Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
So, I'm a little skeptical about this new chassis. It's only 2.4mm, and I guess the stiffening plate is intended to make it suitable for carpet racing. But what about those of us using foams on carpet? I haven't seen this chassis on any of the cars from the IIC, so how much testing did it get, exactly, with foam tires? Haven't we learned from XRay's Multi-Sux(tm) debacle that adjustable flex is lame for foam racers?

Does this nose-heavy car really need more weight up front? I know the plate is light, but still... Foam racers generally don't need that crap.

Sorry to speculate, maybe someone in the know can educate us?
Asphalt.

The chassis was tested at the Worlds. I have seen Chris' from the Worlds but that is about it. The stiffner may help on carpet, but maybe not with foam tire as usually the chassis as a whole has to be stiffer. I personally have not run one to see how it reacts.

It will not be a Multi-Tweak system like Brand X released.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Ah, interesting, thanks for letting us know. I'll pick up a pair on my next order and give them a try.

Did you guys use many of the updated parts (like the new arms, rear hubs, etc, topdeck) in Veags? Learn anything from it? I'm guessing the low traction made it hard to really get a good feel about how that stuff work work in more standard conditions for a large event.
Honestly, I did not use anything trick on my cars. I ran standard 75% arms on both cars, except the foam car I had 20% arms on the front.

I had 2 deg hubs on my Rubber Tire car. I had 2.9mm chassis and 2.4mm topdeck for Rubber car as well. I had 4.0mm chassis and 2.9mm topdeck for foam.

The biggest thing about cars in vegas was tires. The setups were good and fast. The biggest thing was to actually use bigger tires in foam. I ran 57mm tires in the last round and main. I also read that someone from Brand X that won 19T ran 57.5mm tires.

It was all about traction and not scrubbing. Definately a learning curve for many people. There were also a lot of excuses flying as to what caused it. The biggest factor was after Vegas last year, the carpet was manufactured differently.

The weave is a lot tighter now and does not absorb as much traction as before. Vegas last year was black. Major major traction. We all went to Cleveland and it was bumpy, but Medium at best, even with Paragon. Not many people know about these changes so there is a curve on setups. Everything changes.

We learned a lot.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
The weave is a lot tighter now and does not absorb as much traction as before. Vegas last year was black. Major major traction. We all went to Cleveland and it was bumpy, but Medium at best, even with Paragon. Not many people know about these changes so there is a curve on setups. Everything changes.
Jeff
Yea and the backing on the new carpet is different. Last years carpet was around .125 thick. This new carpet is only about .080-090 thick....Our track just put new carpet down and it's a lot different than last years!!

You going to the Halloween Classic? Going to be a huge race!!

EA
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks again, it's good to hear a race report from Vegas. Larger foams work better in lower traction? That's surprising. Maybe in some ways, it's good for teams to work together to solve problems in new and unusual situations. Like you said, you can learn a lot about your car, perhaps even something that will help you gain an edge in different conditions.

I'm glad to hear multi-sux isn't exactly in our future. :-)
Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Tech Lord

I really like the new topdeck, even more after my second week with it. It gives you a lot more room for electronics, and for the second week in a row, my tires wore less, and MUCH more evenly.

The one drawback is that using it with the offset bulkhead requires you to trim it a bit, ruining some of its bling factor, no matter how good you are with a Dremel. It also makes it basically impossible to adjust the motor position without removing the top deck.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yea and the backing on the new carpet is different. Last years carpet was around .125 thick. This new carpet is only about .080-090 thick....Our track just put new carpet down and it's a lot different than last years!!

You going to the Halloween Classic? Going to be a huge race!!

EA
Yeah, I meant to mention the backing on the carpet but I figured the weave was enough. haha.

I won't be at the Halloween race as I leave for iHobby on Tuesday. Just too much going on in October. If wasn't attending iHobby I'd probably be there.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Jeff,

Will you be in the shop tomorrow? I wanted to ask you a couple of questions.

Art
Old 10-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Thanks again, it's good to hear a race report from Vegas. Larger foams work better in lower traction? That's surprising. Maybe in some ways, it's good for teams to work together to solve problems in new and unusual situations. Like you said, you can learn a lot about your car, perhaps even something that will help you gain an edge in different conditions.

I'm glad to hear multi-sux isn't exactly in our future. :-)
Bigger foams hold more grip and have more sidewall flex so you get better grip through a corner. If you pay attention to previous races, the super high bite races people use like 56mm or smaller at times. The carpet has changed so the setups have changed. It happens. Just need to notice it quickly and stay ahead of the curve.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
Jeff,

Will you be in the shop tomorrow? I wanted to ask you a couple of questions.

Art
Nah. Since you want me there I will call in sick.

Yeah, I'll be there.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Jeff,

Do you have any instructions for installing the new center steering on my RDX? Picked up all the required parts from Shane's store at the IIC.

Planning to use it for TC Stock Rubber racing at Stockton; but, not totally sure it is best suited to a rubber setup.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Flex free or Flex full- is the question

No, I'm not kidding. I'm a little bit weary of chassis with adjustable flex for people that race carpet. The RDX with this new chassis (or presumably the new car) hasn't beaten anybody yet. What does anything I said have to do with your little tirade about back-to-back championships? We know the current car is incredible, nobody is disputing that. I'm talking about the new parts. Did you actually read what I wrote before you posted?

I hope they develop one car with the ability to be tuned for all kinds of racing, like they've got now. I hope they do that without compromises like goofy flex adjusting, otherwise I'm going to toss my "why compromise" towel in the trash. Developing a car strictly for one type of racing is asinine, and will alienate their customer base that doesn't car about said style of racing. I'm hopeful that Corally won't do that. Maybe there's more to come. Maybe a 2.4mm chassis with an extra plate with be more than stiff enough for the kind of racing we do. Yea, that's it.

I travell a lot so I can see try a lot and despite being not a top driver I do can feel the difference of different chassis.

I did race the actual 3,0mm versus this new chassis with and without plate, with normal screws and with screws plus o-rings.
More - I tried asphalt technical and not (big tracks for 1:8Nitro) with and without sugar. I tried carpet (permanent track with lots of grip and week-end track with low grip) - rubber and Foam.
All this with one-way and with spool.
The both chassis had one speedo from Corally and the motor was one CheckPoint 12x1..- and the servo was allways the Futaba (the low profile one)
yes and I did all that wit the new arms.

My conclusions are that the 3,00mm is much better for foam and as good as the new with the plate - for high grip techie asphalt tracks.

For big tracks and medium to low grip tracks in asphalt - the new chassis is way better.

The multi flex idea is good if it works lol ( so some cars are happy others not and keep trying. - Future will speak for this one), because the 2 first quick "setup" changes are the Body and the chassis flex (or thickness of it and upperdeck) than the rest - please remember that here we have one average of 6 to 8 packs to make the car ready for the qualifying in one track and you loose more time with mistakes than setup errors.

I hope that this information can help and I am sure more possibilities are allways good. The RDX with the "old" 3,00mm chassis is the best I know for carpet/foams and my friends swear on the new upper deck, but on asphalt I tried a "flex" car on the last Nationals in Portugal and I did TQ time...sadly was after qualifying...

I cannot wait for the new car.

cheers

Pedro
Old 10-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Thanks Pedro, that's very good feedback about the new chassis. With my limited ability, I've found the 3MM "old" chassis with the new thick topdeck to be the best combination on carpet so far. I'm very pleased with it.

But, I hope to get the new car when it comes out, and I'm concerned that it might be aimed more at asphalt. I imagine we'll see aftermarket chassis to fix that, but not right away.

I appreciate the report, we don't get much talk about the RDX here from people abroad. This thread seems to be very US specific, which tends to skew our perspective on what's going on with the RDX elsewhere in the world.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Tech Lord

Corally's site has been updated with information about the new arms, and new sway bars and mounting hardware. It looks like they went ahead and produced the 80% arms after all.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Corally's site has been updated with information about the new arms, and new sway bars and mounting hardware. It looks like they went ahead and produced the 80% arms after all.
I will try and get the website updated with all the items on the RDX Parts list. We leave for iHobby Expo tuesday so not much time left. None of the items will arrive until the week after the Expo.

At the moment we do not have the new chassis and stiffner plate coming in.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

Jeff you are commin to chi town ? Sweeeeeet. See you at the show.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.