R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #10081
Tech Adept

By stock bumper, are you referring to the piece that attaches to the chassis with the two screws and nut?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #10082
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the 2006 competition spec chassis? If so, what application does it have?

Cheerz
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:19 PM   #10083
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_wheelin
By stock bumper, are you referring to the piece that attaches to the chassis with the two screws and nut?
yes.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Corally RDX Touring Car-picture-001.jpg  
Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #10084
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

New aluminum arms and redesigned steering levers are up on Corally International.

http://international.corally.com/new...06_55_news.htm
http://international.corally.com/new...06_56_news.htm
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 PM   #10085
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian
Has anyone tried the 2006 competition spec chassis? If so, what application does it have?

Cheerz
The new chassis moves the batteries quite a bit back for more steering. It's thin so it will most likely be used for asphalt.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #10086
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
The new chassis moves the batteries quite a bit back for more steering. It's thin so it will most likely be used for asphalt.
I thought it would be more for asphalt also, but then I noticed on the set-up page on corally's site that Mike Nelson was using it at the recent Novak Race.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #10087
Tech Elite

Depends on what you want the car to do. The thin chassis is usually designed for asphalt and the thicker 4.0mm for carpet, although some drivers have been known to try vise versa. The #79337B is the new chassis and is pretty thin. The major change is the battery location, but weight placement, etc., have also changed. If you use the optional offset motor mount from Specialized RC you will need to remove some chassis material to fit the motor too.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:51 PM   #10088
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The competition spec chassis has that stiffening plate too. Corally says it's for "high-traction carpet," though presumably, they mean rubber tires.

By moving the battery back, all the weight slots on the chassis behind the battery are gone, making it hard to use that area to add weight if you're trying to balance a LiPo. For those of us that are trying to move away from NiMH, that's something worth consideration. It concerns me that the Phi seems to use this new configuration, but I'm sure there's ways around it. I'm guessing not enough people care about LiPo (yet?), so who knows if the aftermarket will do anything to ease the pain.

Since the chassis is thinner, if you were going to try it for foams, wouldn't you want to use the standard roll center mounts to achieve similar roll center to a 2.9 chassis with the optional low mounts?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #10089
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I was wondering why would moving the battery back add steering? I would think that this would add rear grip....? Please help me out with this one....

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #10090
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nelson
yes.
Thanks Mike. That is how I thought it mounted but something didn't look right about it.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:22 PM   #10091
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advil
I was wondering why would moving the battery back add steering? I would think that this would add rear grip....? Please help me out with this one....
Swing weight..Rear steer like in offroad cars..Moving the battery forward will yield the most traction, move it back mo steering ..hope this helps..Bitt
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #10092
Tech Regular

Quote:
Quick answer:
It adds off power steering because there is more weight in the rear that can be transfered forward .
Old 01-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #10093
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I see, I was thinking of static wheel weights but this is about transient weight....hmmm by the same token, wouldn't the rearward movement of the weight "on power" take away steering? So it would be "more" off power steering in exchange for "less" on power steering?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #10094
Tech Regular

Talking

Quote:
I see, I was thinking of static wheel weights but this is about transient weight....hmmm by the same token, wouldn't the rearward movement of the weight "on power" take away steering? So it would be "more" off power steering in exchange for "less" on power steering?
Uptravel plays a major role in how much weight is transfered at either end of the car (which you probably already know). The new battery placement probably balances out the car a little more, hence giving the car a little more steering where the old chassis needed more tuning to get enough steering. I've never had a problem with on power steering, but I'm always in search for a little more controlled turn-in.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #10095
Tech Master

So with a heavy nose you run less rear droop, the rear doesn't transfer because the weight is on the nose and rotates.

And with a heavy rear you run more droop, the rear transfers more weight to make it rotate.

Interesting..... which is better? carpet? asphalt?

Jeff