Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 AM   #31
ajg

What charger should I get for them?
ajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:34 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GundamWZero
NiCads carry more voltage (1.25v vs. the alkaline 1.5v) amd NiMh carry more voltage and milliamps the the previous two.
You might want to check your math.... NiCd and NiMH batteries both carry voltages of 1.2-1.25 V per cell range.... Alkaline batteries carry voltage of 1.5V per cell...

Sorry bout your math - but that equals a .25-.30 voltage difference per cell in favor of Alkaline batteries. Over the total of the batteries in an 8 cell pack (typical for transmitters) you are looking at a 2.0-2.4 voltage drop utilizing NiMH versus Alkaline batteries.

The only true advantage of using niMH batteries in our radios is the ability to chage them - they do not yield longer range, longer life - or any other claimed benefit.
tufferwilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #33
ajg

Thanks, I'll order some new crystals, have my comm cut and get new brushes, and get more cells for my battery pack. That will get me to about 100mph. Then I will get neodynium magnets for the motor.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

If you use NiCads, a normal charger, pretty much any charger will do. But NiMH needs a special charger, a NiMH charger. the new high-end chargers can charge both types of cells.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #35
ajg

Yeah, my charger can charge both, but nicads and mimh batteries cost to much, for not having more volts.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by tufferwilde
The only true advantage of using niMH batteries in our radios is the ability to chage them - they do not yield longer range, longer life - or any other claimed benefit.
I never said that rechargable batteries can give you longer range, or longer life. Check my posts again . I said that switching to either NiCads, or NiMh, with new crystals will increase his range of his current radio system from 150ft. to 300ft.

If you would have read thoughly, you would also know that all surface radio systems carry a range of 300ft. New or used.....

Old 08-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ajg
Yeah, my charger can charge both, but nicads and mimh batteries cost to much, for not having more volts.
Nicads don't cost much, you can pick up two four cell packs from Radio Shack pretty cheaply, but you get what you pay for. Will I buy Nicads from Radio Shack? Only if my Hobby store is closed and I wanted new batteries!

Ask you LHS for some Sanyo rechargeable AA batteries; It may set you back about 25 dollars, but they are worth it in the long run. Don't charge them like you would a sub-c 3300 NiMH or a 2400 Nicad pack, they can't take that much juice at once. Just trickle charge them overnight, they will be fine. After three months, you'll be wondering why you didn't get them before.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #38
ajg

But they have less volts, which means laess power. Why would I want them?
Old 08-04-2004, 12:22 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Power won't increase your radio range! In order to increase your radio range past 300ft. is with the aid of a booster! If you want to spend 8 or 9 dollars for 8 AA batteries every two or three weeks, hey its your money......NiCads and NiMhs will save you change in the long run. Besides I can make my Evo III reach 300 ft. with my radios power at 9v, that is when my battery alarm kicks in. Having it at 12v will not make a difference; it will still start gliitching at more the 300ft away! NiMhs carry more mahs, which means it will provide power longer than the standard nicads and alkaline cells. Ask a nitro race what he uses for a reciever pack and you'll see a NiMh pack. AA NiMh packs been out for a while now, there aren't as needed for racing as the reciever packs........here take a look at this:

These aren't even the ones I have. The ones I have are only 2300 mah.......I only have five of them on my helicopters reciever. normaly it would take either 6 to 8 nicad cells for 4 or 5 hrs flight time, safely.

If you want to reach 300 feet (your radios original range) I would switch to NiMhs and replace both crystals! And if you antenna is loose at the joints, replace that too!

Old 08-04-2004, 01:04 PM   #40
ajg

Ok, Thanks. Were can I get that pack thing in the pic? My lhs is moving so they don't have much stuff left (trying to sell stuff so they don't have to move it).
Old 08-04-2004, 01:39 PM   #41
Tech Elite

www.newtecs.de . but watch out, everything is in German! There are key words you'd recognize like NiCad and NiMh..... follow those links. The site was labeled on the batteries themselves, so I went to the site to see what else they got.