R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Setup for tweaked ta05 tub

Hello and thanks for checking in. How do I go about setting up my ta05? Bottom of the tub seems very uneven and I don't know how to go about setting up droop and ride height. How do I compensate for the tub tweak, to get the car to track straight and handle evenly? All I found from searching was compensating with droop, but since the tub is tweaked so badly, I dont know if my droop gauge and blocks will be effective? Thanks in advance.
TubOLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

When I had a TA05, I just used to set it up normally with even droop on each side, and using the "knife trick" to set tweak.

Although some of the settings looked a bit wonky, the car handled well and I never had any issues with straight line running.

I prefer a flat plate chassis for touring now. A little more confidence-inspiring on the settings.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It would be much better if you bought a new chassis. The carbon composite upgrade from tamiya was really good and not overly exspensive.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Tech Elite

if your on a really tight budget, maybe try gently warm the chassis up with heat gun, i wouldnt think you would have to disassemble the car to do this, and twist the car with your hands at each end of the car, cross checking it with a straight edge/ruler and a dead flat surface i.e setup board until its right. double check it once its cooled off as it may creep back a little.

cheers

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2 View Post
It would be much better if you bought a new chassis. The carbon composite upgrade from tamiya was really good and not overly exspensive.
+1.

I got the carbon chassis for my V2 and it made a very noticeable improvement in the overall handling of the car. It used to have a mind of it's own at times but now, it's very stable and predictable.

If you have to stick with your tweaked chassis, you can adjust the suspension to compensate but you really need a tweak board to do it. Just set ride height the best you can and then put the car on the tweak board and adjust accordingly. Then put the car on a flat surface and adjust droop by lifting the front or back of the car off the ground from the exact center of the car (I think this may be the knife trick mentioned above) and measure the difference between ride height and where the tires are touching the ground but not supporting any weight. This is your droop. Also make sure that both wheels leave the ground at the same time.

I found with my old chassis that you could get everything set just right and after a few runs and encounters with the boards that everything would change. With the new carbon chassis, it stays where you put it. Money well spent!
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does tamiya make a version of the V1 chassis with glass fiber reinforcement only? (As opposed to carbon fiber reinforced or the resin only stock chassis')

I used to own one with what seemed to be a reinforced tub (bought the car used) but not as strong as CF reinforced plastics. It was not straight, wont lay flat sideways or lenghtwise, kind of twisted front to rear and sagging in the middle.

Even when setup is compensated by droop, it was oversteering one way and understeers/grips the other direction in turns.

I thought about getting a new CF tub but reading somewhere else on rctech some users were saying the tweak is still there when new (opposite from replies above).

The settings also changed after every run, very frustrating that I got rid of the car altogether.

The problem was less apparent on asphalt though.
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote