R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #6976
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Had a re-occuring problem tonight ... as did my friend that also races an RDX. On both of our cars, we have been having a problem with our diffs losening off during our runs... the front diff on my car and the rear diff on his. His car is three races old, and my diff is three race days old (with entire ceramic rebuild). We race in the 19 turn class so the motor's power should not cause this problem.

It was so bad that for my last run I tightened the diff so that it would almost act like a spool and it still losened off about 2 minutes into the run.

Has anyone else had this happen on their car? If so, what caused it? We were pulling our hair out today - and we almost resorted to rock-paper-scissors to see who got to race with 2 good diffs. We must have rebuilt our diff about 10 times today trying to figure this out.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:03 PM   #6977
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shnot
Had heck of a time with my diff tonight, just a rear one keeps getting loose and even when it's tight, it's still little too loose for my driving style.....

anyone have a diff for sale? i'm loking for fully built one......

[email protected]
come-on man.....
Old 04-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #6978
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

check your diff screw it might be bent or broke!
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:24 PM   #6979
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
come-on man.....

KAAAMONG MANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s still looking for fully built diff to BUY!!!!!!!!!
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:14 AM   #6980
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricO3
Anybody make something that covers the bottom of the chassis for Asphalt racing? Kind of paranoid about scratching the chassis at my first Asphalt race . Something sort of thick, would like to stay away from a little sheet of "sticker". Was thinking I could get a small sheet of lexan (dont know where I'd find any) or some type of plastic and cut it out to the chassis, coutnersink a couple holes in it and screw it on through a couple of the screws in the bulkheads. Any other ideas?
Your local hobby shop should have one of these. It's adhesive, and you can trim it to match your chassis. I used one on my RDX last summer during a moment of weakness when I thought I wanted to race on asphalt.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2553&P=7

Edit: I think I just deciphered your post and realized you said you didn't want something like this. It's thick, and works pretty well. Not sure what else you could do.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #6981
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Had a re-occuring problem tonight ... as did my friend that also races an RDX. On both of our cars, we have been having a problem with our diffs losening off during our runs... the front diff on my car and the rear diff on his. His car is three races old, and my diff is three race days old (with entire ceramic rebuild). We race in the 19 turn class so the motor's power should not cause this problem.

It was so bad that for my last run I tightened the diff so that it would almost act like a spool and it still losened off about 2 minutes into the run.

Has anyone else had this happen on their car? If so, what caused it? We were pulling our hair out today - and we almost resorted to rock-paper-scissors to see who got to race with 2 good diffs. We must have rebuilt our diff about 10 times today trying to figure this out.
I've heard several people talk about this, and the only thing that can come into my mind would be that either the screw is striped, or its on the wrong side of the diff. Check your instruction manual and make sure that it's built correctly and that the screw is on the correct side. I've seen guys do this before with other cars and the same thing has happened. Also maybe check and make sure your cone washers haven't flatened out and go from there. Just my .02. Jeff Brown would probably have some more insight on this.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #6982
Suspended

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricO3
Anybody make something that covers the bottom of the chassis for Asphalt racing? Kind of paranoid about scratching the chassis at my first Asphalt race . Something sort of thick, would like to stay away from a little sheet of "sticker". Was thinking I could get a small sheet of lexan (dont know where I'd find any) or some type of plastic and cut it out to the chassis, coutnersink a couple holes in it and screw it on through a couple of the screws in the bulkheads. Any other ideas?
How about the COR78400 Undertray rain cover??? You would only need the bottom half of it.

JEFF BROWN - Does CorallyUSA have any of these in stock?
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #6983
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:

Been dealing with that since I got the car myself.Any ideas would be appreciated here too.Mario.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #6984
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i would replace the cone washers to start... and maybe check the thrust bearing... maybe? are you using 4 or 6 cone washers?

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 AM   #6985
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1
Been dealing with that since I got the car myself.Any ideas would be appreciated here too.Mario.
I have found for some reason (maybe I am wrong) that one of the thrust plates is different from the other and if they aren't in the right way I had my diff come loose as well.
Maybe its just me but I tried it both ways and one way worked perfect the other well, after three runs the diff got loose.
Also try the new diff screw and new cone washers. Use 6 to be sure.
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:21 AM   #6986
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I have found for some reason (maybe I am wrong) that one of the thrust plates is different from the other and if they aren't in the right way I had my diff come loose as well.
Maybe its just me but I tried it both ways and one way worked perfect the other well, after three runs the diff got loose.
Also try the new diff screw and new cone washers. Use 6 to be sure.
-Shookie <><
Where can I buy the new diff screw?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 AM   #6987
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Corally Usa.
There is a link if you hit Corally in my signature.
Here is the link to the screws...
http://www.corallyusa.com/2005/parts/77162.gif
just order part number #77162
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #6988
Tech Master

Duckman - check the snapring/C clip inside the diff. If it is bent at all it will catch and loosen diff, I bent one during a diff rebuild and it took a while to figure it out.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #6989
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonium
i would replace the cone washers to start... and maybe check the thrust bearing... maybe? are you using 4 or 6 cone washers?
I ran 2, 4, and 6 cone washers without any luck... though two would allow for more screw surface to make contact within the plastic nut that is pressed in the outdrive. Thanks for the suggestion though...
Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 AM   #6990
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacle
Duckman - check the snapring/C clip inside the diff. If it is bent at all it will catch and loosen diff, I bent one during a diff rebuild and it took a while to figure it out.
I will look into that... that it the only thing that I haven't checked.

Thank you.