R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Schumacher Mi2 Gearing question

Hi All,

I had a quick question, I searched through the forums and found way too much to sort through effectively so I wanted to ask about the gearing in a Mi2. If there is a good thread on this subject let me know! I'm new to onroad, but long time RC driver. I have no local track, so no one to ask. I have the setup as follows right now, and wasn't sure what the best would be.

Novak Havok w/ 17.5T Ballistic
2s Lipo
I'm running 31/84 (48P) Right now, and I have a bunch of pinions, but I just have nothing to compare to. performance wise. I'm usually running it in parking lots with cones, etc. Not looking for the best winning setup, just the most efficent. I had a Castle 5700kV in it, and speed was great, but the sensored setup is obviously the only way to go with onroad. I'm thinking of getting a 13T motor, but wasn't sure... Wish we had a track in Monterey, CA to race on, but this will do. Any thoughts?? Thanks much for your time!

Cheers,
Rob
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yeaaaahhhh.....lived in Monterey for a year Rob.....can't feel to sorry for ya !!
Check out the regional forum here on rctech....I thought there was a club or something racing in Salinas.

Maybe this will help. www.gearchart.com.

Notice that the internal gear ratio changes when you change the stock center pulley. From looking at the manual, it appears you can change it from a 17t to a 20t.
I would consider changing to 64p spur and pinion if you haven't already done so. It'll make things a bit easier when you try to get proper gearing for that 17.5.
I can tell you this.....on a smaller track of 40x70 feet or so....we were running about a 5.0 final drive ratio. On bigger tracks of approx 60x100 we had to gear down to 4.0-4.2 range. Depending on track layout and size....maybe even into the 3's. As always...the other thing to meter is motor temp. Keep an eye on it and if it's up there in the 160+ range....you're most likely geared wrong. After a 5 minute race on our small track....motor temps were rarely above 125f. Hope that helps.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Yeaaaahhhh.....lived in Monterey for a year Rob.....can't feel to sorry for ya !!
Check out the regional forum here on rctech....I thought there was a club or something racing in Salinas.

Notice that the internal gear ratio changes when you change the stock center pulley. From looking at the manual, it appears you can change it from a 17t to a 20t.
I would consider changing to 64p spur and pinion if you haven't already done so. It'll make things a bit easier when you try to get proper gearing for that 17.5.
I can tell you this.....on a smaller track of 40x70 feet or so....we were running about a 5.0 final drive ratio. On bigger tracks of approx 60x100 we had to gear down to 4.0-4.2 range. Depending on track layout and size....maybe even into the 3's. As always...the other thing to meter is motor temp. Keep an eye on it and if it's up there in the 160+ range....you're most likely geared wrong. After a 5 minute race on our small track....motor temps were rarely above 125f. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the reply! Def hard to live here!! I need to check on the regonial stuff, I do some crawling with some locals. Thanks for the info. I'm only running the 48P as I had some compatible spurs. it had a 100 and some tooth 64P when I got it. I'll dig through the info there and see what I need to order. I just have every 10T-32T pinion in 48P. gotta bite the bullet on that one. The 64 will probably be smoother too. I think I have the 17T pully, as the rig is mostly stock. I just converted it over to the European asphalt edition instead of the US Foam setup it had when I bought it. Just some shims and springs...

The motor temps with the current setup are nice and cool, under 125F after running a 5000mah lipo to cut off.

Have a great holiday!

Cheers,

Rob

Oh and also, does selecting the Shumacher car on gearchart.com assume a 64P setup? I'm thinking the ratio would be the same either way, but just checking.
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The internal gear ratio isn't based on 64 or 48p. Only based on supplied gearing for diffs and layshaft. If you change any of them (like the 17 or 20t center pulley)....then you affect the internal ratio. Assuming you have the 17t, your present Final Drive Ratio should be a 5.7. Not to bad depending on where and how you're driving it but look for things to change when you find a track. The MI2 is a great car.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote