R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2010, 09:37 AM   #31
Tech Adept

I am not putting out investing into a soldering iron just to start out I am going to stick with baby steps. I will just have to pay attention when I am working with the battery and ESC hook ups.

Odd question though.... I hear about people saying that the sprint 2 sport is heavy in the butt and to add weight in the front. Where do I find or look for thin stick on weights?

Thanks again guys proves over and over that this is a great community of people helping people.
Dill004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Your local hobby shop can do it for $5 bux?

You aint messin wit my dougie..
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Instant meltdown of a speed control because I made one mistake......It happens. I used the adapters on race day because of the ease. Your LHS (local hobby store), should do it. Or if you have a local track, ask one of the veterans to solder it for you. Most guys run deans,so if you borrow or swap out something, deans' is what you will be seeing.

It can only be plugged in one way, impossible to screw it up. If your on a budget to begin with, sending of a ESC for repair is gonna cost ya. Ive found many of the mistake's ive made already, is because I rushed things. Or just tried to avoid an expense. This hobby is expensive, and there is a ton to learn. Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something youve never done will make you better, as a racer, hobbiest, and all around handyman.

My mistake was not only the ESC but the Motor as well, getting a refurbished motor,and esc, plus shipping and handling, plus three weeks there and back. was more than 80 bucks. Ive tried not to keep track of what ive spent.
hnasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help guys and I am not trying to avoid an expence and I know the hobby is expencive(3Nitro MTS and plenty of fixins). I have done the reading and know that most everyone prefers the deans. I am just looking to get the car going and see how everything works and seeing the world of onroad in the atlanta area.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #35
Regional Moderator

Better to penny wise than pound foolish. Ask someone (or the LHS) to solder a Deans connector on your ESC. Or pay the $5 or $10. It'll pay for itself. Or just break down and buy a cheap 40 watt Weller iron and do it yourself. You'll need an iron at some point anyway.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Yeah I watched the video on youtube about soldering deans and it seemed pretty easy just started seeing that irons were running near the 100's and didnt know if a cheapy would do it. I am about to post if anyone can help me in the ga area in the ga section.

Thanks again guys I love all the help and advice.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dill004 View Post
Yeah I watched the video on youtube about soldering deans and it seemed pretty easy just started seeing that irons were running near the 100's and didnt know if a cheapy would do it. I am about to post if anyone can help me in the ga area in the ga section.

Thanks again guys I love all the help and advice.
My 12 buck radio shack gun works just fine.
Soldering Deans as well as Brushless Motor Leads.

Soldering isn't all that hard, but does require practice and patience.
PhotoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The cheapy Weller, i got at lowe's did the trick. As for trying to build a 4 cell battery.....it wont work. Poof! Just happened tonight. Damn.
hnasdad is offline   Reply With Quote