R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 AM   #7321
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciless
Hi all,

Ran the car on the weekend , Tarmac with rubber tires, first time i've tried this. I had terrible mid corner push and need help !!

Set-up

Front

17lb spring ,30wt oil ,Tamiya 3hole pistons mounted 2 holes in at the top and all the way out at the bottom.

One-way used

Upper links mounted bottom row 3rd hole in

1.5deg negative camber

4deg caster blocks

Rear

19LB springs ,30wt oil ,Tamiya 3hole pistons mounted all the way out top and bottom

Diff ... set as loose as i could without any slippage on track

Upper links std. position on the hub 2nd hole in bottom row on the tower

2deg hubs used

1deg neg camber

Track was high grip i'm told and it was pretty hot for over here so i was using take off premounted cs 27's . to me they didn't seem to go off through the run so i assumed they weren't over heating

Like i said i have terrible mid corner steering it just seems to take an age to turn, although initial steering is pretty fierce. Sweeping bends are no problem at all, it's the slower 180's that cause the problem when i just have to wait while the car slows enough to go around

Any help please ??
Heavier springs on the back??? Go to 14.5# springs on the back. Even 12.5# is an option.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #7322
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

Yeah that's right heavier on the back and STILL not enough mid corner ......

Putting the rear springs lighter as you suggest would surely make my mid corner lack of steering worse !! ??

Thanks for the suggestion though, anyone else think it'd work ??
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #7323
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yeah that's right heavier on the back and STILL not enough mid corner ......

Putting the rear springs lighter as you suggest would surely make my mid corner lack of steering worse !! ??

Thanks for the suggestion though, anyone else think it'd work ??
Hi Merci,

Look at all the posted setups for carpet and asphalt. Not one has heavier springs on the rear.

Bill

Old 05-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #7324
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Have you tried taking some of the bump steer out of the front end? Use the ball studs that are normally used on the rear shock tower for the camber links on the steering blocks. This will prevent the front end from generating a ton of toe out as the suspension is compressed. this should give you the mid corner bit you are looking for.

After you do that, go back to the same spring all around, and try the 2nd hole in all around on your camber links.... bottom row in the rear, upper in the front. Then try moving your rear camber link tot he outside hole on the rear hub. That should free up the rear end around the middle of the corner, and the car will feel more balanced overall. Running stiffer springs in the rear will really screw with stuff and make it hard to drive as is gets warmer in temps.

-Korey

Quote:
Hi all,

Ran the car on the weekend , Tarmac with rubber tires, first time i've tried this. I had terrible mid corner push and need help !!

Set-up

Front

17lb spring ,30wt oil ,Tamiya 3hole pistons mounted 2 holes in at the top and all the way out at the bottom.

One-way used

Upper links mounted bottom row 3rd hole in

1.5deg negative camber

4deg caster blocks

Rear

19LB springs ,30wt oil ,Tamiya 3hole pistons mounted all the way out top and bottom

Diff ... set as loose as i could without any slippage on track

Upper links std. position on the hub 2nd hole in bottom row on the tower

2deg hubs used

1deg neg camber

Track was high grip i'm told and it was pretty hot for over here so i was using take off premounted cs 27's . to me they didn't seem to go off through the run so i assumed they weren't over heating

Like i said i have terrible mid corner steering it just seems to take an age to turn, although initial steering is pretty fierce. Sweeping bends are no problem at all, it's the slower 180's that cause the problem when i just have to wait while the car slows enough to go around

Any help please ??
Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 AM   #7325
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Merciless, I was down at southend yesterday and was having the exact same problem as you. Try the ballstud thing on the hubs to get rid of the bump steer problem as Sushi said. I tried it yesterday and it really helped alot with mid corner.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #7326
Tech Master

Guys thanks for the replys,

BUMPSTEER already shimmed out as much as possible,

I was going to try using the upper position for the front links next, I thought making the rear links longer would have gave the rear MORE roll and thus more grip though ??

AGAIN thanks for the help and keep it coming.

I have also thought about rebuilding the rear diff in a hope to try and get it even looser as some of the local guys seemed to have a small amount slip in there set-up and i wonder if thats to increase steering responce......
Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #7327
Tech Regular

Try going to 4 or 6 deg caster, or maybe less front droop.
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #7328
Tech Master

Thanks Robfo,

At present i'm already at 4deg. front caster (sorry thought i'd posted that )

With 1mm of upward movement on the front from static and 3mm on the rear

Didn't think i could realisticly reduce the front droop much more

It's why i'm asking the question here, i thought i had done most of the obvious things to have lots of steering
Old 05-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #7329
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_L
Hey Merciless, I was down at southend yesterday and was having the exact same problem as you. Try the ballstud thing on the hubs to get rid of the bump steer problem as Sushi said. I tried it yesterday and it really helped alot with mid corner.
Steve,

I don't suspose you could post me a link or a base set-up you guys would start from normally for tarmac ?? just so i can see if i'm way off base with any settings ??
Old 05-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #7330
Tech Adept

Rodders,
How tight was your rear diff. Did you adjust it or was it still the same as for carpet. Maybe try putting 1/2 turn tighter on the rear diff may work.
FTQ Models
Sean T Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #7331
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Guys thanks for the replys,

BUMPSTEER already shimmed out as much as possible,

I was going to try using the upper position for the front links next, I thought making the rear links longer would have gave the rear MORE roll and thus more grip though ??

AGAIN thanks for the help and keep it coming.

I have also thought about rebuilding the rear diff in a hope to try and get it even looser as some of the local guys seemed to have a small amount slip in there set-up and i wonder if thats to increase steering responce......
It's a little bit different when you are moving the rear link further out ont he rear hub. Generally when you lengthen the camber link by moving the position on the shock tower further towards the centerline of the car, it will create more mechanical grip in the middle and exit of the turn.

When you move the camber link further out on the rear hub.... it creates less overall traction in the middle and exit of the turn. Move it to the inside, it will give you slightly less initial grip, but more in the middle and exit of the turn.

-Korey
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #7332
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean T Guy
Rodders,
How tight was your rear diff. Did you adjust it or was it still the same as for carpet. Maybe try putting 1/2 turn tighter on the rear diff may work.
Hey Sean, now your really messing with me ..... tighter that'll give me less steering !! Hey if the weathers nice this weekend i'm having ya
Old 05-08-2006, 04:30 PM   #7333
Tech Master

Sorry forgot to say Sean i had an awesome time, so thanks for all your help with gearing etc on the day.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #7334
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRX-S Bill
Hi Merci,

Look at all the posted setups for carpet and asphalt. Not one has heavier springs on the rear.

Bill
...how did that setup work at Ripon?
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #7335
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
...how did that setup work at Ripon?
Qualified 5th. Seemed good; but, the grip was ridiculously high for the race and EVERYONE was surprisingly fast. Got bumped to last on the second lap and got back to 5th by the end.

In those conditions, even a JRX-S was ahead of me for most of the race.