R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Velcro Body mounts, a how to on my TA05v2 Gallardo

Some bodies are too pretty too drill holes in...

I used balsa wood because it is light, and keep cutting body posts until I have the ride height I want. Then drill the balsa wood. This will act as base for he velcro mount. Use a rotary sander to sand down the body posts for a flat surface.

Apply hook and loop velco, make sure it is secure.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/__OT3YJ9o9Ao/TQ...0/IMG_1580.JPG

All done

Done product. No body posts for a clean look. The velcro is so strong you can pick the car up by it.

Got a 60a 6000kv system coming for this sucker this week. Also HPI X-Patterns. Hope you guys enjoy. Body posts are a pain in the ass. This requires no body pins being lost, and is strong as hell. All you have to do is align the body with the wheels/chassis when you remount it.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

would be cool for racing, except you know the second you bang the boards, your body will be all konkywompus.
but thats a great ideal for a driveway cruiser or probably a drift car
monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkee View Post
would be cool for racing, except you know the second you bang the boards, your body will be all konkywompus.
but thats a great ideal for a driveway cruiser or probably a drift car
I beg to differ, The body cannot be shifted left or right. In fact the only way to get the body off is to grab both the chassis and the body and pull opposite directions. You'd be surprised what a decent amount of velcro can do.

I do understand your concern but no way on this car.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

youve never seen me drive then.
monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

did you know that ABC hobby from japan makes a stealth body mounts? i just bought them for my 1/10 knight rider. the body is just too nice to drill, and i used those mounts, the desing is very clever. it is actually a tight swivelling pad which you place double sided tape on, each 4 corners, then you position the body properly on them. once they stick, if you want to remove the body just yank on them hard and the hooks will come off from the mounts, and the pad with the tape still sticks to the body. to place them back, align the hooks and press in. though i wouldnt use this for racing, for my drift car, it adds scale realism and really worth it !
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post
did you know that ABC hobby from japan makes a stealth body mounts? i just bought them for my 1/10 knight rider. the body is just too nice to drill, and i used those mounts, the desing is very clever. it is actually a tight swivelling pad which you place double sided tape on, each 4 corners, then you position the body properly on them. once they stick, if you want to remove the body just yank on them hard and the hooks will come off from the mounts, and the pad with the tape still sticks to the body. to place them back, align the hooks and press in. though i wouldnt use this for racing, for my drift car, it adds scale realism and really worth it !
They're absolutely horrible you'll eventually find out. I have them on my unimog. It used to take 5 minutes just to get everything lined up so it'd click together and then the body would fall off just driving around on flat surfaces.

Wanna know how to make them work? Wrap them in 'female' velcro', remove the swiveling pivot balls and mounts and put the male velcro on the body. Now I can pick it up by the body and it never moves

Sorry to say but those are some of the worst products I've bought in RC ever. Only good for shelf queens.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

well ok, i just mounted them on and tried them, they seem ok, however i dont plan to race my car while other cars a are around and also i am mostly doing drift with this car, so i guess it wont strain the mounts a lot. i didnt hit anything last night so it held up fine.
alcyon is offline   Reply With Quote