Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best lathe for a novice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have both a cobra and hudy tech lathe. I do prefer the Hudy (obviously), but the cobra is unbeatable in price, imho. However, I would watch out for the alignment of the cobra lathe, since they often cut at a slight angle out of the box. You won't be able to notice it after a while, since all of your comms will be slightly angled. So, having a good digital micrometer (such as mitutoyo) will help just to set the alignment. If it's off, just fiddle around with one of the guides.

I'm indifferent between the diamond and carbide cuts. But, I don't think a beginner should be "afraid" of buying a diamond bit, just as long as he/she is confident that they can cut a comm. Those carbide bits wear way too quick. Having to run to the shop and sharpen them is such a cost in time.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Integy has sourced out a carbide bit that is good for 30 to 35 cuts. As most are only good for 5.

-Mike
Old 08-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

a good carbide will do easily 30 cuts as long as there is no chatter.the chatter is what breaks the tool down more than the cut.diamond does cut better than the carbide being that it is sharper but i would recomend starting with a carbide.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by =MisFitz= NuKe
Integy has sourced out a carbide bit that is good for 30 to 35 cuts. As most are only good for 5.

-Mike
I've had 2 integy carbide bits since last september. I cut about 3 comm's a week, One of them needs to be sharpened but the other is still going. If you use both bit edges and oil the comm before each pass they last ages.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All lathes except the big money Fantom Lathe can get knocked out of alignement. I have seen big money lathes cut coned comms. I have a Corbra that is awsome and Paul Wynn uses a Xipp (manual not auto) that also cuts awsome.

Pretty much all lathes cut good. Some are nicer looking than others...thats pretty much the main diffrence. If you buy what you like and your buget allows you cant go wrong.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have had a Cobra Lathe for approx 10 years or more with the one diamond cutting bit on it. I have never had to replace it and it cuts perfect every time. I cut approx 3 comms week and race successfully at national level in my country.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Regular

Hey. How can a diamond bit be damaged? What can I do to prevent it from happening? Thanks!
Old 08-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Aurra Sing
Hey. How can a diamond bit be damaged? What can I do to prevent it from happening? Thanks!

Well, if you go to far and hit the Tabs on the arm, obviously, then if you turn the depth wheel in too quickly it may break the tip, then if you have the height drastically off, and it is below center you may not mess the bit up, but it will sure cut poorly
Old 08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

actually,there is more to the lathes than just looks.if you have an eye for detail you will see the difference in the construction,and in the quality.yes they will all do a good job but you will get what you pay for