R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-30-2006, 08:56 AM   #8716
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The car is probably due for an update after 2 years. As long as they're not looking at reinventing everything, and are just building upon an already proven chassis, I think the changes sound really cool. Plus, I don't mind sticking with my current RDX for a while so all the team kids can work out the bugs with their fat discount.

I kinda hope they update the diffs somehow. It sure does seem like they need a lot of attention, especially if you run a torquey brushless motor.

I've grown to really appreciate the Torx screws.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #8717
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman
That's funny, I replaced everything you just suggested except the battery strap...can't find the right thumb screw.

Lunsford ti turnbuckles
RPM ball cups
Tamiya shocks - but I did get the RDX ones to work - new bladders
Eliminated the c-clips by notching the hinge pins with a Dremel and used the set screws - had to ream out the arms a little to free them up
I was referring to the circlip in the diff (that seems to always get messed up). I dont use the clips on the hinge pins. I dremeled and use the set screw. I use the ti turnbuckles as well with the Schumacher Ball Grippa cups. HPI shocks...

Not sure why the torx screws are a problem. Only requires one extra tool.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:59 AM   #8718
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Syn -

Maybe they will make it the FIRST Touring Car... specifically designed for LiPo use???

Never know?
tbeardmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 AM   #8719
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_UK
Oh yea, and at home ive got a pic of one of the Ahoniemi brothers car at the euros - its an update and appears to have a different chassis without battery strap and a totally different steering setup - the servo is rotated 180 degrees round so the servo saver is pointing in towards the belt and the steering uprights are different!
The car is already setup so you can use tape. I would keep the battery strap for the rest of us.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #8720
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to JAY_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohlman
I would luv to see that pic JAY. I tried it myself and it would work perfectly except you need a smaller servo saver...hits the topdeck. I shaved the top of the servo saver but now it looks too weak.
Will post it when i get home from work dude!
JAY_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #8721
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore
Hey Syn -

Maybe they will make it the FIRST Touring Car... specifically designed for LiPo use???

Never know?
Hey, that would be cool! Fastlane announced the official SS4300/LiPo/NiMh class last night, and people are all over it.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:56 AM   #8722
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hey, that would be cool! Fastlane announced the official SS4300/LiPo/NiMh class last night, and people are all over it.
Ok this is my opinion so nobody flame me, please!

I dont want to see the whole rc scene switch to LIPO. Yes they are cool, one pack, multiple races with a quick peak inbetween, long run time more punch, but i personally dont want to see them legal unless its in a lipo only class for the following reasons:

1 Our sport is expensive enough for beginners to get into and this would push the cost of starting racing competatively up again.

2 Id like to still be able to use NI-MH if i change to the upgraded RDX without having to buy a new chassis/fitment kit specifically for NI-MH cells.

3 Think of all the battery manufacturers that would be forced to make staff redundant or possibly cease trading if they cannot afford to produce of compete with the bigger players in the LIPO market, surely this cant be good for our industry.

As i said it is an OPINION so nobody tell me im an a$$ and that i have no clue what im on about because i am entitled to an individual opinion!
Thanks for listening!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #8723
Tech Champion

Well Lipo will definately get cheaper when it is more widely accepted (well at least cheaper for other products. Im sure in RC it will continue to be jacked up). Unfortunately for nimh if their only application remains to be RC then there wont be incentive for companies to mfg them. I think it is inevitable they will be replaced with something else.

But back to the RDX.... Its fun to think about what the next car might be like. Would be great to see some of these suggestions implemented. My understanding is the body post wont be changed b/c thats the way they have always done it. Unfortunate b/c HPI and other companies are making money off Corally continuing to use them. Corally should at least make alternate body posts that they sell. I dont think Ive ever seen an RDX with the real body posts installed. At least not in person. Though Ive only seen 9 or 10 or them.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #8724
Tech Adept

Point well presented or8ital!
You can always drill your bodyposts to accept pins. Personally i use the corally nuts, only time i despise them is when im using stratus shell as the posts are right under the rear wing IIRC mazda 6 moves the posts further away than the wing, but your right, it would be good to see corally offer alternative posts. One things for sure - the corally nuts never pop off when you hit a board unlike body clips!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #8725
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i hope they change it alot.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #8726
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball
i hope they change it alot.
shut it.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #8727
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_UK
As i said it is an OPINION so nobody tell me im an a$$ and that i have no clue what im on about because i am entitled to an individual opinion! Thanks for listening!
Hehehe. I think maybe the BL/LiPo fans tend to be overzealous. Recently, the conversations all go like this:

"Hey guys, I'm not sold on LiPo, I still kinda like Ni... OH GOD PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!!!!"
Old 08-30-2006, 12:06 PM   #8728
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Hehehe. I think maybe the BL/LiPo fans tend to be overzealous. Recently, the conversations all go like this:

"Hey guys, I'm not sold on LiPo, I still kinda like Ni... OH GOD PLEASE DON'T HURT ME!!!!"
LMAO! Im a DJ and i use vinyl so herein with my RC products i say BRUSHED ROCKS! Long live NI-MH! And now, im taking my work back underground before the LIPO police turn up! Laters!
Old 08-30-2006, 03:15 PM   #8729
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
I just ordered a few things through the corally site for the first time. The pages kept saying shipping will be added. I thought there would be a last page to know how much and to choose a type/price level of shipping, but the very last page still said shipping will be added. I figure the shipping will be fair, but how can I know how much ti will be? Did I do something wrong? I was hoping to upgrade the shipping to make sure the items arrived before the weekend. Is there any way to do that now?

Also, I tried to get some of the x-long rear shock extensions and they said no longer available. Is this correct? Is there anywhere else to get them? Thanks guys. You always rock!

Andrew Doherty
Well, it really depends on what you order. We always ship the cheapest and fastest way. Part orders always go USPS and sometimes kits as well. Just depends how big the box is. There are a lot of different size boxes and pricing and we are trying to figure out a way to make it fair. At the moment it seems the easiest for us to add it in ourselves, the cheapest way available.

Regarding the X-long extensions. They are temporarily not available. We do not know the demand for them with the new suspension arms as this position is molded into them now. If people still want the x-long extension if they are using the older arms, we need to know the demand.

Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #8730
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Warner

See ya in Cleveland!?!?
Absolutely.

Jeff