R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Trinity P-94 Mod motors

I have a couple of questions maybe someone can answer. Has anyone been using these motors? I have been trying to find info on these motors, and Team Trinity's web sight is basically useless. I read the write up RCCA did on the 12 turn, but my question is: There are 4 different 12 doubles from what I can see. What difference is the P1 armatures, over the D1 armatures? Also there is a D1 with large wire. Basically the different armatures is what has me confused. Any info would be appreciated.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 12:47 AM   #2
Tech Master

I find it confusing also but you could always ask Mr. Jim Dieter on the forum (His thread is something like ...Jim on the road).

"Layered" is suggested for TC but then you will find it very hot when running at 15-18 degree timing. One thing you could try, use Ready TI can, sure will make big different.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:03 AM   #3
Tech Master

I have a couple of Reedy Ti's. They do work great. I'd just like to try a P-94 just to compair. According to some articles the P-94 12x2 will through out dyno numbers like a regular normal sized brushed 10 mod. And the brushes, and comm do not require as much maintenance to boot. Now thats my kinda mod motor!
Old 04-23-2002, 06:29 AM   #4
dw
Tech Adept

I'm not sure about all the different arm combinations but the d1 armature is an older design with thinner web. This means that you need less wire to complete 12 turns. It produces less torque though. The D1 armature is intended for European racing where there is a 12 turn motor limit. It serves no purpose in the us as you can go down a turn instead if you need more power and you will have a more efficient motor as well.

The trinity motors don't have as good magnets as the ti. Additionally the increased brush wrap is only advantageous on very low turn motors. This is because it increases torque at the expense of rpm. Not what you want with mild motors. It should make the comm arc less but you are forced to use trinity brushes which in my experience arent very good on the comm anyway.

The double brush shunt is a waste of time unless you are running a very hot wind. The reason is that those shunt wires are only rated at 10 amps. As a motor pulls significantly more current than this the current has got to be flowing mainly through the brush hoods and the sides of the brushes. The double shunt also makes the brush more likely to hang.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 11:37 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dw
Additionally the increased brush wrap is only advantageous on very low turn motors. This is because it increases torque at the expense of rpm.
Perhaps I'm mistaken here, but I've always understood that wider brushes would increase RPM and reduce torque... That's why we run laydwn brushes in stock, to get more RPM. The fact that Big Jim Greenemeyer recommends narrowing the brushes on the MVP stocker to gain torque would also support this.

Trips
Old 04-23-2002, 12:49 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Plus, as that particular motors com gets smaller you will want to reduce the width of the brush. Otherwise you will lose performance and the motor will run hot. Not sure what the minimum com width is though.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:20 PM   #7
dw
Tech Adept

Trips- yes you're right I got my thinking back to fornt.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:17 AM   #8
dw
Tech Adept

Having said tht I'm wrong, trinity's advertising definitely claims increased torque from the bigger brushes.
Thinking about it isn't the point of narrowing brushes on an mvp to avoid magnetic saturation. If so this is an extreme case so the rules may be back to front from normal.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:30 AM   #9
Tech Master

I'm not sure I am fully on the bandwagon when it comes to the Trinity magnets versus the Ti magnets. If the Ti magnets were the "best" then why doesnt Trinity use them? I know someone will post: Because there more expensive. Well, to be honest I don't buy that either. It seems Trinity wants to totally dominate everything they make, I dont think that they would want anyone of there customers thinking there stuff was subpar, when its not, compaired to the competition.
All I'm saying is that I'm not a Scientist, or mathmatician, and the type of magnets used in each design is probably better suited toward that certain designed can. I've never had a problem with Reedy, or Trinity products come to think of it. Besides I usually run 2-3 arms in a can and toss it probably before I'd notice any Ill effects when it comes to the magnets.