R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2004, 08:34 AM   #16
Suspended

Default ALL

I WOULD DO WITH MY TLT WOULD BASH IN THE YARD OR STREET,DO U THINK THIS IS OK OR SHALL I GO WITH ANOTHER ONE?
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:17 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

It has to do with the motor, and not necessarily the vehicle you're using it in. If you're running a Mabuchi/Johnson motor, it should be fine. If you're running a stock or mild mod motor, no, pick something else.

Rob
Rob Mincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:04 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by teammediocre
Rob for your applacation the XRS is fine it would be great for micro,mini-t but for any racing for 1/10 scale I personally would suggest something else.
Just put one in out 1/10 EVO4. Time will tell, but it looks as good a performer as a Quantum reverse, and is a darn sight cheaper.

I am curious as to why you think it hasn't got the balls for 1/10.
EVOtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #19
Suspended

Default MOTOR

THE MOTOR I HAVE IS THE TEAM ORION HAVOK 15 TURN MOTOR...ANY GOOD?
Old 08-04-2004, 10:19 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyadriver
i wouldnt say much good about this speedo... i gets hot and shuts off in both my F201 and my Tamiya Mini, both running monster stock motors.
i ran this ESC in my F201 at Memphis TCS, and it thermal shutoff'ed twice in the main... almost cost me 3rd place.

ran it in my M04M last weekend, could barely get 3 laps in before it did it again.

both of these were with a Monster stock motor, F-1 was geared about 7.60, not sure about the Mini. the motor was warm, but not burning up, but the esc was pretty toasty.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Last Friday night I had to switch speed controls in my XXXT w/27 turn motor due to a failure of my LRP F1 Pro Reverse. I had a brand new XRS available, so I made the switch. Ran 1 / 5 minute qualifier with no problems. 2nd Qualifier / 2 laps in and car quit working, thought I fried the motor. Next thing, smoke and sparks started pouring out of the car. The XRS did a total meltdown, I mean total. All of the wiring melted off, the casing melted and if it wasn't for a quick handed turn marshall unplugging the battery, I think the whole car would have gone up in flames. After further investigation, the motor is in perfect condition and could not detect any wiring/shorts. I have sent it back to Novak, and I am waiting for their response as to what might have caused the problem.

Last edited by svines1972; 08-04-2004 at 12:28 PM.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #22
Suspended

Default GEESH....

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW,THE ESC IS GETTING MORE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK THAN POSITIVE ONES....
Old 08-04-2004, 12:28 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Get something that has no motor limit.
svines1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #24
Suspended

Default YEP

YOU ARE RIGHT...THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK GUYS......PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED ON ANY OTHER ESC'S....
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Babylou
Default XRS

I have on as well that shuts off. Novak is saying it should not do this. Brand new out of the box. I bought this because of an article I read on it from one of the RC magazines which gave it a good review. I run a TC3 and an L3 (Oval) with a stock motor (Integy / monster stock) and after a min or 2 it stops.. then goes.. then stops.. etc... funny thing was I turned 30 laps with the XRS and this past week only turned 27 with a rooster... lol... must of been the driver error..

I'm sending mine in for repair... I only ran this in 3 races before I pulled it out... I moved things around to make sure no glitching from the receiver and even switched cars...

I'm interested to hear some feed back from others.. I run in a 5 min race and it usually stops 2-3 times during the race.. It is a nice speedo for size and power.. But ya can not have it glitch...
Babylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #26
Tech Master

Hey Guys, Sorry I missed this thread.

Well, we've seen a handful of XRSs that shut off during normal use. But not a lot. We've moved a ton of these, and I have spoken several happy customers using them in similar applications.

Now it is a sport reversible ESC, with 16 awg wire and tamiya connectors, so it's not really designed as a racing ESC. Some race motors and race "gearing" are bit aggressive and can use more power then basher 15 turn application. But you should still be able to run them with stock and 19 turn motors for the most part.

The F201 doesn't have a wide range of gearing, and most of the problems there are related to the motor being slightly overgeared. Also the drivetrain in that care is "Less then Free" unless you do a little work.

As for a Fried ESC.... well that can always happen, no matter what we do you will usually see or hear about an ESC that lets out the magic smoke. I could go on for hours about the variouse causes for that.

We can check the ESCs out to ensure your temp sensing is working 100% correctly, if you have a problem with an XRS, Send us an email explaining your exact application, (car, motor, Gear, Batt. Ect ect) and include a copy with the Service Form you'll get from our website. Usually we can get warranty stuff in and out of our department in 1-3 business days.

And as always, Feel free to contact us anytime, we're glad to help

Thanks
Charlie
Old 01-18-2005, 12:54 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Babylou
Default NOVAK

I will certainly comment that NOVAK has great customer support. All other ESC's that I have purchased have worked flawlessly.
1 Explorer II
2 Rooster esc
Babylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is there a heatsink you can get, or make work for this ESC?

Last edited by NVisible; 01-29-2005 at 09:28 AM.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote