R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2006, 06:49 PM   #9631
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Ceramic Ball Bearings

Can I get some opinions on whether ceramic ball bearings are worth spending the money on? I was looking at the ones Acer Racing offers. www.acerracing.com
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:15 PM   #9632
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Also, for what it's worth, Simo Ahoniemi won the Orion Cup with the prototype RDX, so apparently it's a capable car in the right hands. He's still putting RDX stickers on the body... not sure if that gives us any hint about the name of the updated car.
Is the new prototype RDX going to be strictly a pavement car or both carpet and pavement?
kobiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 PM   #9633
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan
Can I get some opinions on whether ceramic ball bearings are worth spending the money on? I was looking at the ones Acer Racing offers. www.acerracing.com
Opinions vary quite a bit on this subject. I used them in one of my cars and didn't feel any improvement and they were more fragile. I was able to get my regular bearings to spin just as free by keeping them clean and lubed. I do use ceramic diff balls and they feel much smoother than carbide or steel and they seem to last longer. My suggestion is to save the money on the ceramics and just order regular bearings from avidrc.com. They are $1.00 a piece so if it gets gritty you can just replace it.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #9634
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
I tried taking my top deck off while I had the battery strap cranked down on my LiPo, and it was jammed on to the bulkheads and almost impossible to remove. Once I removed the battery strap, it came right off with no resistance at all. So, if that's not a tweak, I don't know what is.
So now you know what working on a T2 is like all the time...
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #9635
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwan
That is exactly what I use on both my RDXs. Usually get at least a season out of them on my asphalt car and longer on my carpet car.

The Corally ceramic balls for the diffs are really nice too.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:56 AM   #9636
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Honestly, breaking the old hexes shouldn't have been a problem. As many other people have said on this forum, you do not need to be an ape when it comes to tightening these things down. All they need to be is snug.
You don't hit as much stuff as some other people do. I've had the same hexes on my RDX since it was new, the Mrs. goes through them like they were Pez when we run on carpet. When we run on asphalt, she doesn't hit as much.. magically the hex breakage goes WAY down. They're not overtightened, the narrow ones just don't seem to like repeated blunt trauma. That's the older black style hexes, haven't had a chance to try the newer style yet.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #9637
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

new corally look

Last edited by Guo Chean; 07-12-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Guo Chean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #9638
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Interesting stuff in those pictures. It looks like the existing roll center blocks are pushed into a new piece and then mounted to the chassis independently of the bulkheads. If that's the case, it will allow for easier rollcenter changes AND we can use our existing blocks, which will make me love Corally long time.

No center steering, huh? I guess it's not so great? Quick release bulkheads all around will be nice. The rear diff looks offset and the front looks centered, which probably means new diff/one-way/spool parts. I kind of figured they would center the rear so they didn't have to retool their spool and one-way, but what do I know?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 09:29 AM   #9639
Tech Lord

It's interesting how the topdeck attaches to the bulkheads. We kind of saw signs of this in the other pictures, but it's confirmed now. It looks like it slides into the bulkheads, almost. I suppose that's one way to lower it other than pocketing.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:36 AM   #9640
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Will be new diffs and one-way as the bulkheads are suppose to be about 5mm narrower. Quick change roll centers with the same arms and geometry of the old car. Need a chassis and upper deck and this car should be good on foams also. Sounds like the center steering has been working with a spool and rubber tires, but for anything else the standard setup is prefered.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #9641
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
Will be new diffs and one-way as the bulkheads are suppose to be about 5mm narrower. Quick change roll centers with the same arms and geometry of the old car. Need a chassis and upper deck and this car should be good on foams also. Sounds like the center steering has been working with a spool and rubber tires, but for anything else the standard setup is prefered.
Hey Brian... you sure seem to know a lot about the new car.... for a guy that is "retired" from TC racing
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM   #9642
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRtuned
My name is Charlie Albrecht. I am a factory Corally driver. I spend all day on the net bashing on X ray and other drivers that aren't better than me. I lost my Checkpoint sponsor and Orion job but I still bash on everyone. If you need my help I will have my own site. Ask Bitter...

Wally,you coming up with Tony over thanksgiving?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #9643
Tech Lord

Oh, interesting. Even though the bulkheads are narrower, you can see where the outdrives extend out past the bulkhead, sort of the round looking piece. I guess that would keep them from needing to use different/longer CVDs, which is nice. The front pulley definitely look centered, though. It looks like a different piece that inserts into the bulkhead and supports the outdrives beyond the bulkheads, sort of like a modified bearing holder or something. Neat stuff from the Corally camp. I can't say I've seen anything like it before, but I'm sure someone will correct me there.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #9644
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman
Hey Brian... you sure seem to know a lot about the new car.... for a guy that is "retired" from TC racing
Hey Otto, what are you doing in this thread..... I didnt know you guys are running a Corally.....
Doughnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #9645
Tech Master

Diffs are not changed.

Jeff