R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to t4_driver
Default New to on road

I am looking at getting into 1/10th touring cars. I've been looking at the Exceed RC champion using a Hobbywing 6000KV brushless motor with several hop ups to make it a bit more durable. Is this set up worth the $200 or so that I'm looking at spending to get it ready to run
t4_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

While I really like my hobbywing 35a/3300 kv system, and bet other hobbywing systems will be good too; I think a used tc3/4/5 or xray t2 series (or similar old racing oriented cars) would be a better car and more supported.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

I have a 4300kv in my SC10 and it smokes. nitrorcx has it would appear everything for the exceed rc car, so I'm not horribly worried about getting parts. My biggest thing is will it be competitive with more well known well endorsed trucks
Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4_driver View Post
My biggest thing is will it be competitive with more well known well endorsed trucks
Trucks???

Do you plan on bashing or racing? If bashing, go nuts. If racing, make sure that the motor you're planning on getting is legal. A 6000Kv motor isn't legal for anything other than modified at most tracks. I wouldn't recommend modified to anyone just starting out in on-road. Again, check the tracks you plan on racing at what motors are legal.

You'd still be better off getting a used major brand chassis simply for setup help than a chassis that almost nobody runs.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

With a 6000KV setup - I would make sure the car you get will have parts available when you need it. Drivetrain parts and suspension parts, come to mind. Not being to run (due to no parts available) is no fun.

I have a JL10E, and so far it has withstood my Castle 5700KV setup along with it's fair share of visits to the track barrier. The lowest price I've seen it is $114 over @ A-main. If you couple that up with a 2.4Ghz radio from Airtronics or Futaba for $99 - you should have a fairly reliable setup.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

the track I'll be running at the 6000kv is in the modified class.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavant View Post
With a 6000KV setup - I would make sure the car you get will have parts available when you need it. Drivetrain parts and suspension parts, come to mind. Not being to run (due to no parts available) is no fun.

I have a JL10E, and so far it has withstood my Castle 5700KV setup along with it's fair share of visits to the track barrier. The lowest price I've seen it is $114 over @ A-main. If you couple that up with a 2.4Ghz radio from Airtronics or Futaba for $99 - you should have a fairly reliable setup.
I have already have a tactics 2.4 ghz radio so I'll just be throwing in another receiver to the car. When I get a new vehicle I always make sure to have a ton of spare parts lying around, but I never thought about drive train parts, I would have thought a arms and steering setups, but thanks for the info
Old 12-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im sure the modified guys at your track will be pleased that you chose the fastest group for you to learn on-road in . Why not start in a stock class where you can learn the in's and out's of on-road and then move into the faster group.

That would be the logical route.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerjetta29 View Post
Im sure the modified guys at your track will be pleased that you chose the fastest group for you to learn on-road in . Why not start in a stock class where you can learn the in's and out's of on-road and then move into the faster group.

That would be the logical route.

Mostly because I've been racing off road both stadium trucks and short course for years now, I know there is a ton of difference in handling, but every on road touring car I've ever touched handled 100 times better than even the best short course truck
Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to encore75

Quote:
I have a 4300kv in my SC10 and it smokes. nitrorcx has it would appear everything for the exceed rc car, so I'm not horribly worried about getting parts. My biggest thing is will it be competitive with more well known well endorsed trucks
I'm assuming you meant "cars" instead of "trucks," and if you'll be racing mod with that thing, the answer to your biggest concern is "no."

I don't know what the mod guys in your area run, but generally speaking elsewhere, they tend to have higher-end equipment, since they've graduated up from the stock/intermediate classes and usually move on to better gear to match their improved skill and experience.

But if you can make your $85 car work as great as the $500 Xrays, Tamiyas, and such, having not ever raced on-road before, then you sir, reek of awesomeness. (Either that, or the mod drivers in your area suck monkey gonads. )

But seriously, this is a car that you might be able to get away with in stock or VTA (with an appropriate motor, of course), but you'll likely struggle with it in mod. It really is a "you get what you pay for" kinda proposition in this case. Although, at $85 for the car, you could buy 2 or three to have for your extra spares, because you sure aren't going to find parts on the wall of your LHS.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Mostly because I've been racing off road both stadium trucks and short course for years now, I know there is a ton of difference in handling, but every on road touring car I've ever touched handled 100 times better than even the best short course truck
Off road and On road are two completely different skill sets. Your used to sliding into a corner powering out, getting a rhythm over jumps... none of which are at all useful in on road.

Yes, you must be the exception to the rule. The car handles better therefore you will be able to just jump into it and be running up front! Just remember that when people are complaining about you getting in their way.

I can tell by the level of equipment you are looking to run that unless you have the most miraculous driving skills I have ever seen you will be the moving chicane on track.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I look foward to hearing the rest of the story. I have to agree with the forum. These things are crazy fast, even in the 17.5 range. I would think starting out in the lower class, and moving your way up would be the way to go.

Being the only car, with no setup help is gonna hurt ya.
hnasdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

I have a 4300kv in my SC10
benlin910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

just start at a lower class u need a good car to race mod like xray trf ae hb serpent etc