R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2007, 02:34 PM   #10231
Tech Apprentice

gearing

hiya u RDX lot, had a RDX for some time nowand im findin that i have the car pretty much dialed and sunday i got into the A final for the first time, racing stock motors!!!

just wondering how do you guys get the speed out of your cars because i cant seem to ge the extra bit of speed i need to improve from the bottom of the A final. i have a CO27 stock motor with purple positive spring brush and red negative spring brush, i have a gearing of the standard spur gear, 78 tooth i think and i use a 24 or 25 tooth pinion on most times i race on a medium to tight track with a striaght of about 50 metres. the motor has only been used for 2 meetings and has little to no wear on the comm.

thanx jordan
jordys jrxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:54 PM   #10232
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordys jrxs
hiya u RDX lot, had a RDX for some time nowand im findin that i have the car pretty much dialed and sunday i got into the A final for the first time, racing stock motors!!!

just wondering how do you guys get the speed out of your cars because i cant seem to ge the extra bit of speed i need to improve from the bottom of the A final. i have a CO27 stock motor with purple positive spring brush and red negative spring brush, i have a gearing of the standard spur gear, 78 tooth i think and i use a 24 or 25 tooth pinion on most times i race on a medium to tight track with a striaght of about 50 metres. the motor has only been used for 2 meetings and has little to no wear on the comm.

thanx jordan

Put a 27 on it and let it rip...

Cut it when the brushes turn ANY COLOR THAN NEW and replace with new brushes..

Good luck.
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:02 PM   #10233
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
Put a 27 on it and let it rip...

Cut it when the brushes turn ANY COLOR THAN NEW and replace with new brushes..

Good luck.
are you sure m8 lol seems very very high lol i still have the standard brushes on there loool oh well ill give it a try btw its in the uk if that makes any difference????

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/barry.h...s/IMG_3713.gif

THE ABOVE LIN IS THE TRACK I RACE ON soo i thoought it maybe abit high??

thanx jordan
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #10234
Tech Addict

Yea, a 27 would burn you up in about 4 minutes... stick with the 25 that gives you a 6.24 ratio (assuming your running rubber tires of course If it's a tight track gear down from there
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:02 PM   #10235
Tech Apprentice

ok then m8 i just thort it was abit high LOL, i may change the spur gear maybe 1 or 2 teeth down soo it changes the ratio totally then go from there because it mianly acceleration im lackin out of the corners!!!

thanx jordan
Old 02-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #10236
Tech Addict

I don't know your situation, but you could also try getting some good matched batteries... that alone will feel like 2 teeth lower worth of punch and 2 higher down the straights
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #10237
Tech Apprentice

gearing,batteries

LOL, yes that is good i do have a good 2 packs of matched batteries but they arent in the best of condition. i have a protrak charger is there anyway i could try and bring the life back in them????

thanx jordan
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #10238
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordys jrxs
LOL, yes that is good i do have a good 2 packs of matched batteries but they arent in the best of condition. i have a protrak charger is there anyway i could try and bring the life back in them????

thanx jordan
Jordan,

You didn't say if your two matched packs are 3300/3600/3700/3800/4200.

Do you have any way of equalizing your batteries with the Trinity DPD or Much More discharger? That will tell you what you have per each cell. And you might be able to make one better pack by swapping cells between packs.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:48 AM   #10239
Tech Apprentice

Default batteries

hi yeah sorry mate, my batteries are matched orion 3700's and i realy need to keep both of the packs to a reasonable condition because im only 15 and dont have the money to buy 2 knew packs of batteries!! and my protrak has a discharge function on it where i can use a wire loom to each cell so i can monitor what my protak is taking out of my batteries...

is there anyway of bringing my batteries back to life so i can atleast move from the bottom of the A final at my club.

jordan

BY THE WAY: i have recently changed my brushes on my stock motor (CO27) to trinity ones hopefully this should help abit!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #10240
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

In kit form what is the width of the RDX front and rear?

I have seen people running 2.5 spacers on the front and what does this increase the track width to.

Thanks,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM   #10241
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH
In kit form what is the width of the RDX front and rear?

I have seen people running 2.5 spacers on the front and what does this increase the track width to.

Thanks,
Out of the box with one shim around the front and none in the back, it is 188mm. If you put 2 deg of rear toe into the car and narrow hexes you will be at 190mm in the rear. Usually if people are running 2.5 shims in the front they are running narrow hexes as well. Varies with tire offset as well a bit.

Jeff
Old 02-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #10242
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks Jeff. That info helps me alot.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #10243
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hey guys, I've got the car working really well when the foam tires are small, like 55 or 54MM. As soon as I go to a new, taller tire (I start them at 58MM) things kind of go to hell. The car wants to lean and lift when cornering hard, and it transitions a lot more sloppily than it does with tiny tires. Is there anything I should do to limit this?

I'm running a 5MM ride height with 2MM up. I usually don't glue the side walls, and the traction at the track is pretty average, though it comes up a little bit by the mains.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 AM   #10244
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bigger tires cause a lower roll center when the car is at ride height. Raise your suspension up at the lower-inner and upper-inner suspension mounts to undo this.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:30 AM   #10245
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hey guys, I've got the car working really well when the foam tires are small, like 55 or 54MM. As soon as I go to a new, taller tire (I start them at 58MM) things kind of go to hell. The car wants to lean and lift when cornering hard, and it transitions a lot more sloppily than it does with tiny tires. Is there anything I should do to limit this?

I'm running a 5MM ride height with 2MM up. I usually don't glue the side walls, and the traction at the track is pretty average, though it comes up a little bit by the mains.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to offer.
I would just change your droop setting. The bigger tires require a different droop setting to maintain the same feel as smaller tires. Try dropping down to 1mm or 1.5mm all the way around. The taller sidewalls also will make the car edgy a bit, so perhaps run a small bead of CA around the tire near the rim.

Jeff