Wiki Posts
Search

Best lathe for a novice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 03:00 AM
Tech Regular

Default Best lathe for a novice?

Hey guys,

Looking to buy a lathe because, well, I've had my comm cut before and it looks fun doing it and I want to learn more about my motors even though I am just running stock.

Right now I've only seen a few lathes, the ones on Tower Hobbies are the:

Trinity 150$ (carbide tip)
HUDY $$$?
Team Cobra 110$

I have no clue what I need, I have no clue what to get, and I have no clue where to get it. Tower only has 2 and I've tried my favorite online stores and they didn't carry them. Can someone give me a lead on something?

What is better, bearings or v-block?
Does the diamond tip really cut better, is it worth the price?

I don't plan on cutting everyone's comms at races. Just me and my friends probably, is what I'm thinking, at least for this first season. So, do i really need a diamond tip now? Can't i upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-31-2004, 06:00 AM
Suspended

Default Which Lathe?

You should visit (rccars.com) and read some of the posts there. The entire site is devoted to motors and the equipment needed for them. I have a Trinity Tru Lathe with a carbide and diamond bit. I have used both bits and there is little difference. The diamond bit will give you a more polished look, but once you run the motor the shine is gone anyway. Diamond bits are really fragile. One wrong hit and there goes $80. I think it's best to stick with carbide tips because you can use them over and over by sharpening them and if you do replace them they're only 5-10$. Big Jim Greenemeyer (rccars.com) is the true authority on electric motors and he prefers carbide. Visit this website and you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

stormer hobbies sells the cobra with a diamond bit for around $160.00 thats the best deal out there right now. the best lathe is the hudy. which ever lathe you get have someone show you how to use it first. light cuts and practice with an old comm. do not use your best motor first.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

donoman - The integy auto lathe, it's the best deal out and they give a perfect cut. Forget the daimond bit for now, a cut with a fresh carbide is just as good. As for guides definately buy V-blocks, BB's get fouled up with shavings.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Orion has a nice lathe, very easy to use.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is one of those things where simpler is better. The Cobra lathe is excellent. It is a great deal at $160 with a diamond bit. Mine cuts as well as any of the lathes my friends have.

Whatever you choose stay away from lathes with bearing supports for the armature shaft. They develop play and get clogged with copper chips from the comm. V or U groove arm supports are best.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Team Cobra makes a "Stock Comm Lathe"... I am racing 27T stock with an Orion Core Stock motor... can I still buy the "better lathes" from Team Cobra (the Pro 2000 Comm Lathe)?

Right now seems like every lathe manufacturer is good, or at least this is what your responses tell me. Seems like everyone has gone out there and bought a lathe and been satisfied with whatever they got... so I guess I'll buy the cheapest one I can find ...
Old 07-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Stock Comm lathe was for the old non rebuildable stock motors. Stock Comm lates are obsolete now. Get the standard one. It works for all current stock or mod motors.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i recomend v-guides over u channel.in order for the armiture shaft to spin freely in a u guide it needs to have a slightly larger radius for it to spin freely which in terms can create chatter and also tool breakdown.i did own a cobra and it worked good,i just like v-guides better and seem to get a more precise cut.and for the money,the integy auto lathe is gotta be the best deal i have seen.i bought one and am very happy with it.if you would like to spend the extra money,the hudy executive lathe is top notch and the most advanced high quality lathe that i have seen
Old 07-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Go with an Integy Lathe, or Xipp, get both from Integy.com, link in my profile. Go with the Auto lathe, or the Xipp Super Mod 2, but make sure you get the diamond bit they sell for those lathes.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

I recommend the hudy lathe its a bit pricey but well worth it in the end
Old 07-31-2004, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

The hudy advanced lathe is great. It's $159 on stormer. Buy carbide bits from mcmaster for $3.50 each, and cobra or fantom cutting fluid(>$4) and your set.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

sharpee markers work the best and they dont make as much of a mess as cutting fluids do and best of all,a box of em is about 3 or 4 bucks
Old 07-31-2004, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

well, Jason, actually WD40 works the best, it is about 50 better than a marker, and about 30 percent better than any cutting fluid out there..., try it, see how it works, I know I used it on my new auto lathe and it was unreal...
Old 07-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

I have been using a drop of after run oil.....

is kinda messy though..

I think for a first lathe, a used cobra is the way to go..
its what I got and it does mirror cuts..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.