Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What is the greatest/most significant r/c electric car in the last 25 years? >

What is the greatest/most significant r/c electric car in the last 25 years?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the greatest/most significant r/c electric car in the last 25 years?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default What is the greatest/most significant r/c electric car in the last 25 years?

You've read the thread title boys, now put your mind to work. What is the car that you think really made an impact on the scene. It doesn't necessarily have to be the best of it's type, but it does have to have that certain 'something' that sets it apart.

Oh and give us reasons why too. Justify your choice, why is it so good?

I'll start the ball rolling with one.

Tamiya M03 Mini (OK, no surprises here..)

Why?

* It's been in continuous production since 1998.
* Was so different it created it's own racing class.
* Is STILL competitive today against cars costing twice as much.
* Can be used on a variety of surfaces
* Almost unbreakable!

Next nomination please!

Last edited by tony gray; 12-21-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

I knew your answer as soon as I saw the thread title!

My vote (from the last 25 years) would go to the Tamiya Skyline #58099. Probably the car that created touring car racing as we know it today.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TC3...hands down..
Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

My answer may have been obvious - but I also have good justification for my choice.
I was also close to nominating your choice as well..

I also have a second nomination

Tech Racing MY02 Touring Car

* It was the car that became the TRF415
* Virtually every Elec Touring Car now shares the same basic design premise.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
TC3...hands down..
+1 for sure
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Being the last 25 years, wouldnt the most influential car be the original king of RC either the Tamiya Hornet or Tamiya Frog (or its variants) I Bet EVERY long term racer has had one or both of these.

Cheap, reliable fun.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Tech Regular

I have to say RC10 (the older aluminum tub version). This car is being run everywhere and have so much different companies makes different conversion for it to make it into almost any electric rc possible.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

I am surprised no one mentionned the original RC10 yet. Is it because of the 25 year time frame ? Anyway the first steath transmission appeared in the last 25 years so that should count ! Because since then not much has been invented in 2wd Offroad. Apart from longer arms, maybe the biggest change in architecture since the Stealth RC10 is angled steering bellcranks in an attempt to get rid of bump steer , that tells you ( well, me at least) how ahead of its time it was.

The clues that this is truly the greatest RC in history :

Th brand has the most World titles- I believe

The car has its own wikipedia

The car basically has its own forum (rc10talk)

There are so many aftermarket parts for the rc10 that you could build 10 of them , all different, and yet NOT USE A SINGLE AE PART OR SCREW ON ANY OF THEM. How crazy is that ?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com
I have to say RC10 (the older aluminum tub version). This car is being run everywhere and have so much different companies makes different conversion for it to make it into almost any electric rc possible.
great minds think alike, hu-hu-hu

Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Being the last 25 years, wouldnt the most influential car be the original king of RC either the Tamiya Hornet or Tamiya Frog (or its variants) I Bet EVERY long term racer has had one or both of these.

Cheap, reliable fun.
Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com
The frog, hornet and RC10 were all released more than 25 years ago... all were significant (I would give the nod to the Rough Rider as Tamiya's most significant 2wd buggy), but outside the realm of this question!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
TC3...hands down..
Sure it is very important in RC history, just not #1 in my opinion.

I sometimes like to remind people, though, that the first HPI pro4 prototypes and the corally assassin prototypes used tc3 suspension parts, so in terms of suspension geometry the car sure had a great influence over the last 10 years.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Default HMMMMM....

I think that the RC10, Tamiya Frog, and the Hornet are all over 25 years old.

In my humble opinion it is the Schumacher CAT. Not for the fact that it has won the most - only 1 IFMAR title in the hands of the young Masami - though it has won loads of british and european titles.

It's because of how it changed our way of thinking of what is possible and can be done with an RC car. It was such a leap forward over everything else available at the time - in the same way that the Audi Quattro was to rallying.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tony gray
Oh and give us reasons why too. Justify your choice, why is it so good?

Tamiya M03 Mini

You make good points, but I wonder why you didn't choose the M01 original mini cooper from Tamiya ? After all, it was the car that started the front driven Mini trend that has last until nowadays. The M03 is obviously a completely different car , but as its name says it, just an improvement of the original M01 concept. So, to me the logical choice would have been the M01.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Lohan
I think that the RC10, Tamiya Frog, and the Hornet are all over 25 years old.

In my humble opinion it is the Schumacher CAT. Not for the fact that it has won the most - only 1 IFMAR title in the hands of the young Masami - though it has won loads of british and european titles.

It's because of how it changed our way of thinking of what is possible and can be done with an RC car. It was such a leap forward over everything else available at the time - in the same way that the Audi Quattro was to rallying.
Ya, I just check the AE website the first Win for the original gold tub RC10 was back in 1984..... 26years ago.... Man, it seems like few years ago when I race my gold tub, then team car, B2....... OMG I am getting old. LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
I knew your answer as soon as I saw the thread title!

My vote (from the last 25 years) would go to the Tamiya Skyline #58099. Probably the car that created touring car racing as we know it today.

Since the frog, hornet and rc10 are all too old. (I had all of them means I am very old too. ) I would say the TA01 too. Since this thing started the touring car class as their was not even such class yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.