R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-31-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Arrow ROBITRONIC Pro-Master II

I would like to hear from current & previous owners of ROBITRONIC Pro-Master II Dyno about the issue of power supply for this dyno. The manual reccomend Panasonic lead-acid battery with at least 17ah. I have heard that if you use anything other than the reccomended battery that you will get "false numbers" when dynoing. What is everyone using as power source? Has anyone made comparison on results with Panasonic & other batteries? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Henry E.
jeepnyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I would never buy robitronic products because of bad customer support.
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 03:12 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Go on..I am thinking about a dyno..fantom or the robitronic,If the Robitronic customer service is bad,please explain..
Oasis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, I can't comment on their customer support, because I've never needed it, but I've had my Robi for over 4 1/2 years, & it's run like a Swiss clock(that's a good thing, btw). As for the battery, I actually have a no-name one(I think CSB is the manufacturer, but not sure), & I've also had it as long as I've had the Robi, & it's also worked just fine. The main thing about the power supply is simply that you should not use one that can supply too many amps, or else you could risk damaging the dyno if you try to test a seriously strong motor & anything goes wrong. A 17Ah one is really all you need to run it, & it'll be able to do it all day on a charge(just use a low-amp maintanence charger to keep it topped off when you waren't using it, you can find them at most automotive shops for around $25US, & it'll automatically turn itself on & off to keep the battery in good shape).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 10:49 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
Well, I can't comment on their customer support, because I've never needed it, but I've had my Robi for over 4 1/2 years, & it's run like a Swiss clock(that's a good thing, btw). As for the battery, I actually have a no-name one(I think CSB is the manufacturer, but not sure), & I've also had it as long as I've had the Robi, & it's also worked just fine. The main thing about the power supply is simply that you should not use one that can supply too many amps, or else you could risk damaging the dyno if you try to test a seriously strong motor & anything goes wrong. A 17Ah one is really all you need to run it, & it'll be able to do it all day on a charge(just use a low-amp maintanence charger to keep it topped off when you waren't using it, you can find them at most automotive shops for around $25US, & it'll automatically turn itself on & off to keep the battery in good shape).....
So youre saying that something like a lawn mower battery will be just fine. Can you show some of your motor results that you have dynoed recently. I will appreciate it very much. That way I will have some numbers to go by. Thanx

Henry E.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:51 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by wothrottle
I would never buy robitronic products because of bad customer support.
What ROBI product do you have and what kind of problem did you have with it. Have you tried contacting them about it ? Please share us your experience. It will be very helpful to us if we need help from ROBI. Thanx

Henry E.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:08 AM   #7
Tech Adept

robitronic is the german distributor for kopropo products.I bought a ko helios transmitter set and one button didn´t work.All they said was,they can repair it as long as I pay all the shipping costs,cause they have no guarantee.In Germasny we have something called gewährleistung,very similar to a guarantee,but dictated from the law,so the have to repair everything on their own costs in the first 6 month,and in special cases in the first 24 month.You know a helios isn´t that cheap,i.e. 300 €.Finally they repaired it,but only after some hard discussions.
The biggest mistake the y made was how they talked to me.From my experience the u.s. manufacturers and dealers are very more customer orientated.Maybe the U.S. distributor is customer friendly,feel free to test it,but I´ll never buy robitronic again.
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:44 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jeepnyy
So youre saying that something like a lawn mower battery will be just fine. Can you show some of your motor results that you have dynoed recently. I will appreciate it very much. That way I will have some numbers to go by. Thanx

Henry E.
I wish I could, but unfortunately, I can't run the Windows version of the software on my laptop(long story, but needless to say my laptop is just too old & decrepid to do it right, though it runs the DOS version of it ok), & with the DOS version, there really is no easy way to take a screenshot & show you any results(there may be a way to do it, but I just don't know how). Plus, you have to remember that results will vary from one Robi to another, because of all the different possible batteries used, the slight variations from one dyno to another(this applies to pretty much ALL mass-produced devices), & the general conditions wherever you do a test. I can even see it when I test here in Oklahoma(my home state), or take a trip up to Wisconsin(for the Novak US TC Champs), up there, I always seem to get numbers just a bit higher than what I see here at home, & that's with the same motors, battery, everything, so really it may not be that much help to give you raw numbers from my Robi(& yes, this also applies to the Fantom or ANY other dyno). The best thing for ANY dyno really is to just start testing with a motor you know is good, & then you'll have a benchmark for that particular dyno that'll help you get a handle on any other motors you test on it......

Go Pokes!!!
Old 08-01-2004, 04:14 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

Hi,
I have a pro-master II & have used it for almost a year. No complaints, it works very well. You need a lead acid battery to supply the current necessary, in excess of 100 amps - a power supply can't provide that much current. You need to stick to something around 17a/h because anything smaller can't copy with the current either & anything much bigger could fry the dyno.
As far as support goes, I complained about the cost of the pc software & received a free liscence so that was good. I have also tried to obtain an infra red interface for my HP ir printer (which is supported by the dyno) but can't get it for love nor money.

I hope this helps.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I have one for a little more than 2 years and I have no complaints at all.
I power it with a lead acid car battery og 44Ah. I can make pulls till i get tired without charging the batt.

It comes with the DOS software ONLY. The Windows version cost an extra.

However the most recent Wondows version makes jagged curves.
I make the pulls with the DOS version and comparisons and printing on the more versatile Windows version.

Excellent product and can be used as a peak charger NiMh compatible and you can buy the temp probe for it.

Last edited by antoniop; 08-02-2004 at 05:04 AM.
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #11
Tech Addict

I recently purchased a WalMart lawn mower battery with 275 cranking power. I don't know it's Ah rating. Do you think that is enough? I also bought an automatic charger to charge it. What do you think ? Will I get the right number when I start dynoing ?
Thanx

Henry E.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
Super Moderator

It should be ok, though that battery could be overkill(just not sure). But I am fairly certain that it won't have any odd impact on the numbers, that only happens if the battery is getting low on power, the rest of the time the Robi controls how much voltage is going to the motor, so you'll get consistent results until the battery is running low & just can't supply it consistently anymore(& as long as you keep the charger on it all the time you're not using it, that shouldn't be a problem).....

Go Pokes!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:24 AM   #13
Tech Addict

I will play around with the walmart lawn mower battery for awhile and see what numbers will it produce and compare it with another. Thanx

Henry E.