R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #91
Tech Regular

Default Re RDX TC

Hi Electro-MAX RC,

The chassis is the stock 3 mm chassis.
For me it's rigid enough.

I use the futaba mc 800, it's not the smallest but for me it's working very well. Most of the newer electronics will fit, especially the more "racing" electronics like the new futaba mc 800 v2 or the Nosram/ LRP and Novak.

The handling of the car is very well. It's more suitable for modifeid engines compared to the Assasin. This due the new more rigid chassis.
The car is very well balanced, and together with it's ultra narrow design highspeed cornering is more easy than with the Assasin.
I haven't raced the car yet with a 19T spec engine, but I am sure it will be great.

The capacitor sticking out of the receiver was an experiment.
I wanted to see if the capacitor will also work this way.
This way the capacitor will regulate the energy provided by the batteries more directly, because when it's attached to the engine the batteries have already given their power.

I will post a full building and race report when I have some more time.

For now be patiened and have fun
840918001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #92
Tech Elite

So it looks like Corally got rid of the screw on body posts. How do you like the new system?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #93
Tech Adept

I'm not sure if i understand what the capacitor is suppose to do.
Is it the same as a condensor? I've got a used KO VFS and I've got a 1000uf Condensor that is soldered to the +/- battery leads on the ESC.

I thought it is suppose to store up energy for that extra BOOST then the trigger is floored or soak up energy when brake is applied.

Are we talking about the same thing? Can you achieve near 50/50 balance left to right on the car?

Looking forward to your report, and thanks for sharing those pics.
Electro-MAX RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #94
Company Representative

The screw on body posts are still in the kit as always. He swapped the body posts for some aftermarket ones apparently.
CorallyUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #95
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Talking freaktastic

hummm....after scrutiny, could my interest be waning?

some preliminary issues? maybe, maybe not, but this board exists for just this reason. let me preface this by stating that the car will be a good one. and that i am an idealist. but i think constant shares that reputation, so i will proceed.

observances:

- the droop screws are a bit close to the hingpins often resulting in a coarse adjustment. (talk to xray guys about that issue!) yes, the xray uses gay, coarse screws which compound the problem, but the distance is not to be ignored.

- the lower shock position appears to be fixed (unless you opt for the add on aluminum pieces). it is too far toward the chassis. it's nearing a 2:1 ratio between wheel travel and piston travel. again, this exploits poorly built shocks, poorly matched springs, and might limit the amount of spring choices for stiff setups. i love the idea of symetrical suspension front to rear, but i feel that the option should exist to get away from it in the rear w/o bolt on adapters.

- i feel the car should have composite knuckles. the aluminum carriers are perfect as they keep from twisting, which will relieve the cvd's from getting hyperextended in an impact. but the knuckles should be softer/composite. metal to metal contact will transfer the impact to the arms, cause even the metal carriers to bend, and the arms will continue to be the weak point. typically the effective method of dampening impact uses a design that utilizes elastic components at the extremities, and more rigid core materials nearer the foundation/base.

- i would like to see the rear hub ears lopped off, and vertical holes drilled in the flat section that they currently rise from. no big deal, but a comment nontheless. and it would be an easy change to make on the current cad drawing/cnc code.

- eccentric diff cams??? i had just assumed that at this point in the game, the external tensioners were a thing of the past. i can't effectively see how the diffs are held in place, but the sighting of the tensioners, and slots in the rear layshaft mount imply to me that the diffs are fixed. are you kidding me? a low cg design should not include a big tensioner poking off of the top deck nearly as high as the shock towers. it just looks less than clean, adds weight, and friction. it does, however, allow for adjustment of either belt within seconds, and without any breakdown of the car. which do you prefer?

- rear body mount? more weight and now the body posts will flex more due to the length. too easy to hang a fender. it's not a bad thing, but the rear shock tower should leave the option to go from there if desired. it appears that the assassin tower solves that?? please, include that in the kit instead of two front towers.

running on carpet, we get less excess weight to play around with for tuning (we run at 50ozs). i don't like to have most of that wrapped up in ineffecient ways of doing things. i will surely scrap both front and rear c/f body post stays, and try to bring that weight in nearer the yaw center.

and no, i actually don't use drugs.

- chris

ps - glad to hear of the revised diffs. also note that most of my original comments weeks ago were positive. the car is a sight, that's for sure, but minor issues plague my brain.

Last edited by seaball; 09-01-2004 at 04:29 PM.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:17 PM   #96
Tech Master

Default Re: i know, i'm crazy

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball

and no, i actually don't use drugs.

- chris
You don't need drugs, Paragon and solder fumes will do that to you. j/k seaball.

Very good points actually.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:33 PM   #97
Company Representative

Any official photos of the production car can be found on www.teamcorally.com or www.corallyusa.com.

Droop screws.... we didn't want to go out too far from the chassis itself with the droop nubs on the chassis.

Lower Shock Positions.... the positions are not fixed. There are 3 holes on the arm with the extention adding a 4th outter hole. The extention is most likely going to be included in the kit.

Composite Knuckles.... right now it is sitting with composite knuckles in the kits.

Rear Hubs.... this was tested and compared in prototyping and we liked this better.

Diffs.... the belt tensioner is optional and included. Not needed as we have run several cars successfully without it. It also is not as high as the shock tower and made out of plastic. (the front). Yes the diffs are fixed and the center layshaft adjusts the belt tension.

Rear Mounts.... that deck will not flex to bother much. The photos posted earlier show incorrect rear shock tower, the assassin tower. The rear tower was redesigned then put on the front of the car.

Weight..... even with the rear mount extensions we are adding weight for rubber tire racing. We are expecting having to add weight on foam tire racing as well.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #98
Tech Elite

Default thanks...rob?

Quote:
Droop screws.... we didn't want to go out too far from the chassis itself with the droop nubs on the chassis.
yeah, i figured that, but i just can't see them rubbing if each were 1/4 wider.

Quote:
Lower Shock Positions.... the positions are not fixed. There are 3 holes on the arm with the extention adding a 4th outter hole. The extention is most likely going to be included in the kit.
cool. i made an incorrect conclusion. that works.

Quote:
Composite Knuckles.... right now it is sitting with composite knuckles in the kits.
that works.

Quote:
Rear Hubs.... this was tested and compared in prototyping and we liked this better.
no you didn't! j/k. i'm not sure why the same geometry couldn't be duplicated both ways, but fair enough.

Quote:
Diffs.... the belt tensioner is optional and included. Not needed as we have run several cars successfully without it. It also is not as high as the shock tower and made out of plastic. (the front). Yes the diffs are fixed and the center layshaft adjusts the belt tension.
i do hope the front will not require it's use. obviously, it's weight won't make or break a tq run, but...it's aesthetically displeasing.

Quote:
Rear Mounts.... that deck will not flex to bother much. The photos posted earlier show incorrect rear shock tower, the assassin tower. The rear tower was redesigned then put on the front of the car.
i am more concerned about the body posts themselves.

Quote:
Weight..... even with the rear mount extensions we are adding weight for rubber tire racing. We are expecting having to add weight on foam tire racing as well.
i prefer to add alot of weight. it's not just about getting to minimum standards, but actually changing weight bias f/r, or l/r. i would love to get my tc3 so far under that it would be nearly 50/50 l/r, but that won't happen at a 50 ounce limit.

thank you for addressing the concerns. it had been so quiet here the last six weeks or so.

- chris
Old 09-02-2004, 10:03 AM   #99
Company Representative

Seaball.... we've been busy as you can tell getting the site and new car ready for release.

The part list for the RDX is now updated with pictures of all the parts we have so far, mainly Assassin parts which is a majority of the car.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #100

Send a message via AIM to T Allen

Rob:

this is todd what will the price be on the car at superior
T Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:45 AM   #101
Tech Elite

why don't the arms look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: gif betta.gif (53.3 KB, 612 views)
Old 09-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #102

that looks like an assassin arm with 2 more holes
Old 09-02-2004, 12:13 PM   #103
Company Representative

T Allen.... price isn't finalized but we are shooting for a street price of $350

Seaball.... we have tested a fourth outter hold by drilling it ourselves and liked it. Perhaps in the future it will be added to the arm. The kit arms are remaining as they are for now. Like we said, it is most likely the aluminum extentions will be included in the kits.

pretty good editing on that photo... i can still see the copy lines though.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:15 PM   #104

rob do you have the forth hole things for the rear arms like mark has that i could buy or you could just give them too me for the assassin figured i would get some since i have already put $350 into the car
Old 09-02-2004, 12:16 PM   #105
Tech Elite

hooray for paint.

i will look forward to that revision.

very nice job on the website. i love to see details of the individual parts. the integrated spur/pulley ala losi is an awesome thing. i didn't know that was available.

thanks.