R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #6886
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich

One point I find very helpfull which I have seen nobody do is the fact that I check my steering on a Hudy setup system with my radio ON. Before taking the reading, I throw the steering wheel on the radio left and then right several times. This makes sure that the servo is center when you take the readings and it also gives you readings that would be more race-condition like than using a dead servo. I find that using a dead servo to make steering adjustments can be difficult because of slop...there will almost always be 1 to several degrees of play or difference with each reading. But with the radio ON and the servo now powered, the steering system, regarless of play will usually always center itself.

Great minds think alike! You just described (to the letter) how I setup my car's steering. Slap it in the setup station...zero the radio...jiggle the steering wheel and plop it down...adjust....repeat.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #6887
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My RDX got stepped on tonight during the main. Broke all the body posts (HPI) and a shock tower. I think the body is done too. Damn the bad luck!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #6888
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Has anybody tried to balance the chassis with a brushless motor and GTB in the car? I've got a bunch of weight on the right side, and it still won't balance.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:07 AM   #6889
Suspended

Lightbulb

Tamiya 3-hole piston (P/N 53573) tip:

When using the 3-hole pistons, you have to add some shims because the piston is thinner than the stock Corally piston. Usually, this meant getting some motor shims of different thicknesses and adding them in different combinations until the extra gap is filled and the piston is snug.

Solution: Associated P/N 9630, B4 Ballend Washers. They are the perfect thickness. No more digging through extra thin motor shims and trying to determine the difference between a .005 and .003 thick washer. Just put one of these beneath the Tamiya piston during re-assembly, and you're done.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #6890
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
Great minds think alike! You just described (to the letter) how I setup my car's steering. Slap it in the setup station...zero the radio...jiggle the steering wheel and plop it down...adjust....repeat.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:26 AM   #6891
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shnot
Just finished building a rdx.... very limited space, anyone have a closeup pics on their neat electronics layout????? I'm using spectrum+q2.....

Thanx
Here is how I have mine setup now. I'm not 100% please with it, but it's getting close.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Corally RDX Touring Car-3-5-06-rdx-electronics.resized.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #6892
Tech Addict

yeah... I had to stand up my receiver as well..
Going to try it for the first time today!!!!!!!!!!!
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #6893
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here is mine it's a spectrum with a Corally (KO) speedo and it all fits nice! You shouldn't have to stand you receiver up with a QC2

I know I should clean up the wiring that's a good summer job
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #6894
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shnot
yeah... I had to stand up my receiver as well..
Going to try it for the first time today!!!!!!!!!!!
Once again, I run a Spektrum receiver and an QC2 and DO NOT stand anything on it's side. I move my servo to the forward position, mount the receiver behind it and then the QC2...all laying flat. I even have enough room to left so I am able to move my motor all the way forward if I needed too because of a larger pinion.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #6895
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here's my 2nd car with the gtb.
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 AM   #6896
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to BrettBowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Here is how I have mine setup now. I'm not 100% please with it, but it's getting close.
John, with my tekin speedo, I found the best way is to lay the reciever down, and get it back as far to the middle of the car without touching the belt. Then stand the speedo upright, and have it run nose to tail with the car, so the face of the speedo is facing the outside of the car. Pretty sure this is what Cuffs does as well.

Brett
BrettBowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #6897
Tech Addict

I looked at doing both side by side. The speedo would only stick out about 3/8". I decide to try this way first. It's still a work in progress I hate wires all over the place and what I have looks sloppy to me, so it will change.

take care
john
Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 AM   #6898
Tech Regular

Like Brett pointed out..the guys around here have been putting their speedos as close to centerline without hitting the belt and then standing the reciever on its side next to it and they can then adjust the freq if needed without removing the body

Jim

Last edited by CrashTstDummy; 04-05-2006 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
CrashTstDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:59 AM   #6899
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTstDummy
Like Brett pointed out.. ............speedos as close to centerline without hitting the belt and then standing the reciever on its side............

Jim
Maybe I read his post wrong, but he's putting the receiver flat next to the belt and standing the speedo up.

The way mine is setup now with 3800's I had to add 3/8 Ounce behind the battery to even the car out, so it's close to being balanced. Standing the speed up like Brett described would probably real close to perfect on side to side balance because it would move the weight out a little from how I have it now.

John
Old 04-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #6900
Tech Master

I run my speedo exactly how brett explained it and haven't had any problems yet.