Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Keven Hebert, TeamAssociated / Reedy / ApexRC

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello from Spain Keven:
just mount the differential gears in my TC6 .... regarding the oil for the differential gear, which you recommend for a circuit through some 220 meters, asphalt surface, and a low average grip ....
would be a modified race ....

receives a greeting

Merry Christmas to all

Juan Carlos
Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Keven, we most run on low-med traction parkinglot tracks here, and so far the TC6 has proven to be leaps and bounds better than the TC5 on this surface. My first race out I was running the box-stock setup w/Jaco Blues and the P37 body, and the car was fine everywhere around the track except for high-speed turns. The rear end kept skipping out and then snapping back in line on me (my TC5 was horrible in this regard). I removed both the front and rear swaybars, and the problem went away. Now my problem seems to be turn-in. On my TC5 I always ran a front diff since to me a spool seems to push too much to my liking on corner entry. However, I love the punch out of the turns that I'm getting with the slipper spool. My question is- if I ran a gear diff in the front, would I gain back the turn-in of a front ball diff, but keep the punch out of the turns that a slipper spool has? What range of oil weights should I start with if I switched to the gear diff? Right now the car handles great except for that slight off-power push at corner entry.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Kevin- Some guys are going with the Yokon=mo gear diff instead of the Spec R. Is this something you have tested or plan on testing?
Hi, the yokomo doff is a better quality diff. The reason why I was running the spec r is because this is what I had at the moment. The only downside with the yokomo is that the bone bottoms out so you need to make the car slightly wider in the rear.

Originally Posted by Scott B
And what exactly do you like on your Chipotle Burrito?? I hear the Guac is good for a couple of tenths?? LOL

I plan to go the the Reedy next year so I can hook you guys up with Burrito bucks again, like i did at the Nats.
Hi Scott, that would be fantastic I like chicken the best ! I wont go crazy with the salsa if I have it more than 5 times that week ! usualy mild or medium haha

Originally Posted by King of B Main
Hey Kevin,

I'm planning to start running mod at Westcoast raceway and just had a few questions.

1) What motor size do you recommend to run?
2) Do you remember your speedo settings you were running?
3) Also do you remember your gearing?
Hi,

1- I would start with a 5.0 and that should be all you need.
2- Esc setting I ran 2-4-3-3 last time I went but I was running a Sxx tc spec older version ! now on a version 2 I would start with 0-4-6-4
3 Gearing I ran a 8.4 with the 5.0 octa wind.

Originally Posted by rccuba
Hello from Spain Keven:
just mount the differential gears in my TC6 .... regarding the oil for the differential gear, which you recommend for a circuit through some 220 meters, asphalt surface, and a low average grip ....
would be a modified race ....

receives a greeting

Merry Christmas to all

Juan Carlos
On asphalt I usualy like a thinner fluid ! I would not go any heavier than 1000 CST ! I would probably start with 60wt shock oil and go from there.

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Keven, we most run on low-med traction parkinglot tracks here, and so far the TC6 has proven to be leaps and bounds better than the TC5 on this surface. My first race out I was running the box-stock setup w/Jaco Blues and the P37 body, and the car was fine everywhere around the track except for high-speed turns. The rear end kept skipping out and then snapping back in line on me (my TC5 was horrible in this regard). I removed both the front and rear swaybars, and the problem went away. Now my problem seems to be turn-in. On my TC5 I always ran a front diff since to me a spool seems to push too much to my liking on corner entry. However, I love the punch out of the turns that I'm getting with the slipper spool. My question is- if I ran a gear diff in the front, would I gain back the turn-in of a front ball diff, but keep the punch out of the turns that a slipper spool has? What range of oil weights should I start with if I switched to the gear diff? Right now the car handles great except for that slight off-power push at corner entry.
Hi,

a gear diff in the front will do that ! will help you a little bit going in but wont finish as strong. I would start somewhere around 300 000K and see if you need more or less. Right now the one thing you could do to help with turn in is moving the battery back and add more rear droop and less front.

Hope this helps
Old 12-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Thumbs up Canadian onroad Nationals

Hi Keven
just thought I'd throw a plug here for a big race coming mid Jan in Welland Ontario Canada .are you busy that weekend ,would you consider coming down to race with some of the best drivers in southern ontario and surrounding area .

http://home.cogeco.ca/~canadianonroadnationals/

check it out ,it would be a blast to have you there man .
cheers
Matt Roosevelt aka blackdog
Old 12-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Keven H
Hi, the yokomo doff is a better quality diff. The reason why I was running the spec r is because this is what I had at the moment. The only downside with the yokomo is that the bone bottoms out so you need to make the car slightly wider in the rear.
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Keven thanks for the info ... if it does not rain here today in this part of Spain where I live (takes a week raining )............ I'll go to the track to test the differential gears in the rear, I start to experiment with oil shocks of 55 .....
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by blackdog
Hi Keven
just thought I'd throw a plug here for a big race coming mid Jan in Welland Ontario Canada .are you busy that weekend ,would you consider coming down to race with some of the best drivers in southern ontario and surrounding area .

http://home.cogeco.ca/~canadianonroadnationals/

check it out ,it would be a blast to have you there man .
cheers
Matt Roosevelt aka blackdog

Hi Matt,

Yes I heard good things about the race. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it since I will be out of town that week and I have a race the weekd end before and the week end after ! Wish I could have make it.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 AM
F-1
Tech Regular

Hello Keven!
What is the difference in running between X-12 octa wind and x-12 std version?
Thank you!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Keven,
A bit confused about the LRP SXX Stock Spec versions vs. other LRP speed control options, and what to buy if I wanted to run both boosted stock and Modified in the future.

Where can you purchase an MK4 version of the SXX Stock Spec, or is it a version you have to send in the MK3 to Team Associated for the update?

Also, does the SXX Competition V.2 or the TC v.2 have the same turbo/boost profiles of the SXX Stock Spec, as I would love to have one ESC that could run boosted stock Touring as well as Modified Touring if desired. Maybe the SXX Stock Spec V.2 will be the ticket for this, and if so, do you know when it will be released?

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

KEvin, When we going to see you in Ottawa to race some offroad?? Pace was up last wed..
Old 12-26-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by F-1
Hello Keven!
What is the difference in running between X-12 octa wind and x-12 std version?
Thank you!
Hi, the octawind motor has more rpm and is smoother on the bottom ! I pretty much always run Octa wind in a touring car and regular in 1/12.

Originally Posted by Apple Guy
Hi Keven,
A bit confused about the LRP SXX Stock Spec versions vs. other LRP speed control options, and what to buy if I wanted to run both boosted stock and Modified in the future.

Where can you purchase an MK4 version of the SXX Stock Spec, or is it a version you have to send in the MK3 to Team Associated for the update?

Also, does the SXX Competition V.2 or the TC v.2 have the same turbo/boost profiles of the SXX Stock Spec, as I would love to have one ESC that could run boosted stock Touring as well as Modified Touring if desired. Maybe the SXX Stock Spec V.2 will be the ticket for this, and if so, do you know when it will be released?

Thanks for the help!
Hi, The best way to run both with the same esc right now is to run the Stock spec for both application. The new MK4 will be released soon but once it is out I am pretty sure you will be able to send your older one back to associated to have them updated. The reason why you cant do it yourselft now is that the ESC has to be made updatable before you can do so. Then once it is updatable you can update it yourself if further updates are out.

I have not tried the new mk4 with mod motors so I would have to get back on that to make sure but we ran the older stock spec in modified with no problem.

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
KEvin, When we going to see you in Ottawa to race some offroad?? Pace was up last wed..
Hi Joel, good to hear from you. I heard about the track. I actualy went to st-polycarpe last week I had not touch an electric car in over a year and only race twice in the last 3 years so it was fun to take some rust out I would like to go but with the schedule with the next few months will be difficult.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

What brand pinion and spur gears are you using in 64p?
Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Congratulation

Félicitation pour ton nouveau contrat Keven !

J'espere que tu trouveras le temps de venir courser à Ottawa sur notre nouvelle track !!

http://rcinsider.com/?p=5095
Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Congrats kevin awesome run
Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Keven congratulations .... for your renewal of contract with the brands that you represent, Team Associated, Reedy and LRP ...

Congratulations ..... two years now to make war on the other teams ...

if you come for Spain to a race, has a support group for this land .......

greetings

Juan Carlos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.