R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Novak Smart Tray revisited

Now that I have had some time with my Novak Smart Tray, I seek some input from the "peanut gallery".

First...While running everyone's equipment on a generator at the track, the Novak indicates "LP" (Low power) whenever there is not enought juice available. At these times, I tend to get false peaks from my chargers. I consider the "LP" notification to be a time that I need to watch my chargers.

Second...The electrical connect plug from the included power supply is very fussy about being plugged into the tray properly. Anybody else experiencing this?

Third...Almost invariably, the right two cells (as placed on the tray) go out first. They are followed by the left cell and then the other three. Anyone else experiencing this sequence?

Fourth...When discharging to .9V per cell, I need to cycle through them 2-3 times to have the cells discharge to .9V each. The first discharge cycle never completes the job. And each subsequent cycle still takes several minutes for the last lamp to go out. Doubt that this is much to do with "cell rebound" because I immediately press the tray's start button after all lights go out.

FYI...I am discharging most of the way down with lights before traying the battery packs.

Any comments?

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

this is why I still love the indi/integy trays.......0v cutoff, just keep your eyes on the light bulbs, it's worth to me and the integy trays are muuuuuuuch cheaper than any other.....

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #3
Tech Master

I noticed the plug seems to not fit in the jack right too. As far as the other items I'll have to check out.

I don't like that it only accepts packs built one particular way. Something I didn't realize to be a problem at first but having to flip the pack over and have the tabs down can cause some problems.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:13 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by SalvadoriRacing
this is why I still love the indi/integy trays.......0v cutoff, just keep your eyes on the light bulbs, it's worth to me and the integy trays are muuuuuuuch cheaper than any other.....
Salvadori Racing,

I also have Indi/Integy trays; however, I also know when something is technologically better...And that is the Smart Tray.

I don't have to keep my eyes on the light bulbs every time I tray discharge...Which is worth the initial cost alone.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekB
I noticed the plug seems to not fit in the jack right too. As far as the other items I'll have to check out.

I don't like that it only accepts packs built one particular way. Something I didn't realize to be a problem at first but having to flip the pack over and have the tabs down can cause some problems.
Yes, the tabs being in the wrong direction was an issue for me too. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to brians11

I just recently got a smart tray, and it seems to have been well worth it.... love not having to watch it constantly have had no problems with it tho...
Old 08-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

i have some questions:

Could someone compare the

Smart Tray vs. the Rayspeed.

How often do you use your Smart Tray on something other than 0.9V per cell?

Also, you discharge with the bulbs at 20-30A prior to hopping on the tray equalizers, right? This is just to save time?
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by donoman
i have some questions:

Could someone compare the

Smart Tray vs. the Rayspeed.

How often do you use your Smart Tray on something other than 0.9V per cell?

Also, you discharge with the bulbs at 20-30A prior to hopping on the tray equalizers, right? This is just to save time?
These dischargers have previously been compared before on other strings. Use the search function to find what you want.

Otherwise, I only use .9V rate. Yes, using lights does save time.

Still looking for replies from others that actually are using the Smart Tray.

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I haven't had any problems with my Novak Tray. I have noticed that I have more capacity and higher voltages than when I previously used a Pro-Match Tray. The Novak Tray works faster than the Pro-Match Tray(it would take most of the day with the Pro-Match). I wouldn't use anything but a Novak Tray now. I have only used the 0.9 volt setting so far.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:24 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to wikedgmc

the only help I can give you Billis when I use my Smart tray I first discharge my batteries on my 30 amp integy discharger with cut off, then my batteries equalize within about 3 minutes and the always cut out in a different order. Also if I try to retray the light turn off right away again. Hope this helps