R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-03-2004, 03:25 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Go to your LHS and pick up a set of crystals and some NiCad or NiMH AA batteries. The NiCads has a voltage of 1.25 per battery (1.5v for alkaline) and the NimH has a higher mah rating than both of the other batteries.

Your crystal maybe old, and they are wearing out so replace them.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #17
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

You can buy the Hitec Eclipse (typically a aircraft radio) and put the surface Spectra module in it, then get a good receiver to go with it, like the Hitec DCX. You'll have plenty of range. But it is a stick radio and you'll spend a lot of $$$
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #18
ajg

Can you tell me why the nicad/nimh batteries are better?

Thanks
ajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
ajg

My e-maxx's radio has about 500 feet of range, should I use that?
Old 08-03-2004, 09:27 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Such a bad idea

I'm not sure why this issue is being explored. Why in your right mind would you want to run your car at 70 mph up to 1000 feet away on a street? You really don't have any upside, even if you find a radio that'll work. Best case scenario, you gain a few mph, woohoo! Does anyone else live on this street? I sure hope not. What happens if you glitch and hit someone at top speed? If I got hit, I would make sure that the monetary damage to your car looked like a drop in the bucket. Now don't start with the usual, "I'm careful and make sure that no one is around". The fact is, people have been hit before, and the driver almost always thought that there was no one around.

I'm glad that you have a fast car and want to explore the true potential of it. But, I hope that you think twice about your planned course of action. These cars are small, but the potential liability is HUGE.
071crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:35 PM   #21
ajg

I would be suprised if there was any one walking around. Do you know where I live, New Mexico, yeah, there isn't a bunch of people walking around, especially were the houses cost over $500,000 and are 100's of feet apart, and are no curbs, and no sidewalks, and nobody even at home, they're all at work. And if I add more cells to my battery pack, I'll be hitting around 100mph, so I need more range so I can get to that speed.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Well, it sounds like you've got a wonderful life, kid. I can tell that you've got no perception of risk vs. reward. It's great that you live in a 500,000 dollar house. I am very happy that you can live in the lap of luxury while your neighbors still work hard during the day. But that still doesn't rationalize the risk. If you live the good life, then you have to take measures to protect it. It is highly unlikely that you will ever hit anyone, but what happens in that small probability that you do? If you do hit a human, it will likely be a kid, and that'll create a nice legal mess.

In a more likely scenario, what happens when you hit a stake or a sprinkler head when your car glitches? As you move further and further away, the interference increases exponentially, and there really isn't much you can do. If you're running at 70+mph, the outcome is simple. Well, if you have that kind of money to burn, then congratulations.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Default btw

Cliff Lett has a tough time reaching 100 mph, and his speeds are verified by radar. You're gonna have a tough time reaching the century mark, since doubling the cells doesn't equate to doubling speed.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:09 PM   #24
ajg

There is no one around, and if I go off the road, I'm in the weeds. Also, there is no one around, oh and I forgot, that there's no one around.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:11 PM   #25
ajg

Default Re: btw

Quote:
Originally posted by 071crazy
Cliff Lett has a tough time reaching 100 mph, and his speeds are verified by radar. You're gonna have a tough time reaching the century mark, since doubling the cells doesn't equate to doubling speed.
There is lots of people that have gone over 100mph, nitro and electric. And my car weighs ALOT less than a 1/10 and uses all the same stuff.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:36 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Have you tried fitting an extra cell in your transmitter pack?

It won't hurt the radio (assuming 8 cell pack here) but it will boost your range a bit.
vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:45 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

less weight has nothing to do with top speed... only helps acceleration. No, not too many have broken 100 mph. How are you measuring your speed?
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 11:51 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by ajg
Can you tell me why the nicad/nimh batteries are better?

Thanks
NiCads carry more voltage (1.25v vs. the alkaline 1.5v) amd NiMh carry more voltage and milliamps the the previous two.

Old 08-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #29
ajg

How long will the nicads last in the radio before charging, and which ones do you recommend?

About the top speed stuff, yes there are quite a few that have gone over 100mph, and if that was the topic of this thread, I would talk more about it.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:18 AM   #30
Tech Elite

NiCads last quite awhile, depending on how much you use your radio. NiMHs last even longer and deliver more power. Again, go to your LHS and ask for what type of rechargable batteries they carry. I have 5 2300mah AA NiMH batteries to supply power for my receiver on my helicopter. And let me tell you something, I never seen my battery gauge go to the max before, not even with the NiCads.

Last edited by GundamWZero; 08-04-2004 at 09:24 AM.