R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Christmas Help, need your opinion?

Okay, so my oval car arrived (found one used online $100), in a little rougher shape than I thought. Headed down to hobbytown to pick up some extra stuff with the giftcards I got from my dad, and wife. Here's where I need your help. As I finished my transaction I said, "good thing Hobbytown doesnt have the TC5, or Id of gotten that". dude say's "we can order it"......Crap!

SO....Im stuck, I really want a Touring Car......really liked Oval (tried it couple weeks ago). Went Oval, cause it was a little more affordable....now Ive got a little christmas help.

What would you do, stick with the original plan....and go Oval?

Jump in the mix and get the touring car?

Most of my purchase was for the Oval, another reciever, batteries, wire, connectors, battery bars. (small local racers, brushed stuff is still competetive)

Picked up a backup Servo, another lipo, tools, stuff I needed as backups for the SC truck.

What would you do
hnasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

If you're just getting started in the on-road side of things, start with one class and add from there.

If you're running carpet oval, you'll have plenty to learn setup/tweaking wise before you complicate matters by adding another platform/class.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
If you're just getting started in the on-road side of things, start with one class and add from there.

If you're running carpet oval, you'll have plenty to learn setup/tweaking wise before you complicate matters by adding another platform/class.
I totally agree, its one or the other. I would probably just set the Oval on the shelf or sell it. IF, I went the TC route. That's another part of the equation. I really like to build. I think you have a much better understanding of how things work when you build one. Im looking at this used pan car and have no idea....no manual, no build expierence, no nothing. I pretty much pulled the trigger on the first one I found, just to have something to run. Now, ive got options.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Go with whichever is the most fun.

10L4 Manual and info is at Team AE

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Tech Master

Which group has the bigger turnout to race?

I used to race carpet oval [way back... ], and I think carpet oval is a great place to learn chassis setup and driving control.

Building a car is very rewarding, but seeing how small changes to a pan car change handling characteristics and improve your laptimes can be just as rewarding, IMO.

It sounds like you're just getting started, and a TC can be overwhelming to adjust on simply because there's SO MANY adjustments you can make to get the same results, and there's a LOT more parts you can break on a TC, which drive up the cost of spares and repairs.

If it were me just getting started, I'd race with the biggest group, partly because chances are better for you to get setup help from somebody in the group willing to help.

If the oval crowd is just as big as the TC crowd, I'd recommend wheeling the oval car to learn setup and steering control.

Starting with pan car and moving over to TC, your steering habits will be much better off.

Again, it's just me, I'd race what I had, learn it, and then expand my fleet.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I run both oval and tc carpet classes a race day. I enjoy the change up driving two completely different style cars.
tmaxx26power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Locally the TC is bigger, but we have enough for oval. Im currently running the SC truck indoors, and finally have a setup that works for me. I raced oval (loaner) and loved it. Much better racing than getting beat up in the SC trucks. Its nice to run something on carpet that belongs there.

Everyone is super helpful, either way I go. If I go Oval or TC there is plenty of help to get me headed in the right direction.

Oh, BTW....Ive got $220 bucks worth of stuff, sitting on my bench in my garage that needs to be put together, binded, soldered, programmed, tested....to be ran THIS Saturday.....If I go Oval. Otherwise, my buddy at Hobbytown will be ordering my TC for NEXT Saturday. Along with returning the pile of crap on my bench for store credit.hehe

Last edited by hnasdad; 12-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd say run what you have and learn what you need to know. TC's are amazingly complex, and there are about 10 different ways to adjust one to get the same results. The pan oval cars are LOTS of fun, especially in large groups, and have a few less variables that make learning set up a lot more rewarding. If you already have the stuff, and the spares, run what you brung and have fun! Lots to learn, and TC can be (and usually is) overwhelming to a newbie, especially with all the various and sundry support gear and adjustment points availble in the average TC chassis nowadays.

If you're going to go TC, and committed to the Associated products, I firmly believe that you'd be wasting some of your time with the TC5. The TC5 is one generation behind the power curve, as it was designed for brushed motors and round cell packs. It's day was over as soon as everything switched over to brushless/lipo as a standard.

The TC6 has been updated with all the lessons learned from modding to death TC5s to get them up to speed and stability of the other purpose built brushless/lipo chassis on the market. The TC6 basic design solves all the problems inherent with the TC5 that need changes made to it to get it to within 90% of the TC6's performance envelope as delivered!

The TC5 is a fine car and still plenty competative at the local level(I wheel one), but the TC6 out of the box is hands down a better car and easier to set up and drive with today's current brushless/lipo standard. I've run several TC6s recently, and the out of the box TC6 set up is more stable and carries more corner speed than a fully modded TC5.

Street price for the TC5 has come WAY down (still available direct from AE new for less than $250 on close out), and used they're about the same price range. The TC6s are backordered everywhere and going for full price, so if you were going to make a decision based on economic grounds.......there it is!

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Good Advise Buckaroo, I havent really thought about going TC6, but your input is valid. Im getting the same from a respected local driver. I didnt know about how much the tech improved from the 5 to the 6. I guess I should listen to my own advise,(dad's wisdom)

If you buy the best you will always be satisfied.

Last edited by hnasdad; 12-29-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnasdad View Post
If you buy the best you will will always be satisfied.

That's not always the truth in RC, but I would say: "If you buy what you believe is best, you should be comforted in the belief that your equipment is not holding you back"

That's what I feel anyway, but every track has those one or two guys that change brands every month/week or so