Yokomo CGM

Old 08-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

are you guys still using the top hole for the knuckle on the outside of the arm?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Is CGM heavier than SD?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by dragoneuh
Is CGM heavier than SD?
Yes.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Im using the bottom hole all the way around.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (100%+)

Does anyone know what the actual pound of the yokomo springs?
Old 08-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Default One thing I've noticed is that....

sure people don't mind if a question has been asked before but if it doesn't get answered in the first page or two that it's posted in it usually gets passed over.

Anyway my question is. Are the dogbones supposed to be such a sloppy side to side fit in the outdrives? I've noticed about 1/2 mm movement side to side which is the cause of the rattle in the drive train.

BUT when I put in spacers on either side of the dogbone pins (made of 1/4 mm segments of 14 gauge wire insulation) to take out this free play I also lose overall drive train free wheeling spin.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

not sure of what you mean. here is a pic of my rear outdrive. the pin fits with very little play. the drive pin will move when the suspension moves up and down. but my lower suspension arm moves moves front to back about 1/2 a mm. i will try shimming this later. i only run stock so i have not seen anything that could cause any problems. but then again my car is a little loose in the rear. i will shim the arm this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo CGM-picture-059.jpg  
Old 08-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by baih
not sure of what you mean. here is a pic of my rear outdrive. the pin fits with very little play. the drive pin will move when the suspension moves up and down. but my lower suspension arm moves moves front to back about 1/2 a mm. i will try shimming this later. i only run stock so i have not seen anything that could cause any problems. but then again my car is a little loose in the rear. i will shim the arm this weekend.
Ok put it this way the round ball part (not the pins) of the dogbone is very sloppy in the outdrive in that there is approx 1/2 mm side to side movement.

Which can be best observed when it is rotated slowly and you can see the pin drop in the outdrive slot when rotated from the horizontal position.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

ok great, mine does it too. now this is going to bug me also.
the axle does move as you described. i will put a battery in this weekend and see if it smoothes out at different speeds.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

ok great, mine does it too. now this is going to bug me also.
the axle does move as you described. i will put a battery in this weekend and see if it smoothes out at different speeds.
I'll certainly be interested to know what happens because at slow speed (that being what you can generate by pushing or spinning the wheels) it makes a hell of a rattle.

So I hope it smooths out at speed because cutting 1/4 mm spacers to take out the slop is something I'd rather not have to do. And it takes away free wheeling ability (but not smoothness) of the transmission when I do.

Last edited by Mabuchi540; 08-12-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

well i tried to check the axle movement under power. i clamped the chassis in a vise and ran the car. slow speed you can see the axle bouncing. at higher speed it looks like it smoothes out but i think the bouncing is so fast it looks smooth. i used a sponge to put a load on the tires and there was no change.
my next trip to the track in two weeks, and i will show the factory guys. maybe i will get an answer.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

well i tried to check the axle movement under power. i clamped the chassis in a vise and ran the car. slow speed you can see the axle bouncing. at higher speed it looks like it smoothes out but i think the bouncing is so fast it looks smooth. i used a sponge to put a load on the tires and there was no change.
my next trip to the track in two weeks, and i will show the factory guys. maybe i will get an answer.
Here's hoping I'd sure be interested in hearing any explanation they have that could justify it being a good thing lol.