R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-02-2004, 02:11 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

What's the best way of getting such a free drivetrain?? Ceramic bearings like ACER bearings?? stuff like that??

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:29 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin
I've seen Lex Tyler's drive train (TC3) and it spins for 30 seconds no problem. I've heard he and some of the guys at RC Tech timed it once when he really got into it and it did 1:20. I didn't believe it until I saw for myself. Pretty impressive.
and whenever Lex touches a board at Speedworld he's pulling it into the pits to replace the gears he just stripped
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:30 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Lex runs the AE Factory Team bearings - same ones you can get in a the kit. When you get them, just remove a seal and spray out the factory grease with motor spray until the bearing spins on it's own under the force of the spray - then add 1/2 to 1 drop of very thin bearing oil. Do it for all the bearings in your drive train replacing any that feel gritty.

Then you need to work through the drive train looking for friction points. In older TC3's, the diff cases were too tight and pinched the bearings requiring you to Dremel them out to free up the drive train (Warpspeed diff cases already had this done). Now you can get the NTC3 cases (I believe - or maybe they're just new V2 TC3 cases) and they're supposed to be much more free.

Basically, it's a process of going through whatever car you have, figuring out the trouble spots, and shimming / Dremeling / etc. to remove restriction.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:32 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
and whenever Lex touches a board at Speedworld he's pulling it into the pits to replace the gears he just stripped
If he would ever COME to Speedworld anymore. Working for the man is BS!!! Then again, SW mod guys seem content to dominate 19T these days without The Rocket Man to light their fuses.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:34 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Griffin
If he would ever COME to Speedworld anymore. Working for the man is BS!!! Then again, SW mod guys seem content to dominate 19T these days without The Rocket Man to light their fuses.
Yeah, after I left no one wants to run mod anymore, bunch of wimps
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 08-02-2004, 02:39 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

Lex is a very nice guy.

I met him my first night racing at RC Tech and he showed me a little about battery discharging and usage, gave me some tips. Definitely a cool guy. I noticed he had a killer setup and was very very neat about everything.

This week I'll ask him to spin his drivetrain and ask him how he got there. Then when he tells me I'm not going to post it on the internet, suckas!! !!! hahaaha just kidding.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:41 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by donoman
Lex is a very nice guy.

I met him my first night racing at RC Tech and he showed me a little about battery discharging and usage, gave me some tips. Definitely a cool guy. I noticed he had a killer setup and was very very neat about everything.

This week I'll ask him to spin his drivetrain and ask him how he got there. Then when he tells me I'm not going to post it on the internet, suckas!! !!! hahaaha just kidding.
Lex is cool, you should of seen him at the Reedy race walking around spinning his drivetrain I "believe" his record was 1 minute 30 seconds.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 08-02-2004, 05:52 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
What's the best way of getting such a free drivetrain?? Ceramic bearings like ACER bearings?? stuff like that??
i've got my pro4 drivetrain pritty much dead set as free as they come. just take out all the oil from the bearings and use microlon

i've done this to all bearings except the 4 bearings that support the crown gears... the only thing that stops it is the little inperfections on the rear diff gear

i'll have a review of how my "microlon treated bearings" are going on www.rcunderground.net soon.... along with my microlon treated NSR

....i've even treated my cat with it
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Ok guys, how about belt drive cars? i know its a totally different story becasue you got to start thinking about the rotational mass, and also tension of the belts.

my trf415 for 19t spins about 6 seconds on a good day, but im honestly not too fussed, when i owned a shaft drive i spent WAAY too much time free'ing the car up to realise it was pretty much pointless as i wasnt noticeing a difference at all really. now days i just make sure there is no bind and everything is smooth so under load it is nice and free.
Evo_Uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:26 AM   #25
Tech Master

Default What he just said.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Rabara
If the drive train moves when you blow on it without the wheels, it's free.

I can blow on the spur gear and make the wheels turn not a great deal but spins non the less.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 AM   #26
Tech Master

Default ...and that too.....

Quote:
Originally posted by onnetz
you guys are probably more experienced than I am, but what I do to check how "free" everything is, is this....
spin each cvd individually to eliminate any problems there...
they should be very smooth and no resistance....
then I take the shaft out and check the rear diff by setting my finger on the spur and turning it slowly... so that I can FEEL for any bad spots... kinda like someone trying to pick a combo lock...lol usually there will be one or two spots of resistance.. on my tc3 its always the small bevel gear being out of center..
after that is smoothed out I then do the same with the front diff....
check one thing at a time and use the process of elimination..
maybe thats taking it too far but its how I do it...lol
check each rotating part individually first.
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

my r2 turn about 30 sec. on a hard spin
but my friend used only 4 balls on each of the high speed bearing (original 11) on the diff, cover was removed except the external cover. that train will turn with only 1 gram put on the spur...
rcsabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 AM   #28
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to lazyboy

my pro4 is so free, that every time i hit the borads with the oneway i crack off teeth on the beveled gear.... but i think with my pro4 being stock to a certain point i have about 1 minute of drive train spin after a full rebuild
Trackside hobbies
lazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:35 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Anybody want to take a stab at helping me free up the drivetrain on my Losi XXX-s. I've got the black belt kit on the car, but I don't want to cut any of the teeth. Is there other ways of freeing it up besides this?

- JayBee

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #30
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I got 28 secs of free spin with the wheels on out of my SD, and about 6 out of my XXXS with fresh rebuilds.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote