Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why so many "ancient" threads? >

Why so many "ancient" threads?

Why so many "ancient" threads?

Old 07-30-2004, 05:55 PM
  #1  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
donoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Daly City, CA
Posts: 264
Default Why so many "ancient" threads?

Why don't you guys just post specific questions about specific things, this way when people are searching they don't have to sift through thousands of replies to read "my battery dies when I short out the leads."

I have never been on a forum like this where one thread ie. "TC3 Discussion" has lived for 2 years. It doesn't make sense. If you have a subject to discuss, such as "TC3 suspension setup" then it makes more sense.

I know there is a search function, and I have used it. But posting a suspension question in "TC3 discussion" will yield one response and the question gets buried in the other BS, don't you think?

Just wondering why this forum is run this way. Most forums I attend have very specific titles and the threads die after 120 posts. The innane rambling is kept to a minimum to conserve bandwidth.

Then again, I'm new here, party on!!!
donoman is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 06:00 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

blah blah blah
JimmyMac is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 06:04 PM
  #3  
Tech Master
 
FW-05RR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,384
Default

whoa
FW-05RR is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 06:07 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (9)
 
losixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: omaha Ne
Posts: 299
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

cause id rather go to one thread and ask my question than looking for spefic threads
and it is the way it has been
losixxx is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 08:31 PM
  #5  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pa
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I like how it is run with the larger threads. On other forums, I have noticed a lot of useless threads that could have been easily answered in a vehicle thread, which would in turn make it easier to sort thru stuff. If you think about it, there is so much activity here, that if every person created a new thread for a specific thing, there would be hundreds of threads made each day.
rcguy2477 is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 08:50 PM
  #6  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,378
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

ditto!
Still Bill is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 09:19 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
 
Kenshin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 187
Default Re: Why so many "ancient" threads?

Originally posted by donoman
Why don't you guys just post specific questions about specific things, this way when people are searching they don't have to sift through thousands of replies to read "my battery dies when I short out the leads."

I have never been on a forum like this where one thread ie. "TC3 Discussion" has lived for 2 years. It doesn't make sense. If you have a subject to discuss, such as "TC3 suspension setup" then it makes more sense.

I know there is a search function, and I have used it. But posting a suspension question in "TC3 discussion" will yield one response and the question gets buried in the other BS, don't you think?

Just wondering why this forum is run this way. Most forums I attend have very specific titles and the threads die after 120 posts. The innane rambling is kept to a minimum to conserve bandwidth.

Then again, I'm new here, party on!!!
I agree w/ you, from now on go to http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...play.php?f=216 this is where guys like you party.
Kenshin is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 09:22 PM
  #8  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (15)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,378
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Why so many "ancient" threads?

Originally posted by Kenshin
I agree w/ you, from now on go to http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/foru...play.php?f=216 this is where guys like you party.
OK. I've been there and come back...quick...
Still Bill is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 09:31 PM
  #9  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (29)
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,455
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

There is a ton of very useful information on these so called huge threads. I have gone back many pages to re-read a few of them that I remember seeing info talked about that I needed right then and there. If you ask a question it is usually answered that same day so if you check back later on that day you'll find your answer. If you only visit the site once a week then that's where the searching comes in. Also...no other message board (that I know of) has as many factory driver's on it always helping out. Did your question not get answered on the thread that you asked it on?

Last edited by STLNLST; 07-30-2004 at 09:53 PM.
STLNLST is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 09:49 PM
  #10  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 110
Default

By far, this forum is where i learned the most and So many helpful guys answering the question, I rarely use search function here.
If you got question, it is answer in about an hour. If you have any question, just ASK
dragoneuh is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 10:01 PM
  #11  
Tech Regular
Thread Starter
 
donoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Daly City, CA
Posts: 264
Default

Don't get me wrong, this website is the best RC website out there.

I guess I'm used to auto and motorcycle forums where the questions are more general. "How does a steering damper work" etc.

For example, there is a Fukuyama batteries thread. In order to find out that there was a special sale going on this past week, you'd have to read all the pages. Instead, someone from Fukuyama could have posted a new thread that said "Special Promotion on Fukuyama batteries this week only" so that more people would see it.

Don't give me the "love it or leave it." I'm just asking a question.
donoman is offline  
Old 07-30-2004, 11:13 PM
  #12  
Tech Master
 
17driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mayville,Wi
Posts: 1,382
Default

Originally posted by STLNLST
There is a ton of very useful information on these so called huge threads. I have gone back many pages to re-read a few of them that I remember seeing info talked about that I needed right then and there. If you ask a question it is usually answered that same day so if you check back later on that day you'll find your answer. If you only visit the site once a week then that's where the searching comes in. Also...no other message board (that I know of) has as many factory driver's on it always helping out. Did your question not get answered on the thread that you asked it on?
Well said
17driver is offline  
Old 07-31-2004, 12:59 AM
  #13  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
utieh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: paris
Posts: 944
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

no one will blame you to ask a question for the 2nd or the 100th time on those "huge" vehicule threads
utieh is offline  
Old 07-31-2004, 01:11 AM
  #14  
R/C Tech Founder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Del Mar, CA, USA
Posts: 7,063
Default

No one should be ripping on you or directing you to another website for posting this. To those who did, stop. I hate the idea that this place is becoming unfriendly to new users who don't get something. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that post counts do not at all equate to knowledge.

As far as the big threads go, the site is actually not "run" like that at all. Those threads have just happened that way. You are free to post questions in other threads, and in 99% of the cases, you will get a good answer.

If you are looking for specific info, try the search function. Make sure to cehck the "Show Results as Posts" radio button so you can search within the big threads.
futureal is offline  
Old 07-31-2004, 01:12 AM
  #15  
R/C Tech Founder
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Del Mar, CA, USA
Posts: 7,063
Default

Originally posted by donoman
For example, there is a Fukuyama batteries thread. In order to find out that there was a special sale going on this past week, you'd have to read all the pages. Instead, someone from Fukuyama could have posted a new thread that said "Special Promotion on Fukuyama batteries this week only" so that more people would see it.
I should add that this kind of behavior is prohibited to prevent the forums from just becoming an advertising arena. We allow advertisers to have a single thread, but that's it. They can also pay for a Commercial Forum (scroll down on the main page) in which they could then have as many threads as they wanted to.
futureal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.