R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Returning TC racer looking for Advice

Been away from the TC racing scene for about 7 years or so and have been bitten by the racing bug again. I have looked at several reviews on the top cars out there and they all seem good. I am not under the delusion that I will be the next TC world champ, but I am looking for an easy to maintain/work on, easy to drive car with good setup support (i.e. lots of racers have them or there is good setup sheets online). I will be racing in the Everett, WA area if it matters. I am looking to race asphalt during the summer and carpet in the winter (local clubs run rubber only) so I am not looking for a one trick pony. Relatively easy to get parts would be an added plus. Any an all opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Chris.
stan_race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Default tc6

I just bought the tc6 it's nice
Old 12-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

X-Ray's get my vote
smokefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default My choice

I would say TOP PHOTON.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Just go to LHS and see what parts they stock. My track stocks associated parts. But I chose a TOP Photon. I have to buy most of my parts online and I live in socal.
hanzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Smokefan,

How do you find the parts support are you ordering online or buying at your local shop? I hear the parts can also be a little pricy, do you have any experience with other cars to comment on this? Thanks.

Chris.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan_race View Post
Smokefan,

How do you find the parts support are you ordering online or buying at your local shop? I hear the parts can also be a little pricy, do you have any experience with other cars to comment on this? Thanks.

Chris.
Chris, I buy some at the LHS and what they don't have I order from Nexus. I have ran Associated cars in the past and in my opinion the X-Rays are hands down for me a easier car to drive fast. And yes some of the parts are a little pricey but I find that I am not breaking near as much with my X-Ray as I did with my old cars. Now that being said I haven't seen anyone near me run the new TC6 so I can't comment on it.
smokefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

we have a bloke here in my local club in australia and he never breaks anything on his xray and I shit you not he moves car tyres and witches hats that far you would not believe. He cant drive at all and for the small track we run on indoors he is putting a 3.5 or whatever in his xray so isnt going slow but I tell ya if you want a car to cope with bad treatment go with a xray.

But that being said I am AE all the way cause I know how to drive. I havent broke a part either and if I did they are cheap and easily bought over the net.

Good luck
PS as a funny that guy I was just talkin about hit a small car tyre nearly 4 feet from where is was meant to be so thats how tough they are lol
Old 12-31-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Been away from the TC racing scene for about 7 years or so and have been bitten by the racing bug again. I have looked at several reviews on the top cars out there and they all seem good. I am not under the delusion that I will be the next TC world champ, but I am looking for an easy to maintain/work on, easy to drive car with good setup support (i.e. lots of racers have them or there is good setup sheets online). I will be racing in the Everett, WA area if it matters. I am looking to race asphalt during the summer and carpet in the winter (local clubs run rubber only) so I am not looking for a one trick pony. Relatively easy to get parts would be an added plus. Any an all opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Chris.

What are the people at your track running & where do they get parts? A lot of people at my track are running the Top Photon. Since so many run the car the LHS has started to stock parts for it.
flyintrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

first ck out the local scene and what folks seem to be running and local shops supporting. this will help with two things... parts availability and also tuning advice.

i was in the same position as you two years ago. I ended up running xray since thats what is mostly supported locally. i got lucky finding a turnkey used packaged here on rctech for an 08 eu and been running that.

from what I seen running indoor and outdoors. xrays can take a beating and keep running. I mean, the materials and tooling for the plastic molding on these xrays is superior to anything I have used in the past. it is strong and the tolerances precise. I have a crc pan car and I only wish their plastic was as good as xrays...
rcko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Smokefan,

Chris.
I would suggest you take a little drive over to RC Hobbies in Woodinville, they have the new TC6 and the new Xray 2011 in stock plus parts for both. Redmond Hobbies may also have what your looking for, don't think they have xray. Sean and Canyon from RC hobbies are the unoffical parts suppliers for the Seattle Racers program at the Hanger, With Redmond Hobbies being the unofficial tire supplier.

on another note, for years I ordered on line cause no lhs carried parts for my Schumacher. there are several on line shops that have quick and dependable service no matter what car you chose.

There is a hobby shop in everett but I can't remember the name.

hope this helps.

P.S. The Hanger is having a track rebuild day this sunday starting at 9am stop by and chat. lots of helpful folks there.

think the web site with directions is www.seattlercracers.com
Old 12-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

I certainly had planned on checking out the local scene. The asphalt club doesnt start until late spring but the local indoor carpet series is having a race on the 8th and I am going to check that out. I also wouldn't be against picking up a decent used rig however I would prefer new. I appreciate everyone's input and can see this isnt going to be an easy choice Keep the opinions coming folks!

Chris.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

check the race the calender, I think that race has been moved to the 15th