R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptek View Post
you mean the moost not smoothest speedo.

I have had several LRP's, GM's and now I have a Tekin RS Pro.

LRP is smoother than the GM but the GM is faster. The Tekin is as powerfull as the GM but you can adjust the setup much easyer and more reliable.
you can set the Tekin much smoother than the GM.
Just like the LRP but than with moore power.
Strange you say that, i thought the LRP had a very aggressive throttle response. Pretty much the reason i got rid of it.
The GM can be a bit tricky at first to set up but once you know it, its really not that difficult to get to grips with and the adjustablity has to make it one of the most tunable out there.
The amount of World and European championships the GM has won speaks for it self.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
Strange you say that, i thought the LRP had a very aggressive throttle response. Pretty much the reason i got rid of it.
The GM can be a bit tricky at first to set up but once you know it, its really not that difficult to get to grips with and the adjustablity has to make it one of the most tunable out there.
The amount of World and European championships the GM has won speaks for it self.
I don't get it right. I don't now why bud I never got it work for me. I was still fast with it bud never liked the feel.
For me it has to much tuning options.
I like the LRP and the Tekin.
I love the feel of the 2 speedo's. the GM gave me a lot of first places bud so do the Tekin and the LRP.
the difference in speed is so small that it doesn't matter what speedo you have. ad the ETS is LRP wining a lot. ad my home track now Tekin because I drive with it. As I use one of the other speedo's than they win.
Ad other tracks I race against LRP and GM and than it is close.
I think that each speedo has his feeling and that you can like it or not.

the biggest difference is the motor. As I compare the Tekin and the SPv3. Than is the Tekin motor much smoother. that difference is bigger than the speedo difference.
toptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toptek View Post
2 of the 3 BD drivers sold there BD. 1 bought a LRP and the other a Tekin.

They loved the feel and it is easy to setup. Bud the problem was that they couldn't change the amount of power.

I will ask the last BD driver iff I may drive it.

Personally I would never pay so much monney for a speedo. The feel may be great but it is not faster than the other speedo's.
If you go back to the first post the question was asked for 10.5 and 13.5. The BD has plenty of power in those classes. In 17.5 or on very large tracks it can't match the top end of tekin and HW, but the USB link is nearly out. In mod TC it the power is
Old 12-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
I don't know how valid my opinion is but here goes

I had the Tekin back when it was firmware 180 and it was good then but outpowered by the SPX. Its incredibly fast now, small, light, runs cool, great service, its a brilliant company, respect to them for developing a brilliant speedo

But whatever happens I always go back to my GM, spent a lot of time learning this esc, ver 4.8 till now fw13 it is just keeps getting better and better, sublime.

This speedo has rpm controlled timing, 1 ramp or 2 ramps, or intelligent high speed timing, or timing controlled by the driver with the stick (variable dependent timing - incredible), turbo (concept invented by ralf helbing at GM) drive frequency, three different types of brake sotware (choose the feel for you or your motor), telemetry and programmable temp shutdowns independent for motor and esc. You can read out current drawn, max rpm, temp motor, temp speedo. If you thermal at 4:30 for example you can set the current to a pre set amount so that you can finish the race at reduced power. And because of the telemetry you really learn the character of the motors you are using, and program that into you setting to take full advantage of your motors' capabilities as different brands have different tolerance to temps. GM120 runs mod and Delta winds awesome so I need just the one controller which is great.

Technically this is an amazing speedo, and it is years ahead in its technology. Their only problem in the past has been getting their ambitious plans to work, and I think with fw13 they have realised some of that potential.

The BD might be one to keep an eye on though. From what I understand, it is designed as a side project by Swedish satellite engineers. This speedo monitors many aspects of the motors performance, back EMF etc in order to calculate the exact amount of timing and power that can be applied efficiently and as such is a completely intelligent esc which is why it is so simple to program, and why drivers say its butter smooth like no other. They are working on a user updateable version so watch out for developments.

At the end of the day the only people who really know what is going are are the people who design these things, end users like myself are just...well, giving end user opinions.

So just an opinion. Just my 2c. Each to their own. Go with whatever works for you. The best driver usually wins no matter
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:52 PM   #35
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Also its got 9 memories (or 10?) so once you have found the sweet spot you can just save to that memory and return to it when you use that motor, and you can save to your PC, send the settings to someone else via email or whatever, they can download the file and upload the setting straight into the esc
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
If you go back to the first post the question was asked for 10.5 and 13.5. The BD has plenty of power in those classes. In 17.5 or on very large tracks it can't match the top end of tekin and HW, but the USB link is nearly out. In mod TC it the power is
It has plenty in 17.5 too.... People just don't accept where it.is.strong and where it is weak and then setup the motor/gearing all wrong. Down at CC on the rug a BD with a Tekin 21.5 dead set made everything else look like a 540.