R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2002, 05:48 PM   #16
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have had no problems at all charging with my Intellipeak Digital Pulse charger. So far I have charged 6 cell NiCD packs, 4 cell NiCD lathe packs, 5 cell NiCD reciever packs, 8 cell NiCD transmitter packs, 6 cell NiMH packs, and now a 8 cell NiMH transmitter pack. All with no false peaks.

Put that performance, with the fact that it came with its own power supply, all for about $40 less than the Millenium cost. But I'm sure the Millenium has some kind of useless bell or whistle that makes it worth the money, even with the false peaks. Right?
Old 04-23-2002, 06:00 PM   #17

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Darksied, go to radio shack and buy a tray for 8 AA batteries, it is about 2 dollars, that way you don't have to worry about the wires melting.

I think anything under 1.5 would just take too long, it takes about 45 minutes already for me, probably an hour for 1 and maybe almost 2 for .5

Honestly, with nimh you should take them off if they get warm, and charging at 1.5 they barely get warm so I think it's safe.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 09:27 PM   #18
Regional Moderator

Speedo:Go buy a tray? Why would I disassemble a pack, just to use a tray? At some point, I would still have to add wires to the tray to charge the batteries and connect it to my radio.

Look, I'm not telling you your method is wrong. Its just a simple matter of safety for me. My radio's manual reccomends not going above 1amp while charging the pack, because of the small size of the wires, my charger's manual reccomends not charging/discharging the packs with such small wires at anything above 1amp. So I figure all these warnings are for a reason. Even at 1amp, you can feel the wires getting warm, so (I figure) why push it, when the companies tell you not to.

If adding that extra .5 amp speeds things up that much for you, cool. For me, charging my transmitter pack at no higher than 1amp gives me piece of mind and is fast enough.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:39 PM   #19

Radio shack has a tray that puts 4 batteries on one side, four on the other. I just put them in that (just a matter of taking them out of the radio tray) and hook up the charging leads to the two "dimples" at the top.

Do you have a radio that is is difficult to get the batteries out of? I assume that is the case and that you have to hook up small chargind leads? If so, I can see where you are coming from...I melted my M8 tray when I made a jack into the bottom of it...

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 07:59 AM   #20
Regional Moderator

Speedo: Now I see what your talking about when you say a tray.

But actually no, the Lynx3D has a very easy to remove battery tray. You just slide it out. It also already has a charging jack right there on the side of the radio/tray for the slow wall charger that came with the radio(thanks HiTec ) That wall charger is what I use most of the time when I charge the pack. Its slow(charges at .5amp or less I believe) but, I can just plug it up when I get up in the morning, and unplug it later in the day. Then on top of that, the battery pack is easy to remove from the tray. All you have to do is unplug the Futaba J type plug that connects the pack to the tray, and the battery is availible for 'real' charging. The only time I actually use my 'real' charger to charge the pack, is when I'm in a hurry.

Now I think I might know where we are losing each other at. The Lynx3D comes with a rechargable battery pack standard. Thusly, it comes with a tray designed only to hold the battery pack. So using regular AA rechargables isn't an option without purchasing Hitec's battery tray designed to hold individual AA cells. To add to this, the Lynx3D also has a pretty cool method of which it connects the tray to the radio.(all you have to do is slide the tray in, and the power pins line up) So using an after market tray isn't an option.

So when faced with the option of buying the AA cells then going out and getting Hitec's tray to hold them, or just putting the cells into a pack, I choose the pack route. And of course, like all receiver/transmitter packs, it uses those tiny wires.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:57 AM   #21
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what ppl said about millennium is when your charging cells that havent beed charged for a long time...it tends to false peak..but after 2-3 tries...it would charge normally...and it does seem to work that way....

they manual said the charger could handle 4-8 cells...but it only charges for about 20 secs with 8 AA cells....and goes on full charge with 4 cells....dunno whats wrong with that...

but im thinking of getting a pitbull...borrowed on from a friend and its really easy to use and has the false peak cutoff..
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:16 AM   #22
Regional Moderator

Disaster: If you decide to get a pitbull, just please don't use that darn "cell phone" sound effect it has. It has made more than a few people look silly when it goes off and they start looking for a cell phone!

Not that its ever happened to me of course!
Old 04-24-2002, 05:16 PM   #23
dw
Tech Adept

Disaster 999. I think you need to use a 14 volt power supply to fully charge 8 cells with the novak. A 12 volt car battery will not be adequate. Using a lower amp rate should help though.
dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:03 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Disaster999 it happens to good and bad packs. The millennium cannot be trusted. If you have a millennium that works, count yourself lucky.
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 12:14 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Thanks again to everybody who reply'd
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:00 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

I must be lucky then. Because my millenium never false peaks.
DirtTroll is offline   Reply With Quote