R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #8266
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Yup, there are two different kinds of extensions. There are the standard type that come with the car, and the SRC ones that are about another hole longer. The new arms give you 3 positions. One for a position equal to the old arm with no extension, one equal to the old arm and the standard extension, and the new arm has a position really close to the old arm and the SRC extra long extension (it's about half a hole further in on the arm).

-Korey
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #8267
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
Thanks dude i did a search on the shaft/eyelet mod you mention but came up nill could you give me more on the shaft/eyelet mod.
Try starting here and read for a bit. Most guys using the lowered front tower are taking 3mm off the shock shaft (on the threaded end) and 3mm off the ball end in order to return the shock piston to its normal spot within the shock body. There's some debate on whether or not it's necessary to cut both pieces, but it's easy enough to do and works fine. Without the mod, your front shocks will bottom out and you won't be able to make ride height.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #8268
Tech Rookie
 
sickdesgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Leominster, Ma
Posts: 2
Default

I recently purchased an RDX carpet edition chassis. I am just about done putting it together. I am COMPLETELY new to RC and wanted to carpet race, hence the guy's at the local Hobby shop(RCE in Mass) recommended the RDX.
I am very happy with the car(of course it hasn't run yet ). I read about 80% of this thread and am very happy with the wealth of knowledge that is shared.

It's nice to know that a complete new-b has a place to go and get answers. I think this thread has been very informative thus far!

As far as set up I'm not worried as there are some guys at the LHS that are willing to help(thanks ED).

The one small question I have is a part number for the lower shock tower? I'm sure I missed it somewhere and the search didn't produce a number. Could someone help me out? Thanks in advance...
sickdesgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:46 PM   #8269
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
Yup, there are two different kinds of extensions. There are the standard type that come with the car, and the SRC ones that are about another hole longer. The new arms give you 3 positions. One for a position equal to the old arm with no extension, one equal to the old arm and the standard extension, and the new arm has a position really close to the old arm and the SRC extra long extension (it's about half a hole further in on the arm).

-Korey
That clears it all up! Thanks.

Lowered Shock tower #
COR79238

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=438&id=5865
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #8270
Tech Rookie
 
sickdesgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Leominster, Ma
Posts: 2
Default

Thanks for the part number!!! Out of stock, but at least I have it. Thank you again,

Keith
sickdesgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #8271
Tech Regular
 
EricO3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 266
Send a message via AIM to EricO3 Send a message via MSN to EricO3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Try starting here and read for a bit. Most guys using the lowered front tower are taking 3mm off the shock shaft (on the threaded end) and 3mm off the ball end in order to return the shock piston to its normal spot within the shock body. There's some debate on whether or not it's necessary to cut both pieces, but it's easy enough to do and works fine. Without the mod, your front shocks will bottom out and you won't be able to make ride height.

My car must be special then
EricO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #8272
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,776
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickdesgn
Thanks for the part number!!! Out of stock, but at least I have it. Thank you again,

Keith

In stock . . .sorry bout that.
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=COR79238
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:10 AM   #8273
Tech Fanatic
 
Jaybo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 773
Default

hey guys, i played around with the car a little on friday/saturday to try and do something i've been wanting to do for a while

i love the rdx... but the only thing that shit me about it was the servo placement, the way the arm sat just rendered the area useless to mounting switches/transponders etc, so i inverted the servo, and moved the steering arm to the inside of the chassis.

i'm not sure if somone else has done this already, i know some of the guys at the worlds were running different top decks to acheive a similar thing, however this mod requires only a light filing of the edge of the top deck (or none at all - depending on your servo horn)

the only downside is i cant fit a servo saver in there at the moment... though i'm not exactly worried about that.

here's a few pics to show what i did

http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00390.JPG

http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00386.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00388.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00389.JPG

once again... not sure if it's already been done cause i havnt been paying much attention to this thread, but thought i'd share it with you all

cheers
-Jay
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 AM   #8274
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo
hey guys, i played around with the car a little on friday/saturday to try and do something i've been wanting to do for a while

i love the rdx... but the only thing that shit me about it was the servo placement, the way the arm sat just rendered the area useless to mounting switches/transponders etc, so i inverted the servo, and moved the steering arm to the inside of the chassis.

i'm not sure if somone else has done this already, i know some of the guys at the worlds were running different top decks to acheive a similar thing, however this mod requires only a light filing of the edge of the top deck (or none at all - depending on your servo horn)

the only downside is i cant fit a servo saver in there at the moment... though i'm not exactly worried about that.

here's a few pics to show what i did

http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00390.JPG

http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00386.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00388.JPG
http://vonbobo.com/crap/cameraphone/DSC00389.JPG

once again... not sure if it's already been done cause i havnt been paying much attention to this thread, but thought i'd share it with you all

cheers
-Jay
Hey, that's pretty cool. I know there were some guys messing with the servo swapped around, and using a single steering post at the worlds. I don't know if they had any luck with it or not.

A lot of guys use that Futaba servo that's half-height. You can fit your transponder behind it perfectly without rubbing the belt, making the most of your space.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:06 AM   #8275
Tech Fanatic
 
Jaybo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 773
Default

yeah i've got the new KO one, and just got a spektrum micro receiver too

the only problem i had with hiding the transponder behind the servo was a couple of tracks around here have the older style system, so we need to run club transponders, so now i can hang the clubby off the side of my servo

those photos from the worlds gave me the encouragement to start on my own mods... i was originally going to hang the posts from the top deck, but realised i could just invert the bellcranks without turning the whole post upside down as well.

it's a close fit, and took me a while to find the right spots for everything, but seems to work fine
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #8276
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Try starting here and read for a bit. Most guys using the lowered front tower are taking 3mm off the shock shaft (on the threaded end) and 3mm off the ball end in order to return the shock piston to its normal spot within the shock body. There's some debate on whether or not it's necessary to cut both pieces, but it's easy enough to do and works fine. Without the mod, your front shocks will bottom out and you won't be able to make ride height.
Syndrome you are a world of information thank you dude.
Mutabarucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #8277
Tech Elite
 
HarshGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 3,379
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yep I just picked up the new KO servo and the micro spektrum recvr, everything fits "nice and tidy":






Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo
yeah i've got the new KO one, and just got a spektrum micro receiver too

the only problem i had with hiding the transponder behind the servo was a couple of tracks around here have the older style system, so we need to run club transponders, so now i can hang the clubby off the side of my servo

those photos from the worlds gave me the encouragement to start on my own mods... i was originally going to hang the posts from the top deck, but realised i could just invert the bellcranks without turning the whole post upside down as well.

it's a close fit, and took me a while to find the right spots for everything, but seems to work fine
__________________
http://www.arroyoc.com
http://www.gearchart.com
http://www.weracemountainbikes.com
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #8278
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Yep I just picked up the new KO servo and the micro spektrum recvr, everything fits "nice and tidy":
Ah, nice, it looks like the same size as the Futaba. I see a lot of guys putting the transponders on the back of the servo, against the side with the screws. It's a perfect size gap for it, and doesn't interfere with the topdeck or the belt. In fact, you can't even see it without really looking.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #8279
Tech Elite
 
HarshGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 3,379
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Ah, nice, it looks like the same size as the Futaba. I see a lot of guys putting the transponders on the back of the servo, against the side with the screws. It's a perfect size gap for it, and doesn't interfere with the topdeck or the belt. In fact, you can't even see it without really looking.
Yea it would fit there, it's kind of a "temporary location" (just stuck it up there with servo tape for now) as I'm expecting my i-PT's andy day now ...which I think are even smaller, but in any event ...once I get those then I'll find a permanent spot for it
__________________
http://www.arroyoc.com
http://www.gearchart.com
http://www.weracemountainbikes.com
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 AM   #8280
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Oh cool, definitely take pictures with the iPT, I'm curious to see how they look in the RDX.

The Spektrum micro is pretty nice. I put it behind my motor, and run a "bridge" of receiver wires over the top of the motor. I'm running the GTB, so it's a little cramped for space. It doesn't look too bad I guess, but it's hard to do anything elegant with that monstrous GTB in there.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corally CCT Pan-touring car biker R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 03-02-2010 09:21 PM
Corally CCT Pan touring car biker R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 11-05-2003 07:24 AM
Corally F1 w/touring car setup froghead R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 6 10-29-2003 08:10 PM
New Corally Touring Car At Nurnberg JANTLE Electric On-Road 117 04-30-2003 05:23 AM
Brand New Corally C4.1 Touring Car HauntedMyst R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 10-25-2002 08:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net