Texas
Posts: 1,657
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ThunderPowerRC View Post
F1 settings from Viktor Wilck car at IIC.

21.5 no boost
Blue rotor
38* timing
32-94 Gear
Tire - Ride soft
I am running the stock rotor. What changes in timing should I consider? I have never really messed with timing much before. But this is the Nats, time to man up.
texastc is offline  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
  #150  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Did some more running today at a larger indoor track.
Same venue but not this layout. You get the idea;
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


From my notes;
FDR 7.98 Motor timing 27deg, felt good, temps 50degC
FDR 7.98 Motor timing 30deg, felt good, temps 61degC
FDR 7.98 Motor timing 32deg, felt good, temps 71degC
The more timing, the faster the car felt down the straight but brakes became a bit weaker at high speed. Car felt fast out of corners.
Skiddins is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.