R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2004, 11:35 PM   #16
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to rcnewb2004

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I really appreiate it.

Its like giving a blind man a walking stick. (he's getting somewhere now)

AdrianM: So a 8:1 is ok on a 10x1 as long as I don't floor it often?

071: Just to see if I got this straight,
Eg.
If i skim after 5 runs , the amout skimmed off the com after 2 skims (10 runs) is less than the amount I skim once after 10 runs?

While I am at it, might as well ask, wtf does a schottky diode do? i know it has something to do with braking... but the exact use of the diode is a fuzz to me.
rcnewb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:18 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You are correct. two skims after 5 runs each will probably remove less material than leaving it for 1 skim after 10 runs. As the comm wears, it'll get more out of round, which will bounce the brushes more, and result in more arcing and even faster comm wear. You could theoretically skim after each run, but that could end up being overkill. Although, my Reedy KR's would probably benefit from such maintenance. :P

So, if you were to really push a v2 10x1 for 25-30 runs without any maintenance (e.g touring car with about an 8.0 ratio), the motor would probably be toast. By the 30th run it would probably run like a mabuchi and you wouldn't be able to cut the comm properly.
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:21 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The schottky diode helps the brae fets operate more efficiently. Not sure how it does it, but it seems to work. Back in the good ole days you could always count on your brake fets blowing out, but it's not so much of a problem anymore.
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:44 AM   #19
Tech Master

I guess the diode will prevent the current generated by towing the motor from feeding back into the brake fets?

If u run a KR then for sure... most of the guys here.... don't even use their KR unless its for a qualifier or something.

at the moment, i think i will do a 10x1 on a 8:1 ratio, but max 6 runs before I get it skimmed (instead of previously 10).

I will keep the same brushes for 20 runs (at least that's my plan).

So 3 skims per set of brushes
or would u think more is required to keep the comm in shape?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:36 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have an 11x2 and 10x2 Surikarn Vantage motors. On a track with a 140 foot straight, I gear the 11x2 at 8.1-8.25 and the 10x2 at 8.5-8.6 both with 18 degrees timing. Don't follow the gearing of the pros caused they have killer batts, super free drivetrains and great driving skill. Most important of all, they are sponsored and don't spend for their stuff.

These motors come with sprint brushes installed and should be cut after about 8-10 runs if you are just bashing and every 5 runs if you are racing. If you replace the brushes with enduros, you will get about 20-25 before you have to cut the comm. You can go through 2 race days without cutting with enduros. I cut the comm once and reuse the brush. The next time I cut, I change the brushes.

Please don't take the advise of some people who do not have and have not run this motor. It is a truly revolutionary motor and you really have to experience it to believe it. You will love this motor. It is no faster than any other mod motor out there. Just needs a lot lot lot less maintenance.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:21 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can blow up a mod motor from undergearing just as fast as from over gearing. At 8.5 to 8.6 on a 140 foot track you motor is wound out half way down the straight. At high RPM brush bounce becomes a problem and this leads to burning of the comm. Gearing higher and using the throttle more actually conservers the battery more as you aren't ripping full throttle everywhere on the track.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 07:41 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
You can blow up a mod motor from undergearing just as fast as from over gearing. At 8.5 to 8.6 on a 140 foot track you motor is wound out half way down the straight. At high RPM brush bounce becomes a problem and this leads to burning of the comm. Gearing higher and using the throttle more actually conservers the battery more as you aren't ripping full throttle everywhere on the track.
I read that you should gear down one or two teeth on these motors compared to other mod motors of the same same wind so I tried it. Works for me. I have over 60 runs on my 11x2 Surikarn and it is still as fast as the day I got it. Comm has been cut 4 times, brushes have been changed three times with zero problems. To me, this motor seems as fast as any motor of the same wind out there except for maybe a KR. My 10x2 is still new and has only been run twice.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:43 PM   #23
Tech Master

Jedi:

so I can get 8-10 bashes using sprints and 20-25 using enduros before i need to cut my com?

if this is correct, i will get it right now. that sounds almost too good to be true!

as for the gearing, will have to start a new thread and ask some other people. because i am not even sure if 8+:1 gearing ratios are avaliable for my car.

AdrianM:

I agree with you on this one, 8.5-8.6 sound a bit extreme for a straight track... I think u can do well with a 8.4 (but ofcourse I don't have this motor)... but I think 8.6 is undergearing a fair bit.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #24
Tech Master

I figured out what HS and HT mean. High Speed and High Torque.

It seem only avaliable for some winds of the revolution motor however.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:47 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rcnewb2004
I guess the diode will prevent the current generated by towing the motor from feeding back into the brake fets?
Bingo. That's exactly what it does.
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 03:53 PM   #26
Tech Regular

This has already been mentioned, but to clarify the real advantage of the v2 motors is that maintenance is much lower compared to standard modifieds. A lot of it has to do with the angled brushes. Because they are set at an angle, they don't "bounce" off the comm as easily as conventional motors. So, the spring tension doesn't need to be as heavy to keep the brushes in solid contact with the comm. Because the tension is lighter, there is less wear on the comm and the brushes.
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:10 PM   #27
Tech Master

mw: a diode will do what I have mentioned, however, why does it have to be a schottky diode, i heard it has a "high forward voltage" or something.... what advantage does the "schottky" diode have compared to just a plain old diode?

i bought the motor. i am so eager to see it.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 PM   #28
Tech Regular

rcnewb,

Yes, you can get those ratios with your car. Stay with the 128t spur and get pinions from 31t-33t. And yes. 8.6 sound like undergearing but it works just fine for me with 18 degree timing and practice batts(no more runtime).. With race batts, I go up to 8.35-8.5. Basically, I stay with the tallest gearing that does not overheat the motor and allows me to make runtime.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:51 PM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I was under the impression that the surikarn v2 should be set at a lower timing(12*) then the standard and touring version(18*)...

Also less timing and gearing up(8.2) is better then more timing and gearing down(8.6)...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #30
Tech Master

fatdoggy, why is less timing better gearing better?

actually i might as well ask... what exactly is timing? and how does it make ur motor faster?

I haven't been able to find a good article to explain this well to me.

why should the surikarn be set to lower timing?